BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 67
Posted: 5/26/2006 7:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stickman]
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my refinishing contribution. It was done with Krylon ultra flat Khaki. I scuffed the surface, degreased the parts, painted and baked it all in the oven. It is decent durability wise so far. I would like to get it done professionally some day but for now this will do. (I didnt bake the scope or the pistol grip).

The second one is also Krylon ultra flat spray paint, prepaired in the same way. The first pics are right out of the oven.

Link Posted: 5/29/2006 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Before

After Duracoat coyote brown

It's been done for a year or so now, it's holding up well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 9:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#4]
Norrels OD Green,  

Link Posted: 5/30/2006 10:28:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: moosemcnally] [#5]

[img=img172.imageshack.us/img172/4763/dsc00966yj0.jpg]

[img=img257.imageshack.us/img257/5158/benswdlnd1vm4.jpg]

[img=img257.imageshack.us/img257/1132/dsc00962ew2.jpg]

I Figure I'll ad this for the folks who are looking for a bunch of pics without a bunch of talk!!!

Duracoat: OD Green, Woodland tan, Woodland Brown, Flat black. Duracoat flat clear over the top.

Bulldogarms templates
Link Posted: 5/30/2006 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2006 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Norrell's new Glossy Black on a 30 Round Thompson mag.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2006 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Heres a quick one to start, I'll try to get some more up later.  ABS barrel with stainless areas, larue block, and vortex sprayed with colt grey duracoat.  Stock, pistol grip, eotech and bottom rail panel duracoated also.

Link Posted: 6/2/2006 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
This was my first to attempts with moly resin a couple of years ago...

A few rifles later these two where about six months ago...

Now I'm starting to play around with duracoat...

It's the same SBR as above I just got an itch one day to make it black again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]
So is it difficult to do a camo pattern with the norrell's? I haven't seen too many examples, actually your's are the first. Did you use any kind of decal style pattern like duracoat sells?

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to do all the different colors/patterns while curing it all. Do you wait until all colors are on before the final baking?
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By RobT2K:
I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to do all the different colors/patterns while curing it all. Do you wait until all colors are on before the final baking?

Ya with norrels you need to cure each color before the next goes on otherwise colors will blend together.

As far as templates:
I tried it once on a bolt rifle.  I wasn't really happy with the results.  If I had taken more time I probably would have gotten the look I was going for.  I just couldn't see investing the time.

For digital or 'busy" camo patterns I'd recomend duracoat.  It's just alot easier when it comes to templates IMO.
So for norrels I stick with freehand camo paterns with no sharp edges.
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 8:58:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: infsqdldr] [#12]
od duracoat

gonna do a beowulf and .223 upper soon.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
If I knew how to post pics, I would show off my new SBR build that I just did in flat dark earth KG Gun Kote..
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
t
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
DuraCoat in Sniper Green. Testors airbrush. I initially applied this too heavy since I have never sprayed anything before. Duracoat dries very fast. I'm going to do some mags in HK Black next.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 6:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKgnnr] [#16]
Duracoated S&W Model 36 Chiefs Special - Grey Wolf frame, Matte Black cylinder.

Before:

After:
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zak2427] [#17]
My 11.5 SBR.  Still waiting for  my form 4 to get here and I will have the AAC M4-2K suppressor added.  Dark earth KG Gun Kote on all metal.  The pistol grip is krylon tan...   it will soon be done with the new air dry dark earth KG Kote when it gets here.    Eventually I will throw some krylon greens and brown on for accents.

Link Posted: 6/19/2006 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Before:

After:

All were done with Duracoat over Parkerizing. The AK was done by CCR, the AR's were done by The Gun Garage.  

The reason for refinishing them was that they all had some light rusting (my fault....dessicant was saturated and they were in a damp place in a drafty gun cabinet.) I have a real safe now in a better place, so no more worries.

DW
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 2:48:25 AM EDT
[#19]
That is some amazing stuff.... the second picture top rifle is so camo'd it doesnt even look like an AR anymore...
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By moosemcnally:
img47.imageshack.us/img47/718/benswdlnd17cn.jpg

img123.imageshack.us/img123/459/benswdlnd26mu.jpg

I Figure I'll ad this for the folks who are looking for a bunch of pics without a bunch of talk!!!

Did you use a template for that or did you freehand it? Also, what is your opinion on sandblasting prior to Duracoating.

Looks great by the way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Springer Champ before-

After, using Norrell's Colt Gray-Black on the frame and Norrell's Flat Black on the slide and small parts.

Link Posted: 6/28/2006 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I have decided to take a chance at will be Duracoating an AK this weekend (Along with a couple others; SKS, Glock and another AK)

I will post some before pictures now and then some prep and finish pics.

The process I plan to use is heavily degrease all metallic items with Gun Scrubber. Place in over at 110f for awhile, let cool and degrease again.

Blast with a sandblaster do remove any flaky blueing and take out some nicks.

Spray in a nifty homemade spraybooth I am planning on building.

Cross fingers and hope for the best.

Here are the before pics. of the AK. Will add more of the other weapons as they become available.

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/3.jpg
The weapon prior to breakdown.
http://www.swheath.com/weapons/9.jpg
Picture 2 prior
http://www.swheath.com/weapons/4.jpg
Breakdown prior to blasting.

More to come.

Link Posted: 6/29/2006 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Tested:
Well I have decided to take a chance at will be Duracoating an AK this weekend (Along with a couple others; SKS, Glock and another AK)

I will post some before pictures now and then some prep and finish pics.

The process I plan to use is heavily degrease all metallic items with Gun Scrubber. Place in over at 110f for awhile, let cool and degrease again.

Blast with a sandblaster do remove any flaky blueing and take out some nicks.

Spray in a nifty homemade spraybooth I am planning on building.

Cross fingers and hope for the best.

Here are the before pics. of the AK. Will add more of the other weapons as they become available.

www.swheath.com/weapons/3.jpg
The weapon prior to breakdown.
www.swheath.com/weapons/9.jpg
Picture 2 prior
www.swheath.com/weapons/4.jpg
Breakdown prior to blasting.

More to come.

TEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Kimber TLE II with Swedish K duracoat frame.
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is some pics of a Glock 27 that I recently Duracoated. It's a weapon Iv'e had for 10+ years and was looking a little worn so I hit the frame and slide with Woodland Tan and the accent parts with flat black.

Hope you like it.

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/g27.1.jpg

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/g27.2.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 7/4/2006 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's some of mine using KG gunkote:

Link Posted: 7/4/2006 3:03:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Well there really isn't any plae to post pics. of an SKS so I thought I would through this in.

It is a Czech SKS with a 24" barrel. I took it and added a Choate machine Dragnuv stock, bipod, am installing a 4x12-50mm scope but need to get the holes for the Choate SKS Scope mount tapped first.

Had some minor problems with flaking on the stock but the Duracoat stuck well otherwise. I used woodlan tan, coyote brown, tiger stripe green and matte black. I then tried to custom mix the colors a little bit more what I was looking for. Overall I am happy with it but will go back and touch up some spots and try and get rid of the flame pattern.

Let me know what you think of it.

Here is the striaght out of the box weapon

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/SKS1.jpg

Here it is after refinishing

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/SKS.10.jpg

And as some like to say "In it's native environment".

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/SKS.4.jpg

http://www.swheath.com/weapons/SKS.7.jpg

Link Posted: 7/4/2006 3:04:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tested] [#29]
It's a little different but I like it. I'm getting more into the two tone ones.

Originally Posted By Dragonfly228:
img390.imageshack.us/img390/8743/gayrightnewsoc6ct.jpg

Good job.hug.gif
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a little different but I like it. I'm getting more into the two tone ones.

img390.imageshack.us/img390/8743/gayrightnewsoc6ct.jpg

Good job.

Remember, it would always be a good idea to reveal the brand as well as the color you used on your guns, in case you inspire someone...
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 8:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragonfly228] [#31]
Here's anonther one I did with KG gunkote.  My stainless Ruger MkIII that I redid in OD and Black:
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not very goodat this kind of stuff, but a friend of mine had a Egyptian AK that got submerged during Katrina.  He didn't have a lot to put in to it so I took it on as a project.

The wood was toast...

I too steel wool ti everything then degreased it all.  Heated it with a paint remover and sprayed it with flat black Krylon then baked it on with the heat gun.

Did a couple of "pretty things" like filling in the sight markings and fire controll lever with white.  Put on some cheapo green furniture, replaced the gas tube, put a rail on the left side for a light and added a one point sling.

I was pleased as was my friend
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 8:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragonfly228] [#33]
Another OD and Black KG gunkote job for a friends Browning high power:
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 3:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tested] [#34]
height=8
Here's anonther one I did with KG gunkote.  My stainless Ruger MkIII that I redid in OD and Black:
img128.imageshack.us/img128/1553/mkiiiobl1qh.jpg

I like that one. I might do my Ruger 10/22 this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
height=8
Originally Posted By Currahee:
I'm not very goodat this kind of stuff, but a friend of mine had a Egyptian AK that got submerged during Katrina.  He didn't have a lot to put in to it so I took it on as a project.

The wood was toast...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/AKProj2.jpg

I too steel wool ti everything then degreased it all.  Heated it with a paint remover and sprayed it with flat black Krylon then baked it on with the heat gun.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/AKProj5.jpg  

Did a couple of "pretty things" like filling in the sight markings and fire controll lever with white.  Put on some cheapo green furniture, replaced the gas tube, put a rail on the left side for a light and added a one point sling.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/PMAK2.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/PMAK1-1.jpg

I was pleased as was my friend

You did a great job on it. Looks like you put some serious time into that one. How does pre-heating the metal help with it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]

You did a great job on it. Looks like you put some serious time into that one. How does pre-heating the metal help with it?

Thanks...it's the weapons work I am most proud of (I know it's not much).  preheating the metal is supposed to make it bond better.  It seems to work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Just completed my first build & Refinish project.

Used KG Kote,  Titanium Gray and Foliage Green.  Both ended up being a little lighter than I expected, but I'm still happy with the results.  Thanks for all the help!

Link Posted: 7/9/2006 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#38]
height=8
Originally Posted By Turn-Key:
Just completed my first build & Refinish project.

Used KG Kote,  Titanium Gray and Foliage Green.  Both ended up being a little lighter than I expected, but I'm still happy with the results.  Thanks for all the help!href=webpages.charter.net/pjaugust/Before1.jpg

webpages.charter.net/pjaugust/Build.jpg

I was admiring that one in the AR forum. Looks like it came out very nice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's a couple I have done.
My carry S&W M37.  The steel parts were starting to rust up some, grey Duracoat.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/bqnestle/2tone4.jpg
Old School Nelspot paintball gun.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/bqnestle/toddnelspot1.jpg

Key to a good finish is surface prep.  

Sorry they aren't AR's, hopefully soon I'll have a few of them up here too.

Brad
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 1:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragonfly228] [#40]
Just finished this KG kote job for a home schooling mom who wanted something...different.  The pink color is a custom mix of satin red and flat white.  I still need to clean it up here and there and I was trying out different rail cover configurations.  The pictures are a bit dark (making the pink look a bit more red) but I had to do it at night indoors.  I will replace it with better pictures if I get a chance to.

Link Posted: 7/14/2006 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Here is some pics of a Glock 27 that I recently Duracoated. It's a weapon Iv'e had for 10+ years and was looking a little worn so I hit the frame and slide with Woodland Tan and the accent parts with flat black.

Hope you like it.

www.swheath.com/weapons/g27.1.jpg

www.swheath.com/weapons/g27.2.jpg

hink
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Pinoy_AR15:

Here is some pics of a Glock 27 that I recently Duracoated. It's a weapon I've had for 10+ years and was looking a little worn so I hit the frame and slide with Woodland Tan and the accent parts with flat black.

Hope you like it.

www.swheath.com/weapons/g27.1.jpg

www.swheath.com/weapons/g27.2.jpg

I think you did a great job on your Glock 27. I got a 17 and 30 myself and I wish I could do the same thing you did. Did you have to disassemble every single piece of your 27 to come up with that new finish?

Thanks very much. I did disassemble it beyond the typical field stripping to paint it. Here is a link to a site that has some decent directions for total disassembly.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

There really is no need to strip down the firing pin as it is a small part that is easily lost and a pain to reassemble..

I stripped it down to where the pins and such that I wanted black would be separate from the part I wanted Tan. I then airbrushed several coats of Woodland Tan Duracoat on the frame and then airbrushed Flat Black Duracoat (wear painting gloves, my fingernails are still tan and black) on the smaller parts so that they would have a new finish. Wait 2 hours between coats so that the layers can dry and begin the polymerization/epoxy process.

Waiting overnight or baking prior to reassembly would have been a good idea but I am to impatient for that.

Duracoating the G27 really was fun and I am looking forward to spiffing up some of my other weapons with worn down finishes.

Link Posted: 7/15/2006 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I checked the link you gave me, very helpful indeed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#44]
This one I did with Alumahyde II.  The pattern is my own, and I call it dragon stripe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 4:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkRSims] [#46]

Norrells Green/Grey on the Lower, Upper, Charging Handle, Front sight base, Handguard caps, Delta Ring and Flash Hider.

I finished this the other day. My first refinishing job and my first complete AR15 build, from a complete tear down and all used parts except the barrel and the handguards.

I thought it was going to turn out way too green, but when I started putting on the stocks, barrel, and controls, which I left parkerized, you could really start to see more of the grey.

The grass in the lower picture brings out the green too. It really turned out nice.

By the way, the only session at the range I've had time for, forty rounds went to point of aim at 25 then 100 yards with no changes to the sights and with no malfunctions. I think I got lucky

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 1:14:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: History_Prof] [#47]
Just a boring ol' Black Rifle.  Nothing fancy.  It is a DuraCoat Black Oxide Lower and Rock River Arms original finish upper.  The lower is an old Eagle Arms (before they bought the Armalite name) receiver, which had been finished in “Colt Grey.”  Only the lower, the part of the buffer tube that is showing, and the buttstock have been refinished.  I was attempting to match the RRA finish.  When I hold it in various light, I can see a difference between the Rock River finish and the DuraCoat. However, it is largely trivial.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/history_prof/e4705d55.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m151/history_prof/5bc3c5ab.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 5:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#48]
Well here is my BBQ pistol, or the beginning of it at least. It is just a cheap ass Rock Island Arms but it is spot on acurate and reliable with all HP's so far. I took some steel off around the mag release and under the trigger guard and rounded the front strap out a bit more and refinished the bottom with...... you guessed it.... KRYLON!!!!! I have alot more to do to this pistol... beaver tail grip, extended thumb safety, light rail, bobbed hammer, night sights, and maybe a guide rod. I will probably also refinish the bottom in coyote later on but for now Krylon is the king...

Oh, and I did the grips myself also but this is all about the refinishing

Link Posted: 7/21/2006 7:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragonfly228] [#49]
Here's my recently KG gunkote job done in a custom Foliage Green and Tan.  I need to do the mag floor plates (always something I forget to do).  The foliage green is also the new cerakote product while the tan is the regular gunkote stuff.  I also did all the interanl parts in KG crome silver.  This way I still have the protection with the KG product, and the easy wipe down cleaning of a glossy light colored surface.

Link Posted: 7/21/2006 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By DM1975:
Well here is my BBQ pistol, or the beginning of it at least. It is just a cheap ass Rock Island Arms but it is spot on acurate and reliable with all HP's so far. I took some steel off around the mag release and under the trigger guard and rounded the front strap out a bit more and refinished the bottom with...... you guessed it.... KRYLON!!!!! I have alot more to do to this pistol... beaver tail grip, extended thumb safety, light rail, bobbed hammer, night sights, and maybe a guide rod. I will probably also refinish the bottom in coyote later on but for now Krylon is the king...

Oh, and I did the grips myself also but this is all about the refinishing

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/pistol-tan.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/pistol-tan-2.jpg

sweet grips, and the front strap looks smooth as hell.  nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top