Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2020 12:54:41 PM EDT
These?

Am I reading it right that the $40 ones are better for reloading for bolt actions and these $50 ones are for semi autos?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen no need for small based sizing dies for my AR 6.5 Grendel. I have 2 different standard die sets that are good to go. Usually a small based sizer is for problems that do not exist. I do recommend highly modifying your ejector pin so the large Grendel case head can slide easily over it. If cartridges in the right side of an AR mag are misfeeding a radius on the ejector pin will fix the problem. Here's an article that shows why the standard square edged ejector pin can cause issues:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/08/ar-ejector-mod-for-improved-reliability-with-larger-cartridges/
 I wouldn't do the quick fix but would remove the ejector and radius the pin.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Small-base dies really work the brass.  While I dont have grendel experience, I can tell you I would only go for small-base after I knew for sure the specific chamber I was loading for needed it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Small-base dies really work the brass.  While I dont have grendel experience, I can tell you I would only go for small-base after I knew for sure the specific chamber I was loading for needed it.
View Quote

Got it, so buy the cheaper dies? Lol good
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Full length sizing die.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I use forster full length dies with the micrometer seating die without issue in my ar Grendel.

<Meme removed> this is a Technical Forum, not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen an application where small base dies were needed.  Forester, Redding, RCBS, Hornady.  Which ever company you go with, get their shell holder as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Use a RCBS shell holder and most likely you will never notice an issue.

At least 99% of the perceived problems fixed with small base dies were caused by failing to push the case shoulders back another 0.001 inches with the regular dies.  Which also slightly reduces the case diameter just forward of the case head.

View Quote

Just to confirm, that’s shell holder #32?
@aeroE

I plan to buy these today
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't need small base dies for semi-auto rifles. Just adjust your standard dies to achieve -.003" shoulder bump from the fired case measurement.

I've loaded tens of thousands .30-06 M1 Garand, .308 M1-A and .223 AR-15 and never needed a small base die.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
For my grendel AR's, I prefer the Forster full length resizing die and the Horndady seater die.  You will achieve less runout with this combo.

Between the RCBS and Hornady dies, I would pick the Hornady for the seater die alone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You don't need small base dies for semi-auto rifles. Just adjust your standard dies to achieve -.003" shoulder bump from the fired case measurement.

I've loaded tens of thousands .30-06 M1 Garand, .308 M1-A and .223 AR-15 and never needed a small base die.
View Quote

@borderpatrol
Good?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@borderpatrol
Good?
View Quote

I say GTG. It's important IMO to have headspace gages when setting up your dies. Hornady's Lock-N-Load system allows you to measure fired cases and set the shoulder back accordingly. Because it's usable across almost every common caliber it's a one and done purchase.

The very best headspace gages are Mo DeFina's followed by RCBS's micrometer case gage. Expensive and caliber specific. Simple drop in cases are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably.  I can't find this case in the RCBS chart, but I see that is the shell holder identified at Midway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use a RCBS shell holder and most likely you will never notice an issue.

At least 99% of the perceived problems fixed with small base dies were caused by failing to push the case shoulders back another 0.001 inches with the regular dies.  Which also slightly reduces the case diameter just forward of the case head.

Just to confirm, that’s shell holder #32?
@aeroE

Probably.  I can't find this case in the RCBS chart, but I see that is the shell holder identified at Midway.

Okay ordered those dies and that shell holder
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top