Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2022 10:32:47 PM EDT
I’m trying to gather a better understanding of how different weight recoil springs come into play for tuning a suppressed pistol. I have never tried to mess with different weight recoil springs on a pistol and this is will be my first time shooting a suppressed centerfire pistol. I have a Sig 320 9mm, omega 9k can is in jail and intend to primarily use 147gn subs for ammo. I found a DPM recoil set on the EE for a good price and jumped on it.  I’m not sure if I need a stronger recoil spring to help delay unlocking and stronger force to put it back into battery, or a softer spring because of the heavy bullet and suppressor. I usually think about spring force opposite to how it actually works, and thinking I need the strongest spring but not really sure.

Thanks in advance.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody huh? Guess I’ll just have to do a little R&D when I get my can approved.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I can’t say conclusively across platforms, but the HK USP Tacticals come with a slightly stronger spring than their non-threaded counterparts, if I’m not mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your dealer have a range so you can take it for a test drive? I'd try shooting it first before I dumped a bunch of money into a solution for a problem that may not exist.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to use a lighter spring on my beretta to get it to work without a booster, with a booster my beretta, glock 19 and sig p365 all work with the stock spring they came with.
I would just use a well lubed booster and try the stock spring first...you could try tuning for slower unlocking but not sure if juice would be worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does your dealer have a range so you can take it for a test drive? I'd try shooting it first before I dumped a bunch of money into a solution for a problem that may not exist.
View Quote

Unfortunately not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]
115 and 124 worked fine, but I got constant stovepipes with Remington 147 shooting a P320c and Omega 9K.  The stock recoil spring is too heavy and would never allow the slide to get back far enough to load the next round in the magazine, usually leaving the fired case in the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if I need a stronger recoil spring to help delay unlocking and stronger force to put it back into battery, or a softer spring because of the heavy bullet and suppressor. I usually think about spring force opposite to how it actually works, and thinking I need the strongest spring but not really sure.
View Quote
That's an interesting question.  

The suppressor is going to give you more back pressure, but that's really only going to come into play once the slide unlocks. The actual energy of the round won't change and normally stiffer springs are to dampen hotter rounds with more energy. You use lighter springs for weaker rounds.

Initially the suppressor will add more weight to the slide, but then once the slide starts moving back, it will float due to the booster spring.

I think the only things a stiffer recoil spring could do for you is delay barrel unlock time and increase slide closing force.  That might sound beneficial, but if you are shooting weaker subsonic loads, you may run into issues with a heavier spring.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wouldn't change anything until you can test to see if any issues occur.
View Quote
Definitely this.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only thing anyone cares about in this forum are dBs.

Nobody here actually shoots their guns and measures things like POI shift or spring weight requirements lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nobody here actually shoots their guns and measures things like POI shift or spring weight requirements lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A factory gun shouldn’t need any tuning to function with an Omega 9k with its included booster.

Unboosted pistol cans usually require a lighter recoil spring if the suppressor is too heavy and it’s inertia retards unlocking.  Suppressor weight is the more important parameter.

The recoil spring’s main job is to store energy for returning slide to battery against resistance force of stripping a new round under magazine tension. It’s decelerating energy storage can reduce peak forces on frame but has less of an impact on unlock time than a hammer mass/spring.  So trying to tune a striker fired gun with springs is likely to change reliability more than port pop.  I’ve never messed with hammer springs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Definitely this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't change anything until you can test to see if any issues occur.
Definitely this.

So I really hope it’s shoots reliable with the factory recoil assembly, I’m not a person to change every part on a gun then complain it’s junk after creating self inflicted problems. I also understand that the manufacturer has dumped a lot of money into r&d  and company’s sell cheap crap to make money that isn’t to the standards of what is oem, I see it all the time in the auto industry.

That being said I really don’t want to wait a year to be able to shoot with my suppressor and then be waiting a few more weeks to track down out of stock parts when it chokes and lots of people have had poor experiences already.I grabbed the dpm setup because it was about half cost. Really just trying to understand which way to go should I need it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A factory gun shouldn’t need any tuning to function with an Omega 9k with its included booster.

Unboosted pistol cans usually require a lighter recoil spring if the suppressor is too heavy and it’s inertia retards unlocking.  Suppressor weight is the more important parameter.

The recoil spring’s main job is to store energy for returning slide to battery against resistance force of stripping a new round under magazine tension. It’s decelerating energy storage can reduce peak forces on frame but has less of an impact on unlock time than a hammer mass/spring.  So trying to tune a striker fired gun with springs is likely to change reliability more than port pop.  I’ve never messed with hammer springs.
View Quote

Thanks for the insight, I agree that it shouldn’t need a spring change to run but a lot of people have had issues just adding a threaded barrel and comp let alone a full suppressor. And being the gun wasn’t shipped with a threaded barrel it wasn’t really designed to run suppressed from the factory. As others have mentioned hk and I believe fn also ship guns with different springs the are intended to be shot suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's an interesting question.  

The suppressor is going to give you more back pressure, but that's really only going to come into play once the slide unlocks. The actual energy of the round won't change and normally stiffer springs are to dampen hotter rounds with more energy. You use lighter springs for weaker rounds.

Initially the suppressor will add more weight to the slide, but then once the slide starts moving back, it will float due to the booster spring.

I think the only things a stiffer recoil spring could do for you is delay barrel unlock time and increase slide closing force.  That might sound beneficial, but if you are shooting weaker subsonic loads, you may run into issues with a heavier spring.
View Quote

This was my line of thinking also, but I’ve read of people having to go both directions in spring weights for reliability so it doesn’t seem like there is a standard in how to correct it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top