Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2023 4:48:35 PM EDT
I’m pretty new to the suppressor world. Mostly want one for plinking with a pistol. I have a 5.56 can already. I’ve done some looking around, and most of the 22 rimfire stuff is out of stock. I bought my last one through SS, but I’m not married to them either.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus/Mustang, Energetic Armament Nyx, CGS Hydra AL/SS

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
In my stable of 15 to 20 demo cans for 22 lr.

The GSL woodland is the most quiet. Next is the b and t 22.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Nyx Mod 2 is my favorite of the ones I own (also have Mask, Oculus, Osprey Micro, Hydra SS, Mustang)
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three .22 suppressors and the Mask is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
YHM Phantom 22. Quiet and light - 4 oz. - while still having steel baffles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
So what makes one or the other your favorite? Handling, sound, etc? I’m sort of intrigued by the tacsol/Ruger suppressed barrels.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Silencerco Sparrow and I've been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Nyx Mod 2.

All titanium, light as hell (4.7 oz), and toss in some simple green when filthy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Mask, Occulus/Mustang, Nyx, lots of good choices. What are your priorities? Weight, performance, cost, ease of maintenance?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Q El Camino
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Cost isn’t much of a factor. I’m good with cleaning as long as I can take it apart. So I guess performance.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Mask is the gold standard rimfire can IMO and my first recommendation. No first round pop on pistols, rugged materials for harsh cleaning methods, and shielded baffles which makes it come apart easily. It is a heavier rimfire can but that’s something that can be tackled down the road with another purchase (which you will make).

TBAC Takedown is a good equivalent and if you want to shed some weight the EA Nyx.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Mask no first round pop on a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nyx Mod 2.

All titanium, light as hell (4.7 oz), and toss in some simple green when filthy.
View Quote

This is my thought as well. Ease of cleaning is of major importance in rimfire cans, in my opinion. Lots of great rimfire cans out there, but few come in full titanium. That is a game changer for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I have

Gemtech Alpine
SiCo Sparrow
AAC Element 2
Gryphon maximus

If I were buying a .22 muzzle can right now it would undoubtedly be a Dead Mask. From what I have seen from a friends it matches the durability of the Sparrow with the incredible sound of the Element.  The sparrow really is my beater can because its just so damn easy to clean. Its heavy and has a horrible first round pop but once filled with smoke its as quiet as most. Its really about the ease of cleaning.

I think Mask is the perfect combo of my 3 favorite cans.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can find something in stock.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#17]
You won’t go wrong with a mask or oculus, but the Nyx is still my favorite. I have the mod 2, and will probably get the Mod 1 at some point too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Forget about chasing that last decibel and go for lightness; port pop on any semi-auto pistol will negate that last decibel.  CGS and ECCO Salamander are 2 that I have ( I am sure there are others in that weight category), I also have a mask but it is heavy for a pistol and remains on rifle duty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Just go with the DA Mask, best overall rimfire can on the market.

As for the weight of the Mask, that's a WAY over blown topic around here. The Mask weights ~2oz more than most of these "lightweight" cans. I have Both (DA Mask and AAC EII) and yes, you can feel the 2oz but its not a big deal at all and to say the Mask is "too heavy" for a pistol is laughable.

If you can't find a Mask or are really worried about those 2 extra oz's then I would consider the Energetic Nyx (Mod1), YHM Phantom or Hansohn Vidar 22
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Weight is never overblown. It's a real thing and lighter is always better. 'I want the heaviest brick possible on the end of my barrel' said no one ever
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Weight is never overblown. It's a real thing and lighter is always better. 'I want the heaviest brick possible on the end of my barrel' said no one ever
View Quote

I think it’s especially notable on rimfire handguns, which often tend to be on the lighter side. A heavier can may not be as noticeable on a metal frame gun like a MK IV or 1911 type gun, but on a plastic gun like a p322, I think it can really throw the balance off.

Don’t get me wrong, the mask and oculus are very well-made cans that perform well, but it feels weird on the end of some of these lighter hosts, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think it's especially notable on rimfire handguns, which often tend to be on the lighter side. A heavier can may not be as noticeable on a metal frame gun like a MK IV or 1911 type gun, but on a plastic gun like a p322, I think it can really throw the balance off.

Don't get me wrong, the mask and oculus are very well-made cans that perform well, but it feels weird on the end of some of these lighter hosts, in my opinion.
View Quote
Agreed. The balance is great on my MKIV but it feels front heavy on my P22 and FN 502.

Still fun as hell though. I shoot almost every day with the mask on something or other.

A nyx is on my wish list though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are the answers.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think it’s especially notable on rimfire handguns, which often tend to be on the lighter side. A heavier can may not be as noticeable on a metal frame gun like a MK IV or 1911 type gun, but on a plastic gun like a p322, I think it can really throw the balance off.

Don’t get me wrong, the mask and oculus are very well-made cans that perform well, but it feels weird on the end of some of these lighter hosts, in my opinion.
View Quote

Handguns is where I noticed the weight as you mentioned. If you compare a Mask to an Element 2/Nyx on a polymer rimfire pistol, you WILL notice the difference.

Only each individual can determine if that warrants buying another can or what the tradeoffs are. I think I own 7-8 rimfire cans so I like to share my experience as someone who has BTDT and can perhaps help someone avoid the same mistakes I made. Rimfire cans are special IMO because they represent the "peak" of NFA item ownership.

They are:

1. Relatively less expensive to pistol and rifle can counterparts
2. Cheapest to feed (ammo)
3. And represent the best performance gains/suppression

My needs, which may differ from others in regards to rimfire cans.

1. Performance. I will not compromise on sound with a rimfire can. If it has FRP on a pistol it is DOA. When you have the opportunity to shoot as discreetly as possible, it needs to deliver.
2. Weight. This is something you feel every time. I've made the mistake on buying some overly durable rifle cans where my firing schedule doesn't warrant their construction and I hate the weight.
3. Materials of construction. I prefer durable materials that can handle rougher handling/aggressive cleaning
4. Ease of take apart. Something has to give in the tradeoff game and this is often it. Something like the Element 2 which takes a little longer to push the baffles out but does a great job on the above criteria. That's a tradeoff I'll take.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I don’t really mind the weight of a Mask on a G44, which is a pretty light host. Then again, its the lightest can of any sort that I own. I also don’t mind it on my M&P15-22, even with its long ass 16” barrel. I don’t know if I’d say weight is irrelevant for rimfire cans, but I don’t personally find the Mask to be burdensome or distracting. Maybe one day I’ll get one of these made-of-helium cans and see what thats about. Centerfire cans? Yeah, I don’t reach for the heavy ones as often.

I think it compares well in sound with all of my buddies rimfire cans. Best, or above average. No or minimal FRP, which matters to some more than others. I think most of the current crop of rimfire cans are quite good. I just went with the Mask because its at the top of the list when both ease of cleaning and and sound are a concern. I’ve got two CGS rimfire cans in purgatory because they are said to be near the Mask in the cleaning and sound aspects, and I thought they looked cool.

My variety experience with rimfire cans is limited to maybe 5 models, and I only have the one Mask.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Mask is the gold standard rimfire can IMO and my first recommendation. No first round pop on pistols, rugged materials for harsh cleaning methods, and shielded baffles which makes it come apart easily. It is a heavier rimfire can but that’s something that can be tackled down the road with another purchase (which you will make).

TBAC Takedown is a good equivalent and if you want to shed some weight the EA Nyx.
View Quote

I followed this advice right here and it is spot on! Between my 22/45 and my American rimfire bolt I have put about 5-6k rounds thru my mask in the last couple years. Someone like @Outrider with more experience than I can probably attest but my advice would be don’t buy an all aluminum construction can as your first. While they are light they have to be a giant pain to clean, and that imo should be a huge consideration in anyones first rimfire can experience.

My next purchase will likely be an EA Nyx.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is my thought as well. Ease of cleaning is of major importance in rimfire cans, in my opinion. Lots of great rimfire cans out there, but few come in full titanium. That is a game changer for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nyx Mod 2.

Glad to see the positive comments on the Nyx.  I has one in jail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Glad to see the positive comments on the Nyx.  I has one in jail.
View Quote

It's a good one. Feels like it doesn't exist.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0RNXuDo.jpg
View Quote

Do want! That’s a handsome combination you got there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]
This has been asked a bunch of times on here and all the above are excellent choices. You really can't buy a bad 22 can in todays market.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, that’s a fine looking setup!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Here’s mine.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Mask.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
My recommendation for a first rimfire can in order is Oculus, TD 22 and Mask.  My favorite can especially on pistols are my Mustang’s.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow that is sharp looking! Thanks all for the feedback. Some great cans have been mentioned and we are honored to rub shoulders here in this list.

Pro tip: I have found straight, undiluted CLR (silver bottle) works great for cleaning the Nyx and Nyx Mod2. It is safe for both the natural bead blast and black cerakote finishes. Simply remove the end caps and drop the tube/baffles in the solution and let it soak a couple hours. Will dissolve all the crud without much need for scrubbing or work. Rinse it off, grease the threads, reassemble and right back to shooting!

Karl Edminster
Unofficial* Jelmar, LLC Sales Rep
Energetic Armament

*Like, really, really unofficial.... they have no idea who I am.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

We will have to agree to completely disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't any difference or that you can't feel the difference. What I'm saying is:

A. The difference is not that big and is generally way overblown.
B. The extra weight is actually an advantage on some guns and...
C. The lighter the host, the more of an advantage the heavier can is.

I have shot my Mask and Element II on a bunch of different hosts. Let's call them heavy (22/45 tactical = 33.3oz), medium (22/45 Lite = 25oz) and light (TX-22/P322 = 16oz)

The heavy tactical model is the only host where the Mask starts to feel like it's a bit much. On that gun I prefer my EII but the Mask is still more then doable. On the 22/45 Lite, I'd be fine with either can but if I had to pick, I'd probably pick the Mask as it balances out that gun great. If I wasn't running a suppressor on that one, I'd probably run one of those steel muzzle breaks just for the added weight. On the really light hosts like the TX-22, I would pick the Mask over the EII everytime.

Why? Because while yes, if you put the Mask on a lightweight gun like the TX-22 or P322, you immediately notice it's there but it only really feels "heavy" if you are 1 handed finger fucking around with it. Bring it up into a full 2 handed firing position and the weight disappears IMO. If anything, the extra weight is an advantage because one of the downsides of light guns is holding the muzzle still. Light guns like to whip around hence why the high end target 22's come with barrel weights. With the added weight of the Mask on the end of it, the light guns are easier to hold on target.

Lastly, to keep this in perspective... some people act like the Mask is so heavy that it's like hanging an anchor on the end of your barrel but that's just not reality. Here it is on my TX-22. Notice the balance point just at the front of the trigger guard. In this picture the gun has a fully loaded mag (16rds, chamber empty) and my Mask is really dirty internally so weights 7ozs as pictured (on my scale)...

There is a slight forward bias but that's not at all what I would call "front heavy" and can be easily and enjoyable shot all day long in this configuration. On something like the P322 with an optic installed, I bet the balance point would be dead centered.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m not really worried about an oz or three. I can’t find a mask in stock anywhere. I’m leaning towards an oculus or mustang due to availability.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m not really worried about an oz or three. I can’t find a mask in stock anywhere. I’m leaning towards an oculus or mustang due to availability.
View Quote

Give the Thunderbeast Takedown a look. Quality is off the charts (as is the TBAC way) and it’s lighter than Mask/Oculus but right there with them on sound and ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m considering a Mustang. I have a YHM Phantom, which is really nice. Quiet, light, SS baffles. But I may get another so I don’t have to swap back and forth between rifle and pistol. I did ask Rugged if you could use CLP to clean the aluminum baffles on the Mask and they said that was fine.

I used CLP on the steel baffles of my Phantom and it worked great. Put them in for about an hour. Rinsed with water and there was still some residue. Put them in for another hour and they were clean as new with a wipe down. If I can do that with aluminum baffles, I’m good with that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Handguns is where I noticed the weight as you mentioned. If you compare a Mask to an Element 2/Nyx on a polymer rimfire pistol, you WILL notice the difference.

(snip)
View Quote

Yep, and it doesn't even take a polymer pistol to appreciate it. Most of my rimfire pistol shooting for the past 15+ years has been with a CZ 75 SAO with Kadet adapter. All steel, pretty heavy for a rimfire setup and I love it btw. But I have a 6.5oz Sparrow and a couple Nyx Mod1s at 3.6oz. The difference even on that pistol feels like night and day.

Then again I can tell the difference between my 4.7oz aluminum Sparrow and my 3.6oz Nyx on that pistol too.

The Nyx has really spoiled me on weight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

And the Silencerco switchback
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I pulled the trigger on the Rugged Mustang. Now the wait begins.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I pulled the trigger on the Rugged Mustang. Now the wait begins.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We will have to agree to completely disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't any difference or that you can't feel the difference. What I'm saying is:

A. The difference is not that big and is generally way overblown.
B. The extra weight is actually an advantage on some guns and...
C. The lighter the host, the more of an advantage the heavier can is.

I have shot my Mask and Element II on a bunch of different hosts. Let's call them heavy (22/45 tactical = 33.3oz), medium (22/45 Lite = 25oz) and light (TX-22/P322 = 16oz)

The heavy tactical model is the only host where the Mask starts to feel like it's a bit much. On that gun I prefer my EII but the Mask is still more then doable. On the 22/45 Lite, I'd be fine with either can but if I had to pick, I'd probably pick the Mask as it balances out that gun great. If I wasn't running a suppressor on that one, I'd probably run one of those steel muzzle breaks just for the added weight. On the really light hosts like the TX-22, I would pick the Mask over the EII everytime.

Why? Because while yes, if you put the Mask on a lightweight gun like the TX-22 or P322, you immediately notice it's there but it only really feels "heavy" if you are 1 handed finger fucking around with it. Bring it up into a full 2 handed firing position and the weight disappears IMO. If anything, the extra weight is an advantage because one of the downsides of light guns is holding the muzzle still. Light guns like to whip around hence why the high end target 22's come with barrel weights. With the added weight of the Mask on the end of it, the light guns are easier to hold on target.

Lastly, to keep this in perspective... some people act like the Mask is so heavy that it's like hanging an anchor on the end of your barrel but that's just not reality. Here it is on my TX-22. Notice the balance point just at the front of the trigger guard. In this picture the gun has a fully loaded mag (16rds, chamber empty) and my Mask is really dirty internally so weights 7ozs as pictured (on my scale)...

https://i.imgur.com/9CY0hgA.jpg

There is a slight forward bias but that's not at all what I would call "front heavy" and can be easily and enjoyable shot all day long in this configuration. On something like the P322 with an optic installed, I bet the balance point would be dead centered.
View Quote

Of course everyone’s preferences will be subjective, as demonstrated here. I just think it feels a little off. It’s not a deal-breaker by any means. I love the mask and the oculus. But since adding a Nyx and a Mustang to my collection, I think they just feel better on the end of my lighter guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Of course everyone’s preferences will be subjective, as demonstrated here. I just think it feels a little off. It’s not a deal-breaker by any means. I love the mask and the oculus. But since adding a Nyx and a Mustang to my collection, I think they just feel better on the end of my lighter guns.
View Quote

Between nyx and mustang which one do you like more? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Of course everyone’s preferences will be subjective, as demonstrated here.
View Quote

Agreed but I just feel like the constant talk about how heavy the Mask is gets really blown out of proportion around here so I feel the need to make the counter argument sometimes. Is it a little heavier than a lot of other options? Yes. Is it too heavy? No, not even close. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Agreed but I just feel like the constant talk about how heavy the Mask is gets really blown out of proportion around here so I feel the need to make the counter argument sometimes. Is it a little heavier than a lot of other options? Yes. Is it too heavy? No, not even close. Just my $.02
View Quote

I agree 100%, weights of cans are blown way out of the water. (depending on application of course)

I have a mask and I use it with a camlok on my 22/45 tactical. it's not bad at all.
ANY handgun you buy and suppress you will notice the 6" long tube on the end of the barrel. it's inevitable. it's the way it is. same goes for rifles too.

my setup feels like it belongs.. I feel the weight is proportional and feels correct. sure, some cans are half the weight, but as you mentioned if your finger fucking the rig vs actually shooting it, it feels different.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I agree 100%, weights of cans are blown way out of the water. (depending on application of course)

I have a mask and I use it with a camlok on my 22/45 tactical. it's not bad at all.
ANY handgun you buy and suppress you will notice the 6" long tube on the end of the barrel. it's inevitable. it's the way it is. same goes for rifles too.

my setup feels like it belongs.. I feel the weight is proportional and feels correct. sure, some cans are half the weight, but as you mentioned if your finger fucking the rig vs actually shooting it, it feels different.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Mask and Switchback (in jail), weight with them on my 22/45 Lite and 10/22 is a non-issue, especially for the performance given.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's when you have both that you notice the weight. I have heavier rimfire suppressors too. But for me anyway, it was after I bought a lighter one I realized how heavy the other ones were. And it's not even that they're too heavy or anything, it's just that any time I'd go to use them, I'd just feel why use this heavy suppressor when I can use a much lighter suppressor.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#50]
My first and only rimfire can is an EA nyx. Im really happy with it. The only other rimfire can I have thought about buying is the nyx mod2.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top