Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 3:57:37 PM EDT
So, I’ve done some rit dye on PMags, I was wondering if anyone has done any dye on the Ruger American rifles stock? I know I could take a can of krylon and paint it, but I wanted to do that as a last resort. I don’t wanna do $200 for a cerakote job. I wouldn’t mind $100 for hydra dipping. anyway, I hate the moss green color so I was thinking may be dyeing it in a brownish, and seeing what it might turn out to look like. Worse I figured I spend $8 on dye, and then if it didn’t turn out to good, I spend $100 on hydra dipping. Thoughts or input? Photos if you have?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I Krylon dipped this Accustock in three colors of brown floated on water.

Pretty happy with the result, remains to be seen how durable it is.

Went on pretty thick.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Full screen photo shows where I picked it up before the paint cured, never noticed before....
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I mixed all three colors on the water.

I actually ended up with that look because I screwed up and was doing it wrong; I put the stock in the water with a weight on it and tried to collect the paint as I lifted it out, which was an exercise in frustration, the paint is floating on a layer of water on the stock and mostly runs off.

The correct method is spray on the water, drop the stock in, ( sticky air side of paint sticks to stock) , then pull it out.

Got the idea from a member here who did it on three chipmunk stocks with his kids, but I neglected to tag the now archived thread.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
A light tan a medium brown, a rust ( rustoleum ) brown and a spritz of black.

The smaller swirls came from repeatedly trying to lift the stock out of the water and catch the paint as it ran off, which resulted in it being stringy. If I had done it correctly, and dropped the stock on the floating paint from above it probably would have made broader patterns, which is what I was trying for. Instead, I was trying to lift the stock from in the water, underneath.

Because I was an idiot I stirred the paint up and had to make dozens of passes to get anything to stick while lifting the stock up from under the paint, resulting in the thick, stringy pattern.

The end result was cool, I'd like to try it again now that I understand the process better and see what I could get.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually remember doing that with plastic car models years ago, long before YouTube! I had thought about doing it with this, I had also thought about dyeing but using petroleum jelly to keep parts of it from being dyed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top