Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 12:40:49 AM EDT
These seem to be of good quality yet I do not see them spoken of very much.  Are the Boss presses no better than a Rockuchucker?  To me, the T7 appears to be a good marriage of speed and precision for reloading long range ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know why Redding isn't mentioned much on this forum but they make damn good equipment. To my knowledge they don't make a progressive.

If I were in the market for a turret press I'd have no hesitations purchasing a T7 and if I were in the market for another single stage press...and had the scratch...I'd have no hesitation in buying a Big Boss II.

Redding's powder measures have a reputation for being of excellent quality. Ditto their reloading dies.

Their stuff is made in USA with USA-sourced steel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m very interested in the T7, thanks for the reminder, I’ll edit the title.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m very interested in the T7, thanks for the reminder, I’ll edit the title.
View Quote
I have the Redding T7 and use it for all of my precision reloads. I have one die slot setup with the bullet seater and one die setup with the Redding instant indicator die. I'll seat the bullet, measure the ogive of the bullet, adjust the seating die, and finish seating the bullet.

Doing it this way ensures every single one of my loaded rounds have exactly the same base to ogive measurement, which of course is way more important than having consistent oal.

There are a lot of people on here with the T7 press. It's by far the best turret press on the market.

I think the big boss isn't as popular because there are so many cheaper options that are just as good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything Redding though. I personally would love to have a big boss, but I already have a Hornady LNL classic and a cheap Lee cast press so I don't really need a third single stage.

To my knowledge this is the fastest way to do this kind of seating.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a t7. It is a good press. I find the priming with large primers to be a bit finicky sometimes so I normally use my hand primer instead.

I have it mounted on a dillon strong mount with an inline roller handle. I think both were worthwhile upgrades.

The t7 leaves you a lot of room to work, it's easy to move cases in and out, and you have plenty of open space to load very large cartridges. The head rotates only with very deliberate force and is retained very firmly. I guess you could rotate through the turret to do a single round at a time but that would be quite tiresome I feel, so i normally just treat it like a single stage that just so happens to have more stations instead of loading sequentially like one might do with the Lee. The head can rotate clockwise or counterclockwise. It has been some time since I used a Lee (I gave mine to a new reloader) but I think it could only advance forward. I'm not sure why you would consider any turrets on the market other than the Lee or Redding honestly. The Lee smokes them all for speed and the Redding feels much higher quality than the other options.

I've never been a huge believer that a press was anywhere in the same realm of importance as many other easily controllable factors in terms of the quality of completed ammo, but I am very fond of my t7. The t7 does not give up anything to the rockchucker, but I somehow find a use for both of them anyway.

(Inline handle was added later, and is highly recommended)
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have a T-7.  I do not use mine as a pseudo-progressive press.  I install dies and leave them.  For example, in addition to rifle sizing and seating dies, I have sizing and seating dies but I also have things like a universal decapper and Redding Instant Indicator installed in the tool head.

I have no trouble with my priming system, large or small.  I see no need for the roller handle or elevated mount*.  If you want to spend the money to add these goodies, go for it, but they are not needed.

I have no insight into why people don't discuss them more.  Maybe it's because they just work (mine does).  Maybe it's because the T-7 is relatively expensive.  Maybe it's because few have them due to cost given the cheaper options available.  Maybe it's a combination of the above.

*  For me, the elevated mount would raise the press to be too high and would interfere with proper operation.  I wonder if Redarts' low seat height, tall bench and elevated mount have created the situation where he wants a roller handle, as this just isn't an issue for me.  Each person has to work out their own ergonomic issues.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Note I don't reload while seated. The stool is for casting, the other chair is for watching TV.

Rollers are just preference and obviously not strictly necessary, although for long periods of use they do reduce fatigue, which is to me very important for the dillons or star.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the BB2. And while it is a good press with few short commings, there are better choices that are cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Note I don't reload while seated. The stool is for casting, the other chair is for watching TV.

Rollers are just preference and obviously not strictly necessary, although for long periods of use they do reduce fatigue, which is to me very important for the dillons or star.
View Quote
Okay, that makes sense.  I reload while seated.  Different position = different ergonomics.

I like the ball.  It allows me to move very naturally.  I don't grasp the ball, my open hand slides over the top of the ball as it goes down and slides underneath the ball to push it back up.

I would guess the roller handle locks your hand and wrist into one position, albeit a strong one.

Did you buy the auto-feed priming system?  How do you like that?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If you mean the Dillon priming system I like it quite a bit. It is very reliable and a good time saver.

If you mean the Redding auto feeder, I don't use it very much because normally I use a hand primer for anything I load on non progressives and use that as a final inspection step for the brass. My results with it were good with small primers but it liked to hang up on large primers and forced me to disassemble it several times. About the only thing I use it for is 5.7x28 because I never got around to buying the Lee hand primer shellplate. Converting between small and large is very fast and simple l.

So to answer your question I could take it or leave it, but depending on your style of loading it might be useful. I'm sure whatever issues I have with large primers are easily remedied but I just don't have much cause to use it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The Redding Big Boss II is a solid single stage press.

The Redding T-7 is the only turret press worth speaking about. (the RCBS is so wobbly, and the Lyman (old one not the new one) is functional for handgun but not rifle).  The new lyman turret looks like a skinny version of the T-7 but not as heavy duty.

The RCBS gets the most exposure with the inclusion of the Rock Chucker Supreme  Press in the Kit.

Redding does have kits, but they are expensive and almost no one stocks them.

I reload on Redding T7.  I used a RCBS JR press from 1973 to 2002.  I gave it to a new reloader who was happy with it.  Good Presses will last several lifetimes!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Redding T-7. Use it for all my low quantity brass resizing and my precision loads. Even when I load rifle on my 650 or 550 I resize and prep the brass first. Only resizing of rifle brass I do on my 650 is 233. I never resize on my 550, just load prepped brass.

One other place the T-7 is good, is loads that you only do in small quantity reloads since you just need a die set and shell holder

For all my precision loads I only use Redding die sets.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I very much appreciate the data added to this thread so far, gents.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The Redding also has a primer chute that you can attach some tubing to and route spent primers wherever you want. Just as a side note since not all presses have it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Redding also has a primer chute that you can attach some tubing to and route spent primers wherever you want. Just as a side note since not all presses have it.
View Quote
My T-7 came with a tube about 3 feet long. Had a plug in the end, pull it out throw in a soda bottle and you're ready to go.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the Redding construction is a touch nicer and better executed.

The old rock chuckers were also great.  The newer ones Can have some alignment issues from some complaints.   The big boss handles the spent primers better for sure.

I think Redding has always suffered for being too similar to RCBS except costing 5-10% more.

Most buyers are very satisfied with rcbs so no need to buy up.   add in the same factor for stocking dealers.   Therefore it became a self fulfilling prophecy.    What was on the shelf is what is sold.   In my years of shooting and going to stores I would see 90% stocking RcBS and little of the competition except some Lee stuff.    And this is in NY, Redding’s home state.

That said I have a big boss2 in the box on my shelf.  I have the CoAx, Dillon, Rock Chucker, and RS3 in use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top