Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2018 5:55:15 PM EDT
I've been looking at getting one for years, but don't want to wait the 5+ years.  I wished a few years ago I would have ordered one and I would have gotten it by now.

Does anybody have one?  How do you like it?

I got my Randall in a few months ago finally got around to post pics.

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
the two I've got I bought customized decades ago, both took less than 2years each to arrive. I visited the shop while in Orlando and made the down payment, I'd send them a check every couple months. There are sites where you can buy them from dealers, google is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of Randall knives and I love them.

There are several dealers who sell them at the same price the Randall shop does, but you can usually get your knife in about a year vs. the five year wait.

Check out these dealers:

Capt. Chris Stansback:

http://www.captainchrisstanabackrandallknives.com/index.php?/main/show/303/0

Buxton Knives:

https://buxtonknives.com

Clinton Knives:

https://www.clintonknives.com
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple of Randall knives and I love them.

There are several dealers who sell them at the same price the Randall shop does, but you can usually get your knife in about a year vs. the five year wait.

Check out these dealers:

Capt. Chris Stansback:

http://www.captainchrisstanabackrandallknives.com/index.php?/main/show/303/0

Buxton Knives:

https://buxtonknives.com

Clinton Knives:

https://www.clintonknives.com
View Quote
damn, I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Those prices are more than double what I was paying back in the eighties.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I got three
Dennis
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Also try
www.nordicknives.com
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few here....somewhere, they are cool to have, fun to get and after a while you forget where you put them.

Maybe just me
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

damn, I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Those prices are more than double what I was paying back in he eighties.
View Quote
Agreed…I bought my first Randall around 1982 from their shop. It was a Model 14 and I think I paid around $250.00. As I recall, it took about a year to get it in hand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]

I had that made for my dad back in the mid 90s.  Black micarta commando swell, 7" SS blade, brass double hilt/pommel and RWB spacers.

I just got back from visiting him in L.A. for 3 weeks and at almost 83, he's slowed down a lot.  He probably hasn't looked at it in 20+ years, so my sister told me to just take it back with me.

I went with Captain Chris Stanaback and my wait was only about 6 months.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Model 14 Sawback. Really like it. I bought it to use rather than to just spend time in the safe or similar. It's dinged and scratched and goes with me all over the place.

Picked it up from Nordic Knives.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Model 14 Sawback. Really like it. I bought it to use rather than to just spend time in the safe or similar. It's dinged and scratched and goes with me all over the place.

Picked it up from Nordic Knives.
View Quote
My #5 is in my go bag in the back of my vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I own five (5) and have owned probably 10 in total over the years.  I have NEVER waited for 5 years....there are some excellent dealers that get to the front of the line.  Pay the 10% or so for the service...its well worth it.   I think the one that has my name on the blade was done in less than 6 months and cost me an extra $70.00 big woop!  Don't wait 5 years buddy, life is too short.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Example...I buy from Buxton, good guys:

https://buxtonknives.com/available_now/model-1-all-purpose-fighting-knife-7-ss2/    - no wait, you will have it by next week easy @ $475.00

http://www.randallknives.com/knives/model-1-all-purpose-fighting-knife/

- 5 year wait @ $405.00
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Just one, Model 28.  If I decide to get another I'll go with a dealer and pay a bit more and not wait 5 years.

DSC_6642-Randall 28 Outside Sheath by FredMan, on Flickr

Randall 28 by FredMan, on Flickr

Randall 28 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I just emailed a dealer that sells his knives.  I like the looks of the model 25 Trapper.  Thanks for the great info guys and keep those knife pics coming in
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I have several. My first two I purchased through an online catalog order over a decade ago and it took them 5 or 6 years to send them to me. My last one I purchased through Randall authorized dealer Rick Ward at catalog price and it took him about 6 months to get it from Randall. I love my Randall knives. They are much higher quality than most knife makers, except for custom makers like Loveless, Bagwell, and others.

Rick Ward link

The three in the middle are Randall knives.
" />
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Uh, no. There are many authorized Randall dealers that charge no more than catalog price. Check out Rick Ward. I paid catalog price and got a Randall knife in about 6 months.

Rick Ward
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Last one I bought was shipped the next day overnight.  If you want a "custom" Randall you may have to wait years.  But, standard models are available quite quickly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t own one...yet. But I really want one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool looking knives, but what is it about them that demands such high prices?  Is it the steel or something else?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35061277123_22315f7876_z.jpg

I had that made for my dad back in the mid 90s.  Black micarta commando swell, 7" SS blade, brass double hilt/pommel and RWB spacers.

I just got back from visiting him in L.A. for 3 weeks and at almost 83, he's slowed down a lot.  He probably hasn't looked at it in 20+ years, so my sister told me to just take it back with me.

Chris
View Quote
Every time I see this pic it re-ignites my Randall itch!
You gotta be quick on the Captain's site though. All the great ones get sold quick.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Just go to a gun show. You’ll probably find some there. I never used my Randall. It was a safe queen. Two weeks ago I bought an ESEE 5  (made by Randall) that is built like a tank. I’ll use the hell out of it. I like it much better than the fancy ones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just go to a gun show. You’ll probably find some there. I never used my Randall. It was a safe queen. Two weeks ago I bought an ESEE 5  (made by Randall) that is built like a tank. I’ll use the hell out of it. I like it much better than the fancy ones.
View Quote
Same Randall?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Got a Model 1, 8"
Closest I could find to the original WW2 Fighter model.

Made a WW2 style sheath for it & carried it in the field in Normandy for a week as part of a D-Day event/reenactment.
Based the scabbard on the one General James Gavin had his Randall in (check it out online, IIRC its in the West Point museum

Plan to get more Model 1 variants when I can.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cool looking knives, but what is it about them that demands such high prices?  Is it the steel or something else?
View Quote
A lot of it is the exclusivity and cachet.  Randall's knives stormed the beach at Normandy, dropped into Holland in Market Garden, held out in foxholes at the Bulge, and went to the moon with the Apollo astronauts.

Plus good steel and excellent craftmanship.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tradition, exclusivity and hype. You can buy a much better knife for cheaper, but none of your buddies will swoon over it like they would with a Randall.

It's kinda like owning a Plymouth Duster. A new Civic is better in every way, but which is cooler?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Jeff Randall - no relation to Bo Randall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same Randall?
Jeff Randall - no relation to Bo Randall.
I didn’t know that. I thought it was a no frills, ball busting Randall.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I just received my Randall Model 5-4 that I ordered back in February. I packed it with me on last weeks mule deer hunt:

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just received my Randall Model 5-4 that I ordered back in February. I packed it with me on last weeks mule deer hunt:

https://i.postimg.cc/pd0gNZyd/88974083-2507-46-BE-A3-E8-89-E4-D4-DE4-E3-C.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice looking blade.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I know these are “legendary” but performance wise any advantage over Busse?

I spend big money on Busse and have often considered ordering one of these.

Convince me
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome looking knife.  I love the micarta handle on your knife.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome looking knife.  I love the micarta handle on your knife.
View Quote
Thanks!

It is nothing fancy, just a plain and simple blade that should hold up to being used and abused. I am planning on making this my main knife to pack around the hacienda and the ranch for general every day use……
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks!

It is nothing fancy, just a plain and simple blade that should hold up to being used and abused. I am planning on making this my main knife to pack around the hacienda and the ranch for general every day use……
View Quote
Did you buy it direct from Randall or a dealer?  It looks like a custom since the catalog model 5 usually comes with a stag handle.  I really like the black micarta, looks awesome.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn, that's purty!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes- got one last year
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you buy it direct from Randall or a dealer?  It looks like a custom since the catalog model 5 usually comes with a stag handle.  I really like the black micarta, looks awesome.
View Quote
I got it from Stanaback knives:

Stanaback Knives

He is a dealer out of Florida and he sells the knives for the same price as the Randall shop. I ordered it with the black Micarta instead of the standard stag as I wanted something more durable. I also had them add the hole in the handle for the wrist strap.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#38]
One of these days...
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#39]
My combo for when I want to feel a little classy in the woods

Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I have two, sorry for old ipotato pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a very nice looking knife.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You gotta be quick on the Captain's site though. All the great ones get sold quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35061277123_22315f7876_z.jpg

Chris
There's a gun store that is a dealer of Randall Knives and they have the 1-7 Fighter with leather grip but it isn't the Commando type handle. They want about 550+tax. I'm thinking of jumping on it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/e14YduV.jpg
View Quote
Which one is that, a 1-5? Very nice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, it's actually a 1-7
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#45]
These are the rest of my Randall's:

This is a Model 8-4 with stag handle:

This one is a Model 26 with stag. Out of all of my Randall's, this one has yet to be carried.....:

Model 10-3:

My 12-9 with the Model 14 blade grind and stag.....This one is my "Now that's a knife" knife:

Model 15:

Another Model 15:

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, it looks tiny next to the shooter! That's exactly the one that I'm getting. Except mine is ss. And they're selling it for 503+tax. So, like 543 bucks.ETA: Nice pics.
What I really, REALLY want is a 14-9 with border patrol handle in green micarta.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Mic214, that's an awesome collection you have there.  Those are some super nice knives.  I should be getting my model 25 next month I hope.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mic214, that's an awesome collection you have there.  Those are some super nice knives.  I should be getting my model 25 next month I hope.
View Quote
Thanks!

I can’t wait to see your Model 25. I am getting back into kayaking, so I just ordered a Model 15 set up for that (Stainless with Sawteeth) from Stanaback knives……
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A lot of it is the exclusivity and cachet.  Randall's knives stormed the beach at Normandy, dropped into Holland in Market Garden, held out in foxholes at the Bulge, and went to the moon with the Apollo astronauts.

Plus good steel and excellent craftmanship.
View Quote
why the hell would you need a knife on the moon?!?!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

why the hell would you need a knife on the moon?!?!
View Quote
For the cheese.

But seriously, most likely for cutting things.

ETA there are some nice knives in this thread, I want a Randall!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top