Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2019 9:31:34 PM EDT
I would like a beam scale, of the brands out there which is made well ?

I realize things made today aren't as good as things from years ago, should I try and find a older used one ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Find on old ohouse/ rcbs 10-10 scale. The metal version

They are out of production but can be bought for $100 used.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
the current best value is the dillon eliminator.  same as the old RCBS 505 ohaus guts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm fond of my Redding #2.  Typically ~$90 delivered (new).

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohaus 5-0-5.   The RCBS 5-0-5 is the same scale painted green instead of grey.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm fond of my Redding #2.  Typically ~$90 delivered (new).

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/658/658771.jpg
View Quote
That’s what I use.  I found a used one that looked like new for $35.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My Dillon is also made by OHAUS

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And that's the scale all others are compared to.

I use a 505, today as a matter of fact.
View Quote
And I used my 505 yesterday during the disappointing football games...LOL!

I tell you one thing...since these disappeared new, I've taken pains to keep mine in a padded box that I built to insure its longevity.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the current best value is the dillon eliminator.  same as the old RCBS 505 ohaus guts.

Pacific made an almost exact copy also.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Vintage RCBS 304 Dial-A-Grain reloading scale. Works Great!

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a RCBS 505 and the Dillon beam.

They are both great and are accurate and repeatable.   I assume it is the magnetic dampening, but the Dillon settles faster.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the RCBS 505 or the Dillon beam scale. Have both and they both work great. You can usually score a decent deal on eBay.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
A vintage RCBS 505 or 1010- made in USA. An easy way to identify one is that for a period of time the USA units were painted a smooth, satin Aqua green (Very close to Redding green, but smooth) instead of the current dark green pebbled finish they were using on scales made in Mexico, and China.....

The 505 is a little easier to change settings for small batches/load development.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an rcbs 10-10 since 1984.. great scale..
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A vintage RCBS 505 or 1010- made in USA. An easy way to identify one is that for a period of time the USA units were painted a smooth, satin Aqua green (Very close to Redding green, but smooth) instead of the current dark green pebbled finish they were using on scales made in Mexico, and China.....

The 505 is a little easier to change settings for small batches/load development.
View Quote
The 505 is definitely easier to adjust, but I like how the 510 and 1010 can lock the tenths micrometer in place.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope this isnt too off topic, but why in the world would you want a beam scale? They are so awful slow that it takes about 10x as long to weight out a charge that is not as accurate.

I've heard the argument that beam scales don't lose calibration, but you can buy a $2 calibration weight and check the calibration of a digital scale anytime you want.

I have the new Hornady beam scale that I got as a cheap backup when my digital scale died (while I was saving up for the FX-120i) but it's so slow I can barely stand to use it. Also, the beam is magnetic dampened and sometimes it gets "stuck" in the bottom position and I have to give it a nudge before it starts moving again. I guess the magnetic dampening part also holds the beam down to an extent.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, please don't interpret my post that way, but digital scales are just so much faster and more accurate im not sure why anyone would want a beam scale...
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I started with a beam.. Its not that slow..

I than purchased a pact which i used for years until a box of heads fell on it breaking the unit..

So i went back to a beam again.. I than purchased one of those hornady flip open digital .. since i couldn't find a new pact..

I always check the flip open with a beam..

So beam is always a back up and came the primary when i damaged my other scale..
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Dry Flash is spot on, it is all about the set up.  The scale has to be eye level.

When I am loading a batch of something that requires trickling and weighing each charge I have the scale dead center at eye level in front of me.  The trickler is in an aluminum block I made to elevate it to trickle into the pan after throwing (or scooping) a short charge.  I like having the drop tube of the PM at eye level so I can see through it as well.

To me another reason I prefer a beam over a digital it the same reason a dial caliper or dial indicator is faster or easier to make a Good/NG decision.  It takes the number out of the equation,  it becomes a quick visual decision as opposed to a bunch of numbers.

Granted if you are loading for 6, 8, 1000yds I could see wanting that higher resolution that a high end digital can provide.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Old RCBS 10-10, Ohaus 10-10, Lyman M5 basically the same scales all made in USA
Use them all, repeatable, well made, use a digital but go back to my beams, and
have must of them "tuned" by Scott Parker, he may be problematic to get a hold
of and wait times rather long, but got no complaints here. Have a set of good check
weights no matter which scale you get. Fleabay (EBay) has scales from time to time.

-Garland
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use a 505 and it is dead on and doesn't drift like every digital scale I've ever used. (3 different RCBS digitals and several cheap $30 digital scales)

No I'm not going to invest in a costly digital scale to watch it drop powder. Waste of money for me as I use powders that throws well from a tuned powder measure.

Manual scale slow, not so much. All depends on how your bench is set up.

My scale/trickler is at eye level on a level solid shelf right next to my powder measure for excellent work flow.

Scales placed on a bench, have parallax error and you have to get into an uncomfortable position to view it.

Same with PM mounted low on a bench.

I could see  improper set ups as slow. But it's a set up issue, not a tool issue.

Not everyone thinks alike, and some folks just like what they like. I fit right into that category.
View Quote
I see your point, if I was using a PM or just needed to spot check my progressive running a PM, speed is kind of a moot point.

I hand weigh every rifle round I make except 223/300BO. The time difference between an automatic trickler digital scale and a beam scale is very significant. I think the Autotrickler setup with the FX-120i is usually around 10 seconds a charge. You'll be doing good to hand weight a charge on a balance beam in less than a minute. Extrapolate that over 300 rounds and that is a significant time saver. Especially when you consider that you can be seating a bullet while the autotrickler is weighing a charge, that effectively makes the weighing time zero.

So I guess to borrow a GD favorite saying, get both.

I do not recommend the Hornady balance beam though. It gets stuck in the "not enough weight" position because of the mag dampening. Sometimes I have to tap it to dislodge it so it will read anything. Drives me crazy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top