Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2022 6:35:58 PM EDT
I have switched carriers but am disappointed in the fit. I bought a large
BLACKHAWK! Low Vis Body Armor Plate Carrier Harness 500D Nylon
To fit my 10x12 plates.

Width is good but the plate is shorter than the pocket is tall, so it sits lower than I would like.

What is my best option:

Add internal straps with Velcro, to hold the plate higher?

Add another horizontal strip of Velcro to the bottom of the carrier, such that it folds up higher and holds the plate higher?

Add some kind of "spacer" to the bottom of the plate?  No idea what to use here ...

Options 1 and 2, I'd buy Velcro from Joann etc.

Different plate carrier is of course an option. I already have an instructor carrier that I like, but wanted to see how a slick carrier would fit instead.

Edit:
I did see this thread. I could try a medium carrier.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Plates-too-small-for-carrier/10-520270/

Edit 2: decided to order medium carrier since it's $29 ....

Update:
Medium carrier is the right fit for these plates. It was incredibly snug but they fit. Next time I may try one of the "stretch molle gear" videos that show water and conditioner being used. Or consider shaving off / polishing some of the buildup coat on the side edges, which seemed to create a bit of drag during insertion.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Had the same issue with my Slickster and Highcom plates.  I had some high density foam/styrofoam stuff.  Cut a piece to match the shape of my plate, taped it to the plate, and used it to fill the space.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Medium plates for medium carriers for medium chests.  Large plates for large carriers for large chests.  This is all based on BDU and IBA sizing.  10x12s are not a plate size, plate carrier size, or blouse size.

What's your chest measurement?
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand they're not official sized plates. It's 10x12 from https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spartan-omega-ar500-body-armor-shooters-cut-set-of-two/

Bought years ago because I didn't want the fragility of ceramic plates or the time sensitivity of flexible armor.  And they were cheap.

I'll see if these plates fit the medium carrier any better. Blackhawk says the carriers officially fit their"ballistic ceramic"  plates.

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to discard the carrier, and discard that "armor". There's little utility in making any modification to that setup because at the end of it all it is still a cheap and ill-fitting Chinese carrier, and the plates are better used as targets than life protecting equipment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to discard the carrier, and discard that "armor". There's little utility in making any modification to that setup because at the end of it all it is still a cheap and ill-fitting Chinese carrier, and the plates are better used as targets than life protecting equipment.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Medium carrier should do the trick.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
as has already been said, carriers are sized to plates not your body. you buy the size you need for your plates. cummerbund is sized for your amount of thicccness.

quality carriers arent that expensive. top tier carriers can be had for around 200.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I built some cardboard risers to fill the bottom of this plate carrier.  They do the trick and cost nothing.

ETA: Tactical Tailor carrier and Midwest Armor EXO plates.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
And, I added some cut-to-fit chunks of an old GI sleeping mat to fill the space behind the plates.  Maybe they'll help absorb some of the blunt force impact too?

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#10]
A common solution to this is to cut a pool noodle to size. You can make it as thick and wide as needed, it's lightweight, and even acts as a pad at the bottom of your plate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A common solution to this is to cut a pool noodle to size. You can make it as thick and wide as needed, it's lightweight, and even acts as a pad at the bottom of your plate.
View Quote

That's a great idea, I have those
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Medium carrier should do the trick.
View Quote

I'll update when it's in
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I built some cardboard risers to fill the bottom of this plate carrier.  They do the trick and cost nothing.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52201691700_791fc45833_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52201692580_9a4e12c74e_z.jpg

ETA: Tactical Tailor carrier and Midwest Armor EXO plates.
View Quote

So how do you plan on dealing with that soaking mess of sweat or rain when actually used?

I am having a hard time understanding how making a large portion of your armor area made out of literal cardboard could be viewed as anything other than a joke. You really need a proper fitting carrier and correctly-sized plates. This is life protecting equipment.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So how do you plan on dealing with that soaking mess of sweat or rain when actually used?

I am having a hard time understanding how making a large portion of your armor area made out of literal cardboard could be viewed as anything other than a joke. You really need a proper fitting carrier and correctly-sized plates. This is life protecting equipment.
View Quote

It'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking of a way to raise some 8x10 plates in a small interceptor vest. I'm thinking of sewing some velcro straps in it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's a great idea, I have those
View Quote

The same thing as a Pool Noodle, can be had in different sizes at Lowes/Home Depot - look for pipe insulation wraps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
High density styrofoam bottom fill. Cheap and easy and lightweight. Wont last forever, so make a few at the same time and replace as needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top