Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have bought the mask, if anyone had one in stock. I went with mustang based on recommendation. I think sometimes folks end up splitting hairs in a quest to post stats. The last few horsepower are the most expensive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have bought the mask, if anyone had one in stock. I went with mustang based on recommendation. I think sometimes folks end up splitting hairs in a quest to post stats. The last few horsepower are the most expensive.
View Quote

Pure speculation here but my guess is you’ll eventually end up owning more than one rimfire can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, and to be clear the Mustang is a great can and solid performer. You will be happy with this buy. All aluminum cans are not my thing, but they are light and quiet!

Like the poster above said, you will get more than 1 rimfire can. They are too good and too cheap not too!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pure speculation here but my guess is you’ll eventually end up owning more than one rimfire can.
View Quote

I’ll own as many cans as I can possibly afford. I would be going to pickup a Bushwacker 36 today, but the roads are crap.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's when you have both that you notice the weight.
View Quote

I have both and yes, if you hold them side by side, you can notice a difference but my point is A. The difference is minor and B. lighter is not always better. On my lighter hosts, I prefer the heavier can. The only time the lighter can feels better to me (in actual use) is on heavier hosts like the 22/45 tactical model and even then, its splitting hairs. That's just me and YMMV?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Rugged Occulus and I'll recommend Rex Selentium MG22 also.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Options are a lot better now than 15 years ago. I started with a YHM mite, then upgraded the core.
Today it would be a DA mask
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Options are a lot better now than 15 years ago. I started with a YHM mite, then upgraded the core.
Today it would be a DA mask
View Quote

The Mask is fantastic. I love mine.  I bought the newest YHM rimfire the Phantom 22 on a whim as I really wanted another rimfire can on hand and it has surprised me.  It's a pretty decent compared to the mask. Only a hair more first round pop and then sounds identical to me when compared side by side to the MASK.  Being a couple of ounces lighter is a bonus on the end of a handgun.  I'm glad I bought it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Mask is fantastic. I love mine.  I bought the newest YHM rimfire the Phantom 22 on a whim as I really wanted another rimfire can on hand and it has surprised me.  It's a pretty decent compared to the mask. Only a hair more first round pop and then sounds identical to me when compared side by side to the MASK.  Being a couple of ounces lighter is a bonus on the end of a handgun.  I'm glad I bought it.
View Quote

Lighter, only slightly more FRP and no difference after that but still only pretty decent?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing that's not mentioned here is accuracy degradation.

I have a TacSol Ascent. It's a good little can, but when I put it on my bolt gun, groups open from about .75" at 50 to about 1.5" or larger. I've done larger sample sizes (10 with, 10 without, 10 with on the first target again, 10 without on the second target again) and it's pretty noticable.

I wouldn't mind a POI shift as I can compensate for that.

I've tried aligning the baffles as best I can, etc. and it still increases group sizes.

I was considering a Q erector as the baffles screw together.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a TacSol Ascent. It's a good little can, but when I put it on my bolt gun, groups open from about .75" at 50 to about 1.5" or larger. I've done larger sample sizes (10 with, 10 without, 10 with on the first target again, 10 without on the second target again) and it's pretty noticable.

I've tried aligning the baffles as best I can, etc. and it still increases group sizes.

Any thoughts?
View Quote

Just that while I only have a few different models of rimfire suppressors, I've never seen them open up groups on my rifles. I've shot the best groups I've ever had through a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Texas Silencer Company Scoundrel (in jail) that I really like. Seems well made and easy to clean. I shoot it at the gun shop/range that I purchased it from. Can't wait to take it home!
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just that while I only have a few different models of rimfire suppressors, I've never seen them open up groups on my rifles. I've shot the best groups I've ever had through a suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts?

My groups open up slightly but I'm running a form 1 suppressor so I didn't have high expectations
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
My groups open up a bit also. I’ve never tried to quantify it and ASSumed it was just par for the course with rimfire due to tight bores.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My groups open up slightly but I'm running a form 1 suppressor so I didn't have high expectations
View Quote

I've built some tuning suppressors for rimfires that weigh under 3oz. Just for experiments sake you might add a 2-3oz weight to your suppressor, just to see if it helps with grouping. I've noticed group sizes change when tuning from .5 to .25 at 50 yds just by moving the weight.

First pic is the experiment, 2nd pic has a 1.8oz weight that can be moved from either ended of the threaded body. Groups were never bad really, but they got better with the tuning weight
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any thoughts?
View Quote

Might look at an AB Little Bird. Baffles screw in and it's threaded it's full length so you could tune till your hearts content.
https://www.absuppressor.com/little-bird
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Might look at an AB Little Bird. Baffles screw in and it's threaded it's full length so you could tune till your hearts content.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts?

That's interesting, and appears that it would be a lot easier to clean every 500ish rounds. I wonder what the "You should have cleaned this a couple of boxes ago. Now it's stuck." round count is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's interesting, and appears that it would be a lot easier to clean every 500ish rounds. I wonder what the "You should have cleaned this a couple of boxes ago. Now it's stuck." round count is.
View Quote

There is a youtube video by AB where they ran it 1200 rds with some full auto and other abuse and it still came apart but had a little damage I think
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My groups open up a bit also. I’ve never tried to quantify it and ASSumed it was just par for the course with rimfire due to tight bores.
View Quote

Sometimes, but tight bores have much less effect on low velocity, low pressure rounds with stubby projectiles.  There's really not enough gas volume or pressure with .22 LR to disrupt bullet flight as you might see with a high velocity rifle bullet through a tight or poorly aligned suppressor bore.

As detailed in the post below yours, barrel harmonics have a lot to do with it, and any pressure applied or added mass on a barrel change that.   This is why I tell people claims of no POI shift are absolute horseshit, it's really just dumb luck if your unsupressed POI and suppressed POI coincide, and minimal shift has to do with host weapon rigidity, not the can.   Short, fat free floated barrels on solid actions are always gonna be more consistent than skinny sporters, whether we're talking stringing with heat, stocks pushing on them or cans screwed onto muzzles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sometimes, but tight bores have much less effect on low velocity, low pressure rounds with stubby projectiles.  There's really not enough gas volume or pressure with .22 LR to disrupt bullet flight as you might see with a high velocity rifle bullet through a tight or poorly aligned suppressor bore.

As detailed in the post below yours, barrel harmonics have a lot to do with it, and any pressure applied or added mass on a barrel change that.   This is why I tell people claims of no POI shift are absolute horseshit, it's really just dumb luck if your unsupressed POI and suppressed POI coincide, and minimal shift has to do with host weapon rigidity, not the can.   Short, fat free floated barrels on solid actions are always gonna be more consistent than skinny sporters, whether we're talking stringing with heat, stocks pushing on them or cans screwed onto muzzles.
View Quote

I fully agree with this bit about POI shift. Granted, it's small sample sizes but the POI shift on my 8.5" 9mm upper with a YHM Wraith is zero but the same gun with a 16" upper from same manufacturer sees a drop. My 18" AR with a heavy profile barrel has some POI shift, but the same can on a 16" pencil barrel has a noticeable shift. Group sizes are all pretty much the same though.

My 22LR bolt gun is a 16" Christiansen Arms Ranger, so it's a pretty good little rifle. I cleaned the can once and didn't think to align the baffles and the POI was about 3 FEET down and left with a pattern of about a foot at 50 yards. Carefully aligning the baffles changes the POI straight down about an inch which is totally manageable but group sizes open up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Sooo….  The mask is out of stock.  I have a choice between the SF Ryder SS or the El Camino.  Which would you experienced ones choose?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sooo….  The mask is out of stock.  I have a choice between the SF Ryder SS or the El Camino.  Which would you experienced ones choose?
View Quote

El Camino is a poor performer on a pistol. Significant first round pop. No experience with the SF can. A recommendation I have is do not settle when buying a can.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neither. Don't buy a can based one what's in stock. if you want the mask, wait for it. It shouldn't take that long in the grand scheme of things.

If you really don't want to wait, the YHM Phantom .22 seems to be in stock at most places. I will actually be comparing one directly against my Mask and EII today or tomorrow so I can tell you how it stacks up if you are interested?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Neither. Don't buy a can based one what's in stock. if you want the mask, wait for it. It shouldn't take that long in the grand scheme of things.

If you really don't want to wait, the YHM Phantom .22 seems to be in stock at most places. I will actually be comparing one directly against my Mask and EII today or tomorrow so I can tell you how it stacks up if you are interested?
View Quote

Interested!
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interested!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interested!

I'd like to know what you think of phantom also. Mainly frp on pistols
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. Would wait or look elsewhere to see if they have it in stock. A long process and time to waitt to own them-dont do it just to settle on something.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a pair of Phantom’s and they exhibit FRP on my pistol’s so they’re pretty much used on my rifles only.

My Oculus, Mustang’s, TB TD22 and Mask have no to very little FRP on pistol’s.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have a pair of Phantom’s and they exhibit FRP on my pistol’s so they’re pretty much used on my rifles only.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I've heard other people say... You like your Mask or TBAC takedown more?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was curious about that? What is it with YHM and FRP? Seems like they all have that regardless of caliber?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I've heard other people say... You like your Mask or TBAC takedown more?
View Quote

I like my TB TD22 more.  Hate how the baffles don’t click together nice and tight on the mask.  This causes crap to build up around the inside of the tube and the outside of the baffles.  None of my other rimfire cans do this.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I like my TB TD22 more.  Hate how the baffles don’t click together nice and tight on the mask.  This causes crap to build up around the inside of the tube and the outside of the baffles.  None of my other rimfire cans do this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks. Good info
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I decided in the Optimum Micro. No FRP and stupid quiet on my Ruger 1022TD, American rimfire, charger and 2245. My choice was first to be "Overbuilt" and price. Being rated to 22-250 is a major plus. Quieter on my RAR 556 than my 36M. But on the Mini-14 it was the opposite. That was not a big deal. If I by another 22 suppressor it most likely will be another Optimum Micro. The increased weight doesn't bother me in the least little bit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I decided in the Optimum Micro. No FRP and stupid quiet on my Ruger 1022TD, American rimfire, charger and 2245. My choice was first to be "Overbuilt" and price. Being rated to 22-250 is a major plus. Quieter on my RAR 556 than my 36M. But on the Mini-14 it was the opposite. That was not a big deal. If I by another 22 suppressor it most likely will be another Optimum Micro. The increased weight doesn't bother me in the least little bit.
View Quote

And... I, too, just decided on an Optimus Micro.  Ordered!
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, I'm requesting this damn thread gets locked. When it started it was "Mask!" so I bought a Mask. Then it was "But Mustang is good!" so I went and bought a Mustang. Now its all "Optimus" or "TBAC!"

I need this damn thread locked so ya'll quit spendin my money.,
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm requesting this damn thread gets locked. When it started it was "Mask!" so I bought a Mask. Then it was "But Mustang is good!" so I went and bought a Mustang. Now its all "Optimus" or "TBAC!"

View Quote

Ha, there are so many options and so many recommendations it's hard to decide.  Mask seemed to be the overwhelming majority response in many threads so I was kind of set on ordering one.  But then the next thread had many saying the Rugged Oculus was just as good.  Ended up picking the Oculus as my first suppressor.  Now I'm back and forth on a 9mm can for my MPX as the recommendations are all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought a Silencerco Sparrow and I've been very happy with it.
View Quote

I really like mine as well.

Owning a Dead air, and a JK ARMS the Sparrow was #3 and I was expecting it to be louder, or have more first round pop due to its stupid cheap price tag but I was presently surprised to find it was a great can and highly underrated on Arfcom
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you done this comparison yet? Interested to hear your observations. I have a Phantom, but don’t have any other .22 cans to compare it to. I’d like to hear your experience.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have you done this comparison yet? Interested to hear your observations. I have a Phantom, but don’t have any other .22 cans to compare it to. I’d like to hear your experience.
View Quote

@bballman25

Sorry for the late reply. Got rained out that weekend but got to mess with it a little this past weekend.

Overall, the Phantom IMO is meh

It is lightweight and sound wise it was on pair with my Mask and E2 but its larger than both. Visually it is very unappealing (to me) because of the size, shape and shiny black finish. It does have FRP on both pistol and rifle (which normally I despise) but it was minimal so I don't think that would bother me too much? Overall not a bad option but I don't think I'd buy one.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@bballman25

Sorry for the late reply. Got rained out that weekend but got to mess with it a little this past weekend.

Overall, the Phantom IMO is meh

It is lightweight and sound wise it was on pair with my Mask and E2 but its larger than both. Visually it is very unappealing (to me) because of the size, shape and shiny black finish. It does have FRP on both pistol and rifle (which normally I despise) but it was minimal so I don't think that would bother me too much? Overall not a bad option but I don't think I'd buy one.

https://i.imgur.com/H2rbIcE.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like the function of the Phantom is on par, you’re just not enamored with the looks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like the function of the Phantom is on par, you’re just not enamored with the looks.
View Quote

Partly the looks, partly the FRP, partly the overall build quality. Time was limited so I didn't get to take it apart and really go over it but it felt kind of cheap compared to the rimfire cans I have? IDK, I don't think its a bad suppessor but it didn't impress me much either. Like I said, just meh?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry bro, just work more and buy more cans. It also helps pass the wait time. I just got my third one out of jail, ordered a Mustang on 2/14, about to pull the trigger on another 5.56 suppressor and an sbr. F*** my checking account!
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#44]
If the Mask is out of stock, look hard at the Vidar from Hansohn Brothers. Class leading acoustic signature, perfect materials, great price. It's everything you need, nothing you don't.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1.0 1998-2018
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top