Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2023 11:15:50 AM EDT
Looking for a direct thread can for 6.5 and maybe 7MM. Lighter and shorter is better than long and heavy. Not looking for the quietest more to take the edge off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Rugged Alaskan Ti
TBAC Ultra5

I use an original SiCO Harvester and it’s long
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
EA Lux
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
TBAC ultra 5 or 7 if you want a little more quiet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rugged Alaskan Ti
TBAC Ultra5

I use an original SiCO Harvester and it’s long
View Quote

Ecco sells a front cap that makes it shorter than with the anchor brake front cap.  Probably need to heat the front cap up to 500 F to break the Loctite to remove the anchor brake front cap.  

The new Harvester EVO looks like a tubeless Omega-300.  A Griffin Explorr might be a good fit. Another light one is Diligent Defense Enticer S Ti.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Omega 300 is an excellent option.

It stays on my hunting rifle.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Jumbo Shrimp by Q for my 6.5mm hunting rig. It is light, short and takes the edge off the muzzle report. The guys at Q told me it was designed for hunting, specifically. It will not shoot 7mm, though... only 6.5 or smaller. I believe it is 9 or so ounces.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hyperion K
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
My first thought is Hyperion K or Nomad Ti.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m really enjoying my AAC Jaeger-30. Didn’t break the bank and works great on my 30.06 rifle and 300win mag.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Rex Silentium will make a can in any length and bore diameter you want, including .284 and their direct thread mounts are among the best/shortest/lightest. The cans themselves are pretty light, and the oversized diameter makes them a little more length-efficient.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
The Griffin Sportsman Ultralight is a really underrated hunting can in my opinion.  I have two of the current style, with a third in jail, plus one of the older regular Sportsman.  I've shot three pronghorn, two deer, and two elk, plus tons of yotes with mine, and many miles in the field.  Its a solid simple can that sounds great on magnums, uses a hunting friendly mount system.  Its not the very lightest out there, or the shortest, but I'm really pleased with the performance.  I did just buy a Jumbo Shrimp for my 6 and 6.5mm cartridges though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Gemtech Tracker.  I think its about 11 oz.  Its a decent sized package but it is not a do all suppressor.  For hunting I enjoy it
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Griffin Sportsman Ultralight is a really underrated hunting can in my opinion.  I have two of the current style, with a third in jail, plus one of the older regular Sportsman.  I've shot three pronghorn, two deer, and two elk, plus tons of yotes with mine, and many miles in the field.  Its a solid simple can that sounds great on magnums, uses a hunting friendly mount system.  Its not the very lightest out there, or the shortest, but I'm really pleased with the performance.  I did just buy a Jumbo Shrimp for my 6 and 6.5mm cartridges though.
View Quote

I've got an older one too that was used primarily on 556 guns. Sounded great due to the volume. Very long though.

I'd go for an explorr 30. Shorter/lighter than the sportsman, plus tougher construction for double duty on semi autos if needed.

If OP is dead set on DT, you can get the Utility mount version and get a DT adapter, but Honestly id opt for the taper mount version.

Or a Rex MG7 would be a good cost effection DT option too. The newer versions are pretty light.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...
Its actually really not. Its one of the worse options for OPs use case. It clocks in at nearly 15 ounces, which is around 2.5 times heavier than an Ultra 5 for example (Which rings in at 6).

Dont get me wrong, I really like my Omega 300 but for a "pack around all day, shoot twice" type of suppressor..... Well, I have an Ultra 5 in jail. When they handed it to me in the gun shop to look at it I actually chuckled a little bit because its the same weight as a rimfire suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a regular nomad 30.  Works great and is fairly light. I think 13oz but the nomad ti would be awesome for a hunting bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its actually really not. Its one of the worse options for OPs use case. It clocks in at nearly 15 ounces, which is around 2.5 times heavier than an Ultra 5 for example (Which rings in at 6).

Dont get me wrong, I really like my Omega 300 but for a "pack around all day, shoot twice" type of suppressor..... Well, I have an Ultra 5 in jail. When they handed it to me in the gun shop to look at it I actually chuckled a little bit because its the same weight as a rimfire suppressor.
View Quote

I was kind of surprised by the Omega as a hunting suggestion as well. Not at all the direction I would go.

Something titanium like a Nomad Ti or Nomad LT or any number of great offerings from TBAC would be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was kind of surprised by the Omega as a hunting suggestion as well. Not at all the direction I would go.

Something titanium like a Nomad Ti or Nomad LT or any number of great offerings from TBAC would be my choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Omega-300 with titanium direct thread mount and titanium flat front cap is only 6” long and a hair over 12 ounces.   You can get lighter, shorter, and quieter, but usually not all 3.  Decently durable, and occasionally available at very good prices.  It’s a shame Howard’s titanium accessories aren’t still available.  The old style Rex and Dead Air direct thread mounts were light, as were Hansohn Brothers front caps.  For magnums the SiCo anchor brake front cap adds length, but not weight, and reduces recoil a bit more over flat front caps.

Lots of great light choices now that don’t require playing tinker toy engineer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
TBAC Ultra 7 6.5 will be going in jail for my 6 Creedmoor coyote gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
The EA Lux comes in a 6.5 specific version.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I mostly use a TBAC Ultra 7 .30cal on my Grendel. I like it. If I was buying another suppressor to hunt with today I'd probably try an Energetic Lux, just because I like the company and their products.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

An Omega-300 with titanium direct thread mount and titanium flat front cap is only 6" long and a hair over 12 ounces.   You can get lighter, shorter, and quieter, but usually not all 3. Decently durable, and occasionally available at very good prices.  It's a shame Howard's titanium accessories aren't still available.  The old style Rex and Dead Air direct thread mounts were light, as were Hansohn Brothers front caps.  For magnums the SiCo anchor brake front cap adds length, but not weight, and reduces recoil a bit more over flat front caps.

Lots of great light choices now that don't require playing tinker toy engineer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Omega-300 with titanium direct thread mount and titanium flat front cap is only 6" long and a hair over 12 ounces.   You can get lighter, shorter, and quieter, but usually not all 3. Decently durable, and occasionally available at very good prices.  It's a shame Howard's titanium accessories aren't still available.  The old style Rex and Dead Air direct thread mounts were light, as were Hansohn Brothers front caps.  For magnums the SiCo anchor brake front cap adds length, but not weight, and reduces recoil a bit more over flat front caps.

Lots of great light choices now that don't require playing tinker toy engineer.

And looking at the specific requirements posted by the OP....

Quoted:
Looking for a direct thread can for 6.5 and maybe 7MM. Lighter and shorter is better than long and heavy. Not looking for the quietest more to take the edge off.

Given OP is prioritizing size and weight rather than absolute suppression I dont think the Omega is a good choice even with all the aftermarket tricks to lighten it up. This is coming from a guy who owns the Omega. Its a fantastic do all suppressor. I'd not hesitate to recommend it as the 30 cal can to get for general use. But for the OPs use case it falls short due to weight IMO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
TBAC Ultra 5 all the way. Lightest on the market, and quietest for its size.

I had great success with mine last season:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Killed-It-Grilled-It-My-Son-s-First-Bear-Hunt/5-2595381/
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:58:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
EA Lux
View Quote

Really like this one on paper without hearing it. Anything Ti from a reputable manufacturer I'd say you'd be happy with. I partially wish I had gone with Nomad Ti rather than my Nomad 30 based on weight. The firing rate limitations kept me away without realizing I wouldn't be that hard on the can. Diligent Defense Enticer S-ti, Nomad Ti, TBAC Ultra 7, and EA Lux are on my list for my next. I like what Otter Creek Labs has going on and their Hydrogen can seems nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quite a few recommendations for the Energetic Armament Lux which I like to see. Really looked hard at it a few months ago but there wasn't much out on it. I like a lot of the things EA is doing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Gm8kJ806/079-C9-A69-7480-4-B2-B-B0-B6-ACA3-FF5347-DF.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Killed-It-Grilled-It-My-Son-s-First-Bear-Hunt/5-2595381/
View Quote

What rifle and stock is that?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Nomad Ti got my vote.  It weighs nothing and sounds great.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Gm8kJ806/079-C9-A69-7480-4-B2-B-B0-B6-ACA3-FF5347-DF.jpg

Steyr Scout in 6.5 Creed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Steyr Scout in 6.5 Creed.
View Quote

Thanks. Looks pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#31]
My hunting suppressor is a boat anchor, but it’s pretty quiet (oldschool TBAC).

I’m going to remedy that soon, probably with an ultra.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Griffin Sportsman has been my main “Hunting” only can for about 6 years now.

12ish ounces with big internal volume, it sounds surprisingly good on my Scout rifle with its 16” barrel. There is a newer version out now that I think is lighter…however it is long at over  8 inches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top