Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2023 10:58:32 PM EDT
Been asked quite a few times via IM here about recommended spares for the different models of the Barrett rifles.

The common parts will be the recoil pad and recoil pad screws. They are the same for the 3 .50’s
The pull pins. Will be the same across the 3 models. But you can get them at McMaster Carr and save a lot.  Few of you get to get together and split the cost.
The pistol grip, pistol grip screw, safety detention and safety spring are standard AR parts. The safety itself looks AR, but the geometry is different inside the trigger housing.
If you are in the habit of removing the muzzle brakes on any of the rifles for cleaning. I would get a muzzle brake shim set.

On the M99.
The firing spring, firing pin. Possibly the cocking piece on the bolt. It’s built like a brick shithouse and will most likely outlive you unless you are really heavy handed on disassembly.
Possibly the trigger connecting rod from the trigger to the sear.

The M95.
Firing springs. The rifle uses 2 of them. Cocking piece. They have broken before. Get a spare. Firing pin also. Usually the damage to them is from a pierced primer and they get gas cutting really bad as they are more pointed compared to the 82a1’s.
The 95 is pretty simple and doesn’t require a lot of spares. Again, pins and springs.
Extractor and ejector assembly parts.

The 82A1/107 family.
The barrel springs will eventually lose strength and need replacing. There are 2. Get the 4 1/8” hex screws. Torque to 45 in/lb on all 4 screws. When snipping them off after installing in the barrel key, file flat and knock them back flush with the barrel key and front barrel bushing. Then torque.
Extractor and ejector assembly parts
In the bolt carrier. The 3 pins that retain the sear assembly, the cocking piece and firing pin assembly. A firing pin assembly. Possibly the firing pin, firing spring, firing pin extension and the 2 pins that hold it all together if buying separately.
A sear assembly if you have the newer 3 piece sear. For the older rifles with the single piece sear, get one.
Bolt return spring that slides hover the firing pin assembly.
Possibly the bolt latch, bolt latch spring and pin.
The barrel bumpers. They eventually soften and wear or tear. The barrel will need to be removed and new ones installed. The one that sits against the barrel extension has a flat side. Make sure it sits in the flat on the barrel. Radius side facing forward.
The impact bumper has a radius all the way around it also. Make sure it faces the barrel stop in the upper. When installed, the radius on both bumpers will face each other from opposite sides of the barrel stop.

Older rifles that do not have the side screws on the muzzle brake are red loctited on and torqued on with a whack of a dead blow hammer. To remove, heat up the area on the brake that threads non the barrel with a small propane torch. When you see a little puff of white smoke come from the threads, the red loctite has broken loose.
Re-install with the muzzle brake shims with a small amount of red loctite on the barrel muzzle threads. Thread on the barrel and put the muzzle brake on a table with the one side that needs to be hit to finish lining it up level slightly off a sturdy table. A few light hits with a rubber dead blow will finish torquing it on.
That goes for each model of the .50’s with the arrowhead brake.

I will update this if I think of anything else to add.
Please don’t hesitate to ask questions if need be. I will help when I can.

Tony
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That is really hard to tell. Rebarreling the nM95 and 82a1 family of rifles is pretty easy. The M99 needs a specific jig we fabled up in the shop. Also need the slip over the barrel wrench to engage the castle nut that holds the barrel in from the front.
The barrel presses in from the rear to the front. There is a special jig in the shape of the bolt that pushes the barrel in from the rear using a hydraulic jack.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]

The 82A1/107 family.
The barrel springs will eventually lose strength and need replacing. There are 2. Get the 4 1/8" hex screws. Torque to 45 in/lb on all 4 screws. When snipping them off after installing in the barrel key, file flat and knock them back flush with the barrel key and front barrel bushing. Then torque.
Extractor and ejector assembly parts
In the bolt carrier. The 3 pins that retain the sear assembly, the cocking piece and firing pin assembly. A firing pin assembly. Possibly the firing pin, firing spring, firing pin extension and the 2 pins that hold it all together if buying separately.
A sear assembly if you have the newer 3 piece sear. For the older rifles with the single piece sear, get one.
Bolt return spring that slides hover the firing pin assembly.
Possibly the bolt latch, bolt latch spring and pin.
The barrel bumpers. They eventually soften and wear or tear. The barrel will need to be removed and new ones installed. The one that sits against the barrel extension has a flat side. Make sure it sits in the flat on the barrel. Radius side facing forward.
The impact bumper has a radius all the way around it also. Make sure it faces the barrel stop in the upper. When installed, the radius on both bumpers will face each other from opposite sides of the barrel stop.

View Quote
Tony, thank you. Are these all parts available from Barrett's webstore? What is a general guideline for replacing some of the aforementioned parts round count wise in the 82A1/107 Family?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
Tony, thank you. Are these all parts available from Barrett's webstore? What is a general guideline for replacing some of the aforementioned parts round count wise in the 82A1/107 Family?
View Quote

There really isn’t a guide line round count wise. Some ammo loaded hotter than others makes it pretty hard not tell without laying hands on and seeing it first hand.

You should be able to buy all the parts you need on the web store.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

There really isn't a guide line round count wise. Some ammo loaded hotter than others makes it pretty hard not tell without laying hands on and seeing it first hand.

You should be able to buy all the parts you need on the web store.
View Quote
Thank you sir. I probably should start stocking up!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for this thread! Really sad we need it though...
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
If you buy a used 82a1 style rifle, remove the bolt carrier and pin the buffer back one or 2 holes in the main spring housing.
Look at the area in the trigger housing where the accelerator in the bolt carrier hits the trigger housing in the lower.
They should be a little wear there. Always will have the parkerizing worn away. But if that area where the accelerator arm hits in the lower is starting to mushroom or getting peeled pretty badly, some hot ass ammo has been fired through it on a pretty regular schedule.

The trigger housing is heat treated before welding into the lower reciever. Can't recall the Rc number right off, but it seems to be in the high 30's.
The accelerator in the carrier is through hardened to about 40-42 Rc if I remember correctly. So there will be some wear in the trigger housing.

Another tell is the impact bumper in the upper. If it is getting pretty badly chewed up from recoil, it's had a hard life also. It should be replaced every few thousands rounds anyway.
That bumper is the forward one on the barrel.
The battery bumper is the one against the barrel extension in the rear of the barrel. It's main job is to cushion the blow of the barrel going back forward. They usually don't damage at all unless the flat of the battery bumper gets off the flat of the barrel. It's a good idea to keep an eye on that bumper to insure it stays correctly oriented.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you so much sir!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad to help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you Tony! If you're ever down in southeast Alabama or Panama City let me know. I'll pay for your beer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By recoiljunky:
Thank you Tony! If you're ever down in southeast Alabama or Panama City let me know. I'll pay for your beer.
View Quote

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to help
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Spoke to one of the Australians @ SHOT - according to him, the intent was to expand in the US consumer market.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Spoke to one of the Australians @ SHOT - according to him, the intent was to expand in the US consumer market.
View Quote

We can only hope, but I would not count on it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Did they say what they would bring in, if anything?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nikonov:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nikonov:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Spoke to one of the Australians @ SHOT - according to him, the intent was to expand in the US consumer market.

I forgot to ask for a Leader.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#18]

I forgot to ask for a Leader.
View Quote

Charles St. George was the inventor of the Leader rifle. He worked at Barrett for a while . Last time I spoke with him, he was considering making it here in the States. He did live in the Nashville area.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Charles St. George was the inventor of the Leader rifle. He worked at Barrett for a while . Last time I spoke with him, he was considering making it here in the States. He did live in the Nashville area.
View Quote

Looked that rifle up, pretty interesting design
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:10:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikonov] [#20]
I did read some reloading components do come from Australia (example I read was Hodgdon's 4350 comes from ADI). I hope we can get more reloading components availability like primers here in the states.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
@jbntex you might be interested in this thread
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

They have a track record for being shit, so I refuse to trust them.

Anyone here remember the F90 atrax bullpup (Aussie EF88/steyr AUG) that was slated to get built/imported into the USA?
Lithgow Went so far as to have a facility contracted, workers hired, assembly lines setup, and receivers machined here in the industrial district south of Atlanta Georgia.

Only for one crazy dude to do a shooting in NZ, a neighboring country, and the Aussies immediately rolled over and pissed themselves. Tossed all the money invested, and said some weak effeminate shit about “weapons of war dont belong on the streets”.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Great thread, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#24]
What’s your opinion on Barrett’s spare part kit they sell? The upgraded pins look super nice and the other parts seem like a good thing to have. Just not sure if the $185 price is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Houlds:
What’s your opinion on Barrett’s spare part kit they sell? The upgraded pins look super nice and the other parts seem like a good thing to have. Just not sure if the $185 price is worth it.
View Quote

The spare part kit is a good thing to have. Their pricing is pretty high.

Pretty sure the pins can be had through McMaster Carr for a lot less.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Are these the pins?  Any idea on which PN or size?

https://www.mcmaster.com/pins/ring-grip-quick-release-pins/
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#27]
They are the 1/4" diameter. Measure your takedown pins. I forget the length.
The M82A1 family of rifles, the rear takedown and both the takedown pins for the M95 are the same length. On the M82A1 style rifles, the front takedown and the 3 takedown pins on the M99 are the same.

Pretty sure you can get the pins in 100 count packaging and save money. Offer up what you don't need on the EE for much cheaper than Barrett offers them
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I ended up getting the entire kit for around $130 which I thought wasn't terrible. I am going to look getting the springs to have since I plan on owning this rifle for a while.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#29]

The M95.

Firing springs. The rifle uses 2 of them. Cocking piece. They have broken before. Get a spare. Firing pin also. Usually the damage to them is from a pierced primer and they get gas cutting really bad as they are more pointed compared to the 82a1’s.
The 95 is pretty simple and doesn’t require a lot of spares. Again, pins and springs.
Extractor and ejector assembly parts.

View Quote

Where can I find the M95 cocking piece and firing pin ?  I checked Barrett's online store and neither of these items show up as available. Only the regular M95 spares kit listed on page 2 has everything else you mentioned. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By IWC71:

Where can I find the M95 cocking piece and firing pin ?  I checked Barrett's online store and neither of these items show up as available. Only the regular M95 spares kit listed on page 2 has everything else you mentioned. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

You would most likely have to call to order the cocking icee, firing pin and the firing pin retaining pin. I looked on the website a few days ago and didn’t see those parts listed.
The cocking piece used to be a hand fit item. But it was finally produced in a way as to eliminate the hand fitting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IWC71] [#31]

You would most likely have to call to order the cocking icee, firing pin and the firing pin retaining pin. I looked on the website a few days ago and didn’t see those parts listed.
The cocking piece used to be a hand fit item. But it was finally produced in a way as to eliminate the hand fitting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IWC71:

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MyAR15ID] [#32]
First, thank you for the information. I just got my M82A1. Prior owner shot 5 rounds. On my take down inspection. I found two slices in the bumper. Contacted Barrett and they said "This can happen when the barrel springs and barrel key are pressed against the bumper during storage, or during installation of the barrel key. "  

Sounds kinda odd to me. The thing can take the recoil. But, not being pushed against the barrel key?  Also, the gun has not been worked on or disassembled

Is there anything else I should check? I order two more bumpers. But, if something is happening. I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Can you post up a pic?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't have a sight to use to post pictures. However, I added the pictures to a post of mine in my local forum. Bottom of the page.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?499120-50BMG-headstamp-question&p=3409418#post3409418
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#35]
That didn't happen from firing or on disassembly or reassembling. That was a flaw in the recoil bumper when it was made by the vendor.
I would try to get a new one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I ordered two more. Because, one is none. I was thinking the same thing.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: atz] [#37]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
Are these the pins?  Any idea on which PN or size?

https://www.mcmaster.com/pins/ring-grip-quick-release-pins/
View Quote

These look to be the same pin. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pins/knob-grip-super-corrosion-resistant-locking-quick-release-pins/
Cheaper than Barrett but not hilariously so like the first ones you linked.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top