Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2021 12:58:49 PM EDT
Hi guys,

Couple questions for you, if you wouldn't mind?  This is a great knowledge base so I'm sure I'll receive some awesome answers!  TIA!

1. Doing my AR-15 upper, lower, grip, stock, buffer tube, free float MLOK rail, mlok rail covers, optic mount, and light in OD green.  For durability, would you go Aervoe, Rust-Oleum Specialty Camouflage, or Krylon ColorMAXX Paint+Primer?  Don't have funds for Cerakote, would LOVE a cerakoted Magpul ODG set, but that's like $300 locally. Figure with spray, I can touch up as needed, but want something will hold up to class, range time, deer hunts, 'yote hunts, rabbit/varmint hunts, add the bumping/weather changes/rubbing that come with those activities.  It's a working gun, not a show piece.

2. Recently inherited my Papa's (grand dad on mom's side, loved to be called that) hunting rifle.  It's a 1968 Sako FinnBear in .30-06 Springfield.  Pic below, I suck at photography, so I found a stock photo of the gun, but it looks exactly like that.  Looks like he maybe used it once or twice in the field (he really liked .243 Winchester, had like 7 of those lol) and is in near-perfect condition.  Very small scratch on the stock about 1 inch long, but hair-thin.  I'd like to protect the stock to keep it nice and beautiful, how it is now.  Are there any treatments or coatings I can do to protect it?  I don't use it much ( 30 -06 is so fuckin expensive now, and can't even find locally!!!) so it's a once-a-year sight in, deer hunt, clean, then back in safe type of gun.  I'm using Weapon Shield Grease on the bolt, bolt handle, and exposed metal to keep it nice and protected, but no idea about the stock.  It rests in a padded, fleece, silicon-treated gunsock from Midway inside my safe.  Any thoughts?

Thanks again guys.  Hope you all are safe and well!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally love the worn rattle can look so any would be ideal imho. I have no idea on the wood. I am a cerakoter, my business partner handles all the FFL side, he got covid and almost died and may be out for up to 90 days. If you want to send the add on parts, I can spray in Magpul OD if you cover shipping and materials. Similar to my 12.5 I did in fde instead of OD.

I would do the whole thing rattle canned and let it wear. I am trying to talk my self into doing that on my 12.5 AK I did in OD.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few Finnbears.  My 30-06 has no sentimental value but it's a nice example with a beautiful clean stock, or it was until one day at the range I had it propped against the bench and it slid off and smacked the concrete, ejecting a big chip from the fore end  So I found a beautiful replacement that looks factory new to replace it with.  But it's still in bubble wrap in my closet.  I can't bring myself to put it on while I still might hunt that particular rifle.  So I keep the beater on it for now.

The 25-06 I inherited from my dad I basically retired.  It's well used but I'd like to keep it as is if I can.

I don't know of anything to do what you're asking that wouldn't degrade the rifle (like bedliner) or just succumb to the same dings as the original finish.  On the other hand, if you maintained it with Tru-Oil often, that would probably fill and level any scratches and minor knicks without sanding.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If durability is a paramount requirement. And you do not want to go with CK for cost reasons, personally i would go with duracoat that you fo at home.
Obviously degreasing and prep are key!
They have two easy do at home options one is (Can inside of Can ) technology that allows you to mix the 2 part epoxy components internally. The other is something called a pre-Val sprayer You mix the components externally and then spray.
Easypeasy
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, all
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
On your sako I'd likely rub in some Renaissance wax or something similar and then go out and use it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top