Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/28/2023 10:43:14 PM EDT
Looking for a new fixed, non premium knife. I can't afford the fancy-fancy ones. I'm probably going to attach it to a pack and leave it there, it might get a bit of hard use occasionally. Thinking about something like the Gerber StrongArm or Sog Seal Pup. Am I going in the right direction or is there something better in that price rage to also consider? Is there any reason I shouldn't buy either one of these?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with a K-bar or Buck . You don't need a $300 - $500 knife to get the job done . Whatever the job is .
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
These ones seem legit, but I just got it so no experience.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
ESEE Izula 2, ESEE 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
ESEE Izula 2, ESEE 3 or 4.
View Quote
I don't own any expensive blades (nothing over $200), but I feel the ESEE 3 and 4 are damn near perfect blades.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Cold Steel SRK or SRK Compact.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Well for utility, how about a Mora?  You can buy four or five for the price of most others and settle on the model you like best. They might not stick to a pack long term (the clip isn't great).

Otherwise, I have a Buck Nighthawk on my camping accessories bag (with tarp, blanket, mattress, spikes, lights, bungie, etc.) and it has stayed there for years. It's beefy enough to be useful but cheap enough it's not a big deal to damage it.

Note that mine came highly magnetic so had to get several feet away from it to get a good compass reading.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
I don't own any expensive blades (nothing over $200), but I feel the ESEE 3 and 4 are damn near perfect blades.
View Quote

This.

ESSE 3 partially serrated. Be sure to get it with the hard plastic sheath with metal clip.

It’s the perfect package.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
mora kansbol or save up a bit more and get an ESEE 4.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mk-211] [#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Well for utility, how about a Mora?  You can buy four or five for the price of most others and settle on the model you like best. They might not stick to a pack long term (the clip isn't great).

Otherwise, I have a Buck Nighthawk on my camping accessories bag (with tarp, blanket, mattress, spikes, lights, bungie, etc.) and it has stayed there for years. It's beefy enough to be useful but cheap enough it's not a big deal to damage it.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/attachments/hunting-gear/26428d1378130105-buck-650-nighthawk-buck-650-4.jpg

Note that mine came highly magnetic so had to get several feet away from it to get a good compass reading.
View Quote

I found one of theseclaying in the street about 6 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Everybody giving you advice on what knife you need and you didn't even mention what you are using it for. "Hard use" is not a task. Let me know what tasks you are doing and then we can better assist you.

Notice that everybody said "get the one I have".

Human nature is fascinating.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
OP is in Canada. Are knives even legal they're?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

The original is solid but I prefer the Compact. I have 2 of each and most of the sheaths are iffy at best unfortunately. I need to strip and patina them and get some kydex sheaths.

Consider also the Condor Terrasaur. Mine got a little rusty and I'm used to carbon steel knives so I'd put a patina on it first thing. The sheath is fine but a more traditional style. I had to open up the belt loop (it's glued near the handle so I just pulled it apart further) to fit on a standard leather gun belt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ND14RCP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

There are a few Old Hickory knives that come with sheaths. The sheaths are okay but Ontario has been sold so buy one quickly.

There's also a number of Buck knives that might be a better fit for stashing in a pack (stainless steel). I have an older Paklite that is super slicey, it's my usual kitchen knife.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AASG:
OP is in Canada. Are knives even legal they're?
View Quote

Barely. You have to apply to the Federal Bureau of Moose, and prove that you have been set upon by wolves drinking maple syrup in the last six months while you were shoveling snow. Then you have to perform a ritual apology, play a game of hockey and have a double double timmys with ketchup chips. Then your application will be processed which should take aboot 12-18 months.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wsix:
Everybody giving you advice on what knife you need and you didn't even mention what you are using it for. "Hard use" is not a task. Let me know what tasks you are doing and then we can better assist you.

Notice that everybody said "get the one I have".

Human nature is fascinating.
View Quote

Kind of just general cutting tasks, leave it attached to a pack so I can never forget to bring a pokey-slicey with me when I go somewhere where it would be important to have one for various poking and slicing activities. Maybe cut up kindling, maybe some sort of backup for hunting tasks, general chores and stuff. Nothing specific.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Cold Steel tanto mini leather neck.  Small but useful and takes a beating.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Becker BK16
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:13:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudBug] [#20]
Just to be different...

I've had the Cold Steel drop forged boot knife in my daily carry backpack for a long time now along  with a multi tool and one of those Gerber utility blade knives. My pocket knife (SOG, Benchmade, and Spyderco all in the rotation).

The boot knife is just there in case and I can't see it ever caving in to the neglect of it's position. There is literally nothing to fail on this knife.

The survival version is probably a better all around knife.

Amazon Product
  • Perfectly balanced with a sturdy yet needle sharp point and wasp waisted so it cuts coming and going

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
I came in here to recommend these two.

I would have also recommended the Old Hickory Hunting Knife at $30 or so.  But with Ontario now defunct, there's not much stock left.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KyleCanuck:
Looking for a new fixed, non premium knife. I can't afford the fancy-fancy ones. I'm probably going to attach it to a pack and leave it there, it might get a bit of hard use occasionally. Thinking about something like the Gerber StrongArm or Sog Seal Pup. Am I going in the right direction or is there something better in that price rage to also consider? Is there any reason I shouldn't buy either one of these?
View Quote

Take your pick.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The 5.5" Cold Steel tanto sells well at gun shows.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#24]
OP, every knife pictured in this thread is brand new. LOL
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Literally a $15 Mora knife. They’re sharp, tough, and even if you break one, so what? It’s not like breaking your $100 Esee - they’re cheap enough to be disposable if need be.

You won’t break it, though. Here’s a video where two guys try to break one, including batoning a brick with it, and can’t manage to do it.

The Indestructible Knife | Mora Robust
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#26]
While ESEE's are nice knives that i've never heard anybody say a bad word about, you are paying twice the price for 1095 steel than you would buying a Ka-Bar in 1095 which is just as nice.

Prior to them losing their minds and going belly up as I and many others predicted, Ontario was the awesome choice, about half the price of Ka-Bar and good quality, there are still some of the old spec-plus blades out there but now prices have gone psycho.

I would get a Buck or a Ka-bar. Buck's 420HC blades are the perfect bang-around hard use inexpensive blades, won't hold an edge as long as 1095, but super easy to sharpen, awesome corrosion resistance, and toughness is pretty much the best of all stainless knife steels, on a par with the best of carbon steels, so you won't be breaking a blade easily.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Narutakikun:
Literally a $15 Mora knife. They’re sharp, tough, and even if you break one, so what? It’s not like breaking your $100 Esee - they’re cheap enough to be disposable if need be.

You won’t break it, though. Here’s a video where two guys try to break one, including batoning a brick with it, and can’t manage to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlcBpKbAvM
View Quote

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Morakniv-Swedish-Knives--1460Came to post this, you can buy several for under $100 and get 4-6 inch blades in carbon or SS.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Falliniven F1
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#29]
ESEE Xancudo

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#30]
Originally Posted By wsix:
OP, every knife pictured in this thread is brand new. LOL
View Quote

Most people take pictures when both the newly acquired product and their excitement for it are fresh. Took me years to realize I was the same.

OP, what’s your specific price range? I like these for camp knives

Under $50: Cold Steel SRK.
Under $150: Becker BK7 or ESEE 6.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:28:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#32]
I use Mora's as utility knife/chisels at work (I'm a commercial formwork carpenter) I think I'm on my 5th knife in 7 years now? They break where the handle ends/blade begins, but I'm also hitting them with a 20 oz framing hammer on the spine repeatedly using it a chisel. Well worth the $20 for the Orange Companion version, the other cheaper model with the finger protector thingy sucks for using it as a side cutting chisel.

They're tough and worth $20 easily, but not indestructible if you intentionally abuse them day in and day out  

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Life time warranty, $120.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Great blade! 5160?

A little pricier but worth it, 1 of 500 in 3V:

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NWRed:
I use Mora's as utility knife/chisels at work (I'm a commercial formwork carpenter) I think I'm on my 5th knife in 7 years now? They break where the handle ends/blade begins, but I'm also hitting them with a 20 oz framing hammer on the spine repeatedly using it a chisel. Well worth the $20 for the Orange Companion version, the other cheaper model with the finger protector thingy sucks for using it as a side cutting chisel.

They're tough and worth $20 easily, but not indestructible if you intentionally abuse them day in and day out  

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/924/Bzdwf2.jpg
View Quote

You're probably the only person that the Companion HD is aimed at. OP, get a Mora Companion in stainless or not stainless. Or its cousin, the Bushcraft. The HD's blades are too thick for anything but actual woodworking and construction abuse. Most will argue they're too thick for even _that_.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for the Becker BK-16

The factory sheath sucks but, I'm actually surprised how much I love this blade. In the yard, in the woods, in the garage, t does it all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Great blade! 5160?

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/470bvq.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Great blade! 5160?

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/470bvq.jpg
I would have bet good money that Buck would have been 420HC.  

But I see on their site that it is indeed 5160.  Interdasting.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I would have bet good money that Buck would have been 420HC.  

But I see on their site that it is indeed 5160.  Interdasting.  
View Quote

Yes, Buck does indeed use steels other than 420HC, lol, shocker eh?

I don't have them all, but I do have some in 420HC, 5160, S30V, S35VN, D2 and 3V, all are nice. The 3V blades are monstahs, half the price of a CPK and just as badass.

Anybody that vomits at the idea of 420HC probably hasn't spent much time in the woods with it, Bucks in 420HC are the cheapest useable blades made, anything less isn't worth buying. Great backpack blades that are only 40 bucks or so.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top