Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2018 3:01:44 PM EDT
Going pawn shopping again for an SA this time for another defensive shotgun.  Which birdguns can be cut down to 18.5 or SBR (in full compliance with NFA) without having to jack with gas rings/ports?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Benelli M2.  Also a pawn shop find for 800 used.

Eats everything but some funky seller and Beloit buckshot.  That stuff is out of spec though.

Really I can load cheap Walmart birdshot and defense ammo and it eats it all.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The pawn shops practically give away Rem 11-48's if older vintage doesn't bother you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pawn shops practically give away Rem 11-48's if older vintage doesn't bother you.
View Quote
The Remington 11 and it's Savage clone also that are both Browning auto-5 clones. A few years ago they were $100 all day long, but now serviceable ones are $300, where I live anyways.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Remington 11 and it's Savage clone also that are both Browning auto-5 clones. A few years ago they were $100 all day long, but now serviceable ones are $300, where I live anyways.
View Quote
Not clones..
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
11-48 would be my choice
View Quote
Base gun cost me $100
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Now that's what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
11-48 would be my choice
View Quote
Mine is reliable like a rock.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Such projects aren't legal here, but if they were I'd be looking at using an Auto 5/Rem.11/Savage 720 or one of the modern Auto 5 clones from Japan (Daiwa/KFC, etc.) or elsewhere (Breda/Franchi, etc.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Just picked up a Remington Model 11 for $260 and now I’m looking for a spare barrel to cut down.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you pick up an older model 11 or auto 5, be damn sure you have it cleaned out, resprung, and have had parts replaced that need replacing. Every auto 5 and model 11 I have seen looks like they have never been cleaned since they were bought, has a barrel recoil spring is a good 3 inches shorter than it needs, and in some cases has been missing either the bronze brake or the steel ring completely. I have had both my model 11 and auto 5 looked over by a local gunsmith that the majority of his business is fixing and repairing auto 5s. Full cleaning, all new springs, new bronze brakes, new guide rods, and replacing any worn out components were done to get them refurbished and up to spec. Model 11s have a fiber buffer in the rear of the receiver that absolutely needs to be replaced above all else.

You can find them if you look hard enough, and if you are willing to spend the cash to get them fixed up they are worth it. Replacement barrels will cost you more than what you will have in the gun if you aren't going to chop down the originally barrel. Older models with the sliding safety and the one piece carrier can be upgraded to the push button and two piece components, but it will cost a pretty penny. There isn't much in the wya of polymer stocks and fore ends, and some guns will need new stock sets. They are a project gun, but if you get them squared away right they are still amazingly reliable guns.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you pick up an older model 11 or auto 5, be damn sure you have it cleaned out, resprung, and have had parts replaced that need replacing. Every auto 5 and model 11 I have seen looks like they have never been cleaned since they were bought, has a barrel recoil spring is a good 3 inches shorter than it needs, and in some cases has been missing either the bronze brake or the steel ring completely. I have had both my model 11 and auto 5 looked over by a local gunsmith that the majority of his business is fixing and repairing auto 5s. Full cleaning, all new springs, new bronze brakes, new guide rods, and replacing any worn out components were done to get them refurbished and up to spec. Model 11s have a fiber buffer in the rear of the receiver that absolutely needs to be replaced above all else.

You can find them if you look hard enough, and if you are willing to spend the cash to get them fixed up they are worth it. Replacement barrels will cost you more than what you will have in the gun if you aren't going to chop down the originally barrel. Older models with the sliding safety and the one piece carrier can be upgraded to the push button and two piece components, but it will cost a pretty penny. There isn't much in the wya of polymer stocks and fore ends, and some guns will need new stock sets. They are a project gun, but if you get them squared away right they are still amazingly reliable guns.
View Quote
And fast. They are very fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top