Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2020 8:34:04 PM EDT
Just acquired this. Obviously a ceremonial/ drill rifle.

I would like to restore to original finish. Rifle is in great shape except for the ugly finish.
Value as is?
Where to send?
Cost?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Nick Kaikkonen at Vulcan Gun Restorations can strip the chrome off that rifle and reparkerize it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but I would hate to have to jump thru the hoops required to send it to Canada.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I sent a M1911A1 that was nickel plated to George Roghaar in Florida. He removed the nickel and parkerized it, turned out great and one would be hard pressed to tell it was ever nickel plated. Looks just like any other arsenal rebuilt M1911A1.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sent a M1911A1 that was nickel plated to George Roghaar in Florida. He removed the nickel and parkerized it, turned out great and one would be hard pressed to tell it was ever nickel plated. Looks just like any other arsenal rebuilt M1911A1.
View Quote
Thx Mad, will contact him tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I know it's heresy but it looks really awesome with the nickel.  The only ceremonial/drill rifles I've ever seen had been modified so they couldn't be fired, is that the norm or uncommon?  Also if it is shootable does the nickel finish affect it negatively?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know it's heresy but it looks really awesome with the nickel.  The only ceremonial/drill rifles I've ever seen had been modified so they couldn't be fired, is that the norm or uncommon?  Also if it is shootable does the nickel finish affect it negatively?
View Quote
I had a chromed 03 (Mk1) which was fully serviceable, and actually quite accurate.

EDIT: Adding picture. (Please excuse the totally awesome 1931 National Match...)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had a chromed 03 (Mk1) which was fully serviceable, and actually quite accurate.

EDIT: Adding picture. (Please excuse the totally awesome 1931 National Match...)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42782/IMG_4921_JPG-1245832.JPG
View Quote
Mine looks the exact same except for the stock.
Any idea of the serial number or year of yours. Mine is 1910 production.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with a low# gun resto like this. It looks pretty clean in the photo. Usually drill rifles are beat to crap. I would keep it in the collection as an example and use the money to get one that doesn't need to be sent off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with a low# gun resto like this. It looks pretty clean in the photo. Usually drill rifles are beat to crap. I would keep it in the collection as an example and use the money to get one that doesn't need to be sent off.
View Quote
That’s the conundrum, most guns of this nature are beat to shit, this one is so nice I feel it deserves a restoration.
But thanks, I really do want to hear differing opinion on this. It looks like deplating and refinishing would be about $400/$500.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s the conundrum, most guns of this nature are beat to shit, this one is so nice I feel it deserves a restoration.
But thanks, I really do want to hear differing opinion on this. It looks like deplating and refinishing would be about $400/$500.
View Quote
I would keep it as is. It's already been modified and that is part of the history in itself. There are plenty of unmolested specimens out there to fill the other holes in your collection.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine looks the exact same except for the stock.
Any idea of the serial number or year of yours. Mine is 1910 production.
View Quote
The serial dates to the year 1919.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's the conundrum, most guns of this nature are beat to shit, this one is so nice I feel it deserves a restoration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the conundrum, most guns of this nature are beat to shit, this one is so nice I feel it deserves a restoration.
If you take that 4-500 and add a lilttle to it and buy another M1903....then you have TWO!

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top