Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2018 8:35:35 PM EDT
I have a 37mm Colt m203 from Arms Unlimited. It's quite a purple-grey color. Is there any way to have it re-anodized (milspec, obviously) to a nice, proper black? Any leads on who would consider doing this? I emailed SNF Finishing but got no response. US Anodizing is not taking orders.

Should I start looking for a black one and sell Mr. Purple after I've found a replacement? It's a hassle to replace it. Much easier to just have it refinished, but I don't know if that's possible. It has a couple of (what appear to be) stainless steel mounting bolts staked into the front of it. I'm not sure what kind of problems that could cause with re-anodizing it. Everything else can be stripped out of it and all the roll pins replaced after refinishing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was me I’d leave it as is.  Plenty of issued weapons that have a purple hue to them.  Look at the M16 in the back;

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a 37mm Colt m203 from Arms Unlimited. It's quite a purple-grey color. Is there any way to have it re-anodized (milspec, obviously) to a nice, proper black? Any leads on who would consider doing this? I emailed SNF Finishing but got no response. US Anodizing is not taking orders.

Should I start looking for a black one and sell Mr. Purple after I've found a replacement? It's a hassle to replace it. Much easier to just have it refinished, but I don't know if that's possible. It has a couple of (what appear to be) stainless steel mounting bolts staked into the front of it. I'm not sure what kind of problems that could cause with re-anodizing it. Everything else can be stripped out of it and all the roll pins replaced after refinishing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
View Quote
DIY - Anodize Aluminum Safely
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The stainless helicoil will likely have to be removed.

Remember anodizing grows on the outside and enters the surface of the aluminum.  To re-anodize something the current plating has to be removed and this can make stuff like pin holes and screw holes loose.

While it can be done, you are better of either keeping it as is, or replacing the entire grenade launcher.
You should have sent it back when you received it and asked for a replacement.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stainless helicoil will likely have to be removed.

Remember anodizing grows on the outside and enters the surface of the aluminum.  To re-anodize something the current plating has to be removed and this can make stuff like pin holes and screw holes loose.

While it can be done, you are better of either keeping it as is, or replacing the entire grenade launcher.
You should have sent it back when you received it and asked for a replacement.
View Quote
Thank you very much for the response. The thickness issue was what I was thinking would become a problem. So refinishing it is not worth doing. I don't want anything becoming loose, and removing the staked-in hardware is not something that I'm interested in doing. Purple it will remain.

Indeed, I should have refused the transfer when I received it, but I didn't notice how bad the color was off until I got home and put it next to my 6920. I emailed AU and they would not allow it to be returned. So I will have to look into selling this and seeing if AU has any in stock that are black.

Thanks for the replies, folks. You answered my questions perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe get is Cerakoted?  Not sure if that will work or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top