Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 7:06:26 PM EDT
The test was done using a pop-up shot timer target that measured the time to first hit from when the target started moving and subsequent split times.

There were five exposures that each required five hits. First two at 15-20 yards before a displace/reload to the next two exposures at 30-35 yards in the kneeling position before a displace/reload to the last exposure in the prone position at 40 yards.

Baseline was established with no armor before run throughs with soft IIIA panels, IIIA + Hesco L210s and IIIA + steel plates.

Soft IIIA armor:       5.8 lbs
IIIA + L210s:          17.2 lbs
IIIA + Steel plates:  25.8 lbs

https://youtu.be/kUR5G4uZKDU

Overall the increased weight did result in longer split times and longer times to 1st round on target, but not as much as I was expecting. I've been trying to paste the tables of figures and graphs but they don't copy across - you can see the results in the video link above.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Moving short distances and shooting targets when you're at 'full energy' gives an idea of how the additional weight and loss of mobility can affect you initially. Armor has an accumulative affect also. After you have worn a 20 pound vest for a couple hours and then climbed a hill and sprinted 1/4 mile, that 20 pounds is gonna feel like 50 pounds and the difference in times will jump exponentially. My point being, armor has its advantages, but keeping in mind when an advantage can turn into a disadvantage is part of a bigger equation.
Thanks for the video, by the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top