Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 7:30:34 AM EDT
I'd like some pics and recommendations for red dot sights on the SG. Lessons learned, etc.

What to do, what to avoid.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I came here to find info on this exact topic. Shot a 2 gun match with a front bead and decided there has to be a better way.

I was considering using an Eotech 512 on my 500a. My thinking was that it had a fairly large fov. (And I have one)

Interested to see what others like.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
In the past, I used an Aimpoint Pro. I'm currently using a Holosun 503G. I've still got to figure out a slug load that shoots well and get it sighted in, but I've been pretty happy. The large circle of the ACSS works well with buckshot, and the subtensions will make longer shots with a slug easier.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the past, I used an Aimpoint Pro. I'm currently using a Holosun 503G. I've still got to figure out a slug load that shoots well and get it sighted in, but I've been pretty happy. The large circle of the ACSS works well with buckshot, and the subtensions will make longer shots with a slug easier.
View Quote

Thanks... I'm a big Aimpoint fan and was considering going in that direction.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t mind the RMR on my 590 and the 9moa dot works well for shot patterns. I zero slugs at 50 to the top of the dot and out to 75 they stay inside the dot.

Get a dedicated mount. Mine is on a larue qd and sits pretty high on top of the factory pic rail.

The small FOV is offset by the low profile and large peripheral, especially caused by the high mount making me keep my head up.

I need to pattern my le13200 vs my slug choice vs the generic buck i have. At 15-20yds everything seems to slam the shit out of steel so I guess it’s good enough.

Figure it’s more important to have a good slug zero than be closer to the buck pattern.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I drilled & tapped threads in my Remington 870 receiver and installed a picatinny rail on top. I installed a Vortex StrikeFire on it with the lowest ADM mount. I have a Magpul SGA stock and had to install the higher cheek riser for a good cheek weld due to the slightly raised red dot.

I put a Vortex SPARC on my Benelli M4 with the lowest Bobro mount.

I'd post pics, but PhotoBucket is screwed these days.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]

The Trijicon RMR type 2's hold up well on the 12 gauge. I prefer the smallest MOA dot I can get. I have zero issues locating the 1 moa dot since you're using a solid cheekweld. I'd rather have a precise dot for slug shots at range than a big blob that obstructs the target. That's just my personal preference though.

I had an Aimpoint T1 on the M4 previously, but disliked how constraining it was to look thru a tube. The RMR obstructs less of your surrounding field of view. The Trijicon SRO obstructs less of the target area.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a red dot convert on shotguns.
A lot of the choice is personal preference though.  
I am a fan of the Aimpoint T-1 style but I am a Holosun believer/kool aid drinker - 503CU user here.  I love the Holosun reticle so I stick with that commonality with my shotguns.  I have not shot thousands of rounds yet, but I do not notice the toilet paper tube effect as much as I expected and I appreciate the closed emitter/system of a tube style red dot.

Lots of personal preference - so you may have to try a couple and try some mounts.
Like StrangerDanger posted above, they make specific mounts for certain guns like 1301s and M4s, but you can mount a red dot to a normal low mount and install it on provided picatinny rails on most tactical type shotguns.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks much guys... greatly appreciate the recommendations, tech notes, and pics.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried my rmr on a low qd mount but it was too high on the pic rail. Got the scalar works mount and it's perfect. Granted I haven't even shot the damn thing yet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Aridas mount and a Holosun 503 with a circle dot reticle on my 1301. Everyone who handles the shotgun loves the settup.

" />
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried my rmr on a low qd mount but it was too high on the pic rail. Got the scalar works mount and it's perfect. Granted I haven't even shot the damn thing yet.

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

I am in the same boat as you - same mount, same optic, have not been able to shoot it yet.

Still recovering from the carpal tunnel surgery I got a month ago. Cannot wait to get it zero'd and see what I think.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel like the red dot (especially with a large dot) is the perfect optic for a shotgun. A shockwave with a RMR and my less than ideal skills was absurdly capable at a 3-gun match, with a stocked gun? I see no possible downside.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd like some pics and recommendations for red dot sights on the SG. Lessons learned, etc.

What to do, what to avoid.

View Quote
Don't know if this will help, back in the 90's I had a Mossberg 500 that had a laser sight made into the forend.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have  Holosun 503gu/KE Arms Mount on a Shockwave.

Still going strong
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Scalarworks SYNC if your shotgun accepts one.

I would absolutely go with an Aimpoint Micro style sight (T1/H1/T2/H2) over a reflex like the RMR. I've had both and the T2 is way faster on transitions, which I believe is due to the clarity of the glass and lack of distortion compared to the RMR. The T2 also co-witnesses much better than the RMR. I ran the RMR for a while and switching to the T2 has been a game changer. Plus the T2 has a closed emitter which is another bonus. Also, I would go with an H2 (as opposed to T2) if I was buying new, since the benefit of the T2 is night vision settings and I don't see much use for passive aiming on this type of setup.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]

I have a Holosun on my JTS M12AK-T1... I put it on and haven't sighted it in... you just point at whatever you are trying to hit and you hit it if it's in the optic window

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]

That looks like it's in search of an eyebrow to shred!

OP, I don't have a pic but I have a Holosun 512 on my HD shotgun and I really like the large window and the features. The 512 is the same basic format of a 510 but fully enclosed and easy change battery.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That looks like it's in search of an eyebrow to shred!

OP, I don't have a pic but I have a Holosun 512 on my HD shotgun and I really like the large window and the features. The 512 is the same basic format of a 510 but fully enclosed and easy change battery.
View Quote

its just a cover over a smaller red dot that i grabbed off another site
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish the SRO was duyy rated because i think that would be the perfect balance of size/weight/window.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Been thinking about this too, and was moving towards the mounts that go between the receiver and the stock.  I think you get a much better "normal" grip, cheek weld, and sight picture, just using the red dot instead of the bead.

Haven't done it yet, just that's the way I was leaning.  "Buy once, cry once"
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Revised my setup on my M4.  Was using the OEM pic rail and a Holosun on an ADM low mount.  Found that bringing the gun up fast, my head would not be in the right position to see through the optic cleanly - optic sitting a little too high.
Scalarworks makes some nice direct mounts to the receiver in the existing mounting holes.  Mounts easily and brings the optic down a bit and I can still use the factory iron sights through the Holosun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Revised my setup on my M4.  Was using the OEM pic rail and a Holosun on an ADM low mount.  Found that bringing the gun up fast, my head would not be in the right position to see through the optic cleanly - optic sitting a little too high.
Scalarworks makes some nice direct mounts to the receiver in the existing mounting holes.  Mounts easily and brings the optic down a bit and I can still use the factory iron sights through the Holosun.
https://i.imgur.com/IjlgBjt.jpg
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a See All Sight. Not a red dot but I like it. No batteries, tritium powered at night and fine for what a shotgun is for. Second pic shows reticle but its not an accurate pic as it’s hard to get camera focused properly on reticle.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Trijicon RMR w/scalarworks mount.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Just sighted in my Holosun 510C on my KS-12 today and as long as you can handle the size, I would recommend it.  The cost was more than I originally wanted to spend ($310), but I'm happy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Put a Sig Romeo 5 on my 590a1 SPX recently and have really fallen in love with it. I’ve only shot a handful of slugs through it, but so far so good. I just mounted it using the factory low mount and the 590’s factory rail. Ended up having a lower 1/3 to 1/4 sighting picture with the irons.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi folks, any recommendations on dot size?

I am finishing up my Saiga 12 conversion for 3-gun, and just installed an ultimak rail. I just test fit a primary arms microdot. It sits a little high for good cheek weld with a triangle side folder. I'm considering getting an RMR. I'm thinking of replacing the 6.5 MOA dot on my handgun and putting it on the Saiga. Would 6.5 be a good size for a shotgun? My local matches will have Texas stars and Polish plate racks at 15-20 yards, and the occasional slug at 25-50 yards. If I zero slugs to 50, will my "birdshot" aim be close?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top