Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 4:35:48 PM EDT
Not having fired any of the various brands of the mini-shells or any 2.75 Reduced Recoil shells, what's the recoil difference between them?

I have a new shotgun coming and I have shoulder problems with recoil.
I've seen the buckshot mini-shells by Aquila and Federal, but I'm leery of the reliability in any gun.
I'd feel better with standard 2.75 buckshot shells but recoil is a definite problem.

Any advice on the recoil difference?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot both in my 870; they feel about the same, which is what you'd expect for similar mass traveling at similar velocities.  The mini shells do not eject reliably in my gun, and I've tried all kinds of methods.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The Agulia mini shells are pretty decent. I have shot both buck and slugs. I have never shot any regular length reduced recoil loads.

I have a 870 and depending on the person using the gun, there may or may not be loading issues.
When I shot it I have no problems. When I had my buddy and his nephew shoot my 870 the gun jammed a few times while the rounds chambered. I can only figure I am hlding the gun at a different angle then them. I have heard if you point the muzzle down a bit it helps with the rounds not rotating on the lifter and jamming.

If you are getting a Mossberg 500 the lifter is an open design and the shells fall out, Remington has a closed lifter design. You would need to get an adapter to run mini shells. My buddy who had issues with my 870 has a 500 and I purchased him the adapter for his Mossberg but, the ranges closed before he could try it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The adapter works well in the Mossberg. You have to tape it in to keep it from falling out due to heat. But it works good. A Moss Shockwave shooting the mini shells can be shot using one hand with no problem.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, this is what I needed to know.

I have been stimulated so I ordered a new Kel-Tec KS7.
I had a Kel-Tec KSG and figure the KS7 is lighter and a simpler design that will better fill my needs.
I know the mini-shells "usually" work in the Kel-Tec's but I'm not a fan, I'd feel much better with standard length shells.

Right now the FFL receiving the gun only has some Aquila and Federal mini-shells, and I had him save the last box of buckshot.
As soon as possible I'll buy some standard 2.75 reduced recoil ammo.

The only problem for that is that most all of the reduced recoil ammo is #00 buckshot.
I'd much prefer #4 buck to limit the lethal range in consideration of the neighbors.
At across the living room range #4 buck is plenty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By black1970:
The adapter works well in the Mossberg. You have to tape it in to keep it from falling out due to heat. But it works good. A Moss Shockwave shooting the mini shells can be shot using one hand with no problem.
View Quote

Was that the gen 1 or 2 adapter? I got my buddy the gen 2 which is supposed to be held in place with tension from the wings on the side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top