Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/4/2022 12:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pyle_Made_Sgt]
Well guys, I won’t say the wait is over for us all, but there’s been some progress as of recent. I’ve seen 3 black units out there so far. One is Larry’s demo unit at OTN. The other 2 so far were procured by Cory at Black Phase tactical and one of those went to the end consumer. I know this is only 3 units but it’s better than updates of absolute uncertainty like the past 18 months for some of us. Through the grapevine, Wilcox is something like 225 units on backorder and that’s for class 3B units only. Licentia and TNVC May have gotten a few too but haven’t seen or read any word on that. Knowing Augee I feel like we’d have heard such news by now if so. As for class 1 RAIDs I still don’t believe Wilcox has began production. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I appreciate the heads up.  I was just thinking about these recently and glad they are finally starting to drip in.  Hopefully someone can throw up a review on youtube to tide me over.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#2]
Well, some progress is better than no progress.

Any word on what the civilian versions were going for price wise? Has Wilcox announced their MSRP? I have a feeling it's going to be around $4K for one, but I seriously hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They look dope AF.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Any word on what the civilian versions were going for price wise? Has Wilcox announced their MSRP? I have a feeling it's going to be around $4K for one, but I seriously hope I'm wrong.
View Quote

Black Phase Tactical has it listed on their website for pre-order.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

Black Phase Tactical has it listed on their website for pre-order.
View Quote

Jeez, it's not as much as I though, but pretty close. It's definitely a direct competitor to the MAWL.  

Honestly, if the IR illumination is as nice as the MAWLs the price would be worth it due to the weight savings over the MAWL and size advantage.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#6]

Jeez, it's not as much as I though, but pretty close. It's definitely a direct competitor to the MAWL.  

Honestly, if the IR illumination is as nice as the MAWLs the price would be worth it due to the weight savings over the MAWL and size advantage.  
View Quote
Agreed. Been on a Pre-Order list for over a year and at this point could care less when it comes. I'll get it to try out and sell it if it doesn't measure up to hype.

IMO nothing compares to the MAWL for Illume on Civvie side. Just glad I got one long before they jacked their prices up!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:
Agreed. Been on a Pre-Order list for over a year and at this point could care less when it comes. I'll get it to try out and sell it if it doesn't measure up to hype.

IMO nothing compares to the MAWL for Illume on Civvie side. Just glad I got one long before they jacked their prices up!
View Quote

Well, I think it's a good bet that the Raid-Xe Civvie will be on par with the MAWL for performance since they both use the venerated VCSEL laser illumination.  Time will tell for sure though. When you get yours let us all know what you think.

Could finally be the civilian LAM I've been waiting for even though I do wish ideally that it would cost about half as much.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Well, I think it's a good bet that the Raid-Xe Civvie will be on par with the MAWL for performance since they both use the venerated VCSEL laser illumination.  Time will tell for sure though. When you get yours let us all know what you think.

Could finally be the civilian LAM I've been waiting for even though I do wish ideally that it would cost about half as much.
View Quote
I wouldn't count on it given the specs we saw at SHOT 2022:

Ridiculous if true. Hopefully it was just placeholder specs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

As far as I know, class 1 units will be the same MSRP as the restricted units.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pyle_Made_Sgt] [#10]

View Quote

I think the Raid will be superior in terms of programmability. According to Cory’s video from Black Phase Tactical, the Raid can be programmed (by the end user) to behave like a MAWL in terms of “switchology,” if so desired. Very interesting for sure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Pyle_Made_Sgt:
I think the Raid will be superior in terms of programmability. According to Cory’s video from Black Phase Tactical, the Raid can be programmed (by the end user) to behave like a MAWL in terms of “switchology,” if so desired. Very interesting for sure.
View Quote
Is that right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I saw that video, very glad that he put that up for us as rough and "doing it live" as it was.

The proprietary switch on the Raid Xe is like "eh", but I see why they had to go that direction in order to do their programmable operation through a switch.  It still looks like my number one contender right now for a future LAM.  

I'd really like to see the ZBOLT ACAL make it to market as well and then compare the two against the MAWL.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Augee,

As always, thank you for sharing as much information as you can in appropriate time. That does not go overlooked by our community. We also know you have a lot on your plate and remain vigilant by the taxing communication involved in consumer relations across several forms and forums alike.

I’m personally hoping to see tan units in production soon, mainly because that’s what I have on order, hehe. Though I’d hate to “jump” on all this info without also checking with the manufacturer, you’ve by far been the most informative on the RAID-XE situation to date. Take care and have a great Columbus Day!

-Sgt Pyle
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 5:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pyle_Made_Sgt] [#15]
KaerMorhenResident,

Initially, I too raised my nose at the proprietary port as I didn’t like the looks of the Wilcox switch and knew we’d be waiting on modlite and a few others to put their cool spin on it.

Seeing the video from black phase, the switch, cable and port look to be very high in quality and the entire XE system as a whole offers very diverse capability in terms of adjustability and programming/preference application.

It’s been a long wait, too long really. But I’m excited as hell!
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee: "fluid."

Wilcox also released an addendum in August explicitly prohibiting individual sales of Class IIIB lasers ahead of the release of the XE family, though I know some dealers had already taken orders.

View Quote

Also, I wonder if Wilcox nixxed individual sales because they saw how many RAID-X’s were sold second hand or if the drawbacks of individual sales altogether for RAIDs has yielded undesirable results to the end consumer?
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:01:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#17]
Is that spec sheet correct for the low power????

In fact it doesn't make any sense given the MAWL C1+ illuminator is low, 5mW; medium, 13 - 17mW; high, 50 - 65mw; and high+ 67 mW.

Also KIJI3 low, 5mW; medium, 15mW; high, 85mW and high+ 150mW.

Surely the low is a typo and should read 7mW???
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 10:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Augee] [#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]
KaerMorhenResident,

Initially, I too raised my nose at the proprietary port as I didn’t like the looks of the Wilcox switch and knew we’d be waiting on modlite and a few others to put their cool spin on it.

Seeing the video from black phase, the switch, cable and port look to be very high in quality and the entire XE system as a whole offers very diverse capability in terms of adjustability and programming/preference application.

It’s been a long wait, too long really. But I’m excited as hell!
View Quote

Yeah, I always dislike proprietary anything, because I am always modifying or changing up something. However, the Xe's switch looks very doable and I'm not going to complain if these reach the civilian market, because for me they are my cup o tea in terms of weight and form factor.  I do wonder whether a TAPS could be done to replace it as an after market option?

God bless BE Meyers and the MAWL, great unit and I know everyone who has one sings their praises to the Heavens and deservedly so. That's awesome, but I'm just really all about keeping my rifle as light as possible and people can say "grow stronger" or whatever, but a front heavy rifle is not great in my humble old me opinion.   Plus, we're seeing some companies now like Jagerwerks, HRF Concepts, and of course GBRS (took to too extreme in my opinion) with these centered risers now for the smaller LAMs.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah, I always dislike proprietary anything, because I am always modifying or changing up something. However, the Xe's switch looks very doable and I'm not going to complain if these reach the civilian market, because for me they are my cup o tea in terms of weight and form factor.  I do wonder whether a TAPS could be done to replace it as an after market option?

View Quote

Yep same, but I understand why Wilcox had to do it for the programmability of the XE. As for an XE compatible TAPS variant, I wouldn’t hold my breath on such. That would be a far cry for any switch maker outside of the OEM at least for the next couple years as these digital units we’re seeing are becoming quite complex in terms of switchology.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I've heard there's an issue with the green vis, like they won't have any or it will be extremely limited.  Is that accurate?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

Like many laser manufacturers, Wilcox has been affected by a general shortage and increase in pricing of appropriate laser diodes for use in these systems.

I do not currently have an ETA on availability of the Low Power variant that I would be confident in sharing. Others may be willing to offer other predictions, but lead times on the whole XE family have tended to be a little... "fluid.".

~Augee
View Quote

Based on your (limited) observations, what is your best guess on the primary reason it had delays/took so long to come to market?

1) because they took their time to get it right — so end users have a low risk of being “beta testers”
2) because of supply chain or other reasons unrelated to product quality

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I’ll have a hard time justifying $4k to upgrade from a 12 oz Perst-3…
But that 5 oz weight is appealing.
I believe the NGAL had been the only full function (vis laser+IR laser+IR illum) device in this weight class.

Will need to see performance reports on the illuminator given that a man who knows (Augee) is saying seems to matter with illum performance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Yep same, but I understand why Wilcox had to do it for the programmability of the XE. As for an XE compatible TAPS variant, I wouldn’t hold my breath on such. That would be a far cry for any switch maker outside of the OEM at least for the next couple years as these digital units we’re seeing are becoming quite complex in terms of switchology.
View Quote

Does anyone know how many inches long the wire is for the switch? I'm wondering whether I could run it with one of the new center upper receiver mounts like the Jagerwerks?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Does anyone know how many inches long the wire is for the switch? I'm wondering whether I could run it with one of the new center upper receiver mounts like the Jagerwerks?
View Quote
Should be 12" if the datasheet is up to date.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 4:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangrullon87] [#27]
Had mine on order since August '21. Still waiting. Dealers got some preview models big drops are estimated for Mar '23... At least from what I've been told. These are for the full power models, god knows when the CIV models will drop.

The specs are now published with their latest website update.

Vis Laser :  Green 0.7mw Min, 42mw Max.  Red: 0.7mw - 90mw Max.
IR Laser : 0.7mw - 36mw
IR Illuminator: 0.7mw - 90mw

Proprietary cable will have to be tested, honestly my only gripe since I have so many other switches, sure unity will develop a hot button once there more available. The housing is now polymer + magnesium, RAID-X was full magnesium but there were several reports of the frame cracking which could explain the redesign.

Black Phase has done an incredible comparison video against the Raid-x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5_grZg2HB0

Not my photos but thought yall would like some.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By i_tell_you_what:
I've heard there's an issue with the green vis, like they won't have any or it will be extremely limited.  Is that accurate?
View Quote

I’ve not heard anything about that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dangrullon87:
Had mine on order since August '21. Still waiting. Dealers got some preview models big drops are estimated for Mar '23... At least from what I've been told. These are for the full power models, god knows when the CIV models will drop.
View Quote

Hopefully they have their production runs going from the full power model to the CIV so that we'll see the CIV version by around the end of the second quarter or first third quarter of '23 (June/July).  

Provided Wilcox isn't going back to some DFAR contract run right after the full power open market drops. My guess is that companies like Wilcox may operate on indefinite quantity military acquisition contracts so that if DOD or some entity thereunder orders a batch up during a period they have to prioritize that over production for the open market.  That combined with any supply issues with the foreign produced components could mean that it could be a very long time before we have civilian versions up for sale, but hopefully not. Hopefully I'm completely wrong.  

Overall, it's a shit position for us civilians to be in. These LAMs are significant in cost and it would suck to purchase a current production LAM from another manufacturer only to have the Wlicox then drop a few months later. However, vice versa it would suck to forgo the purchase of a LAM only to end up having to wait months, a year, or even longer to purchase a LAM.  

The civilian LAM market is absolutely abysmal.  I'm really hoping that will start to change, but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#30]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TNVC:

You know, not that long ago ALL IR LASERS were restricted no matter what the power level was. Just saying...
View Quote

Vic,

I read a while back about how TNVC has basically  kickstarted the class 1 MFAL market for civilians. You guys have totally changed the game for the non-mil consumers! Now about those fusion pano’s….
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#32]

...SNIP...

The civilian LAM market is absolutely abysmal.  I'm really hoping that will start to change, but I'm not holding my breath.
View Quote

You know, not that long ago ALL IR LASERS were restricted no matter what the power level was. Just saying...
View Quote
I’m just curious as to why high-er power things like the MAWL and Kiji VCSEL illuminators are completely unregulated for civilian sales while higher powered IIIb “regular” laser illuminators are restricted.  VCSEL illuminators are still lasers at the end of the day and they’re pushing IIIb numbers.

Is it because they are fixed focus?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#33]
An array of lasers to produce that, rather than 1, plus intimate knowledge of the range the measurements are taken at instead of limiting them at the emitter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
I’m just curious as to why high-er power things like the MAWL and Kiji VCSEL illuminators are completely unregulated for civilian sales while higher powered IIIb “regular” laser illuminators are restricted.  VCSEL illuminators are still lasers at the end of the day and they’re pushing IIIb numbers.

Is it because they are fixed focus?
View Quote

Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
An array of lasers to produce that, rather than 1, plus intimate knowledge of the range the measurements are taken at instead of limiting them at the emitter.
View Quote

Really?!? Because if that’s the actual reason the. that seems very VERY much like meaningless semantics.  Like… wafer/chip/quantum level semantics.

Driver gives diode power, diode package shoots a certain quantity & wavelength of coherent light out the front, then lenses shape the beam divergence(s).  It’s true for both and seems like semantics to say civilians can have one but not the other.  Both diode packages can even have identical form factors as far as the unit is concerned… I just can’t imagine why the FDA would care what’s happening on the chip substrate level because it’s not like either is more or less dangerous than the other.  Then again, gov regulating agencies rarely rely on things like logic to make decisions.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
...   Then again, gov regulating agencies rarely rely on things like logic to make decisions.
View Quote

Mostly that
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:37:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sveesix] [#37]
Originally Posted By dangrullon87:

The specs are now published with their latest website update.

Vis Laser :  Green 0.7mw Min, 42mw Max.  Red: 0.7mw - 90mw Max.
IR Laser : 0.7mw - 36mw
IR Illuminator: 0.7mw - 90mw

Proprietary cable will have to be tested, honestly my only gripe since I have so many other switches, sure unity will develop a hot button once there more available. The housing is now polymer + magnesium, RAID-X was full magnesium but there were several reports of the frame cracking which could explain the redesign.

Black Phase has done an incredible comparison video against the Raid-x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5_grZg2HB0

Not my photos but thought yall would like some.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/382628/309309555_826052538424383_47822547976357-2561744.JPG
View Quote

Hey that picture looks familiar!

I finally had the chance to get the XE mounted up a few days ago. With work I haven’t really had much time to play around at night yet. Will have some videos up as well with a side by side between the XE and the MAWL. First impression: it was well worth the weight. A few quirks though. First of all the remote switch is only designed to be mounted on a pic rail (3 or 9 o’clock) with no MLOK provisions and it isn’t really top mountable. Hoepfulky someone comes out with an adapter instead of having to use a Magpul 7 slot or the like. The hard dust cover is TIGHT. I mean it takes two hands to move it tight. I’ll probably be going back to the rubberized one. The illumination is fantastic. More in that when I finally get a video up with some more details.

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By sveesix:

I finally had the chance to get the XE mounted up a few days ago. With work I haven’t really had much time to play around at night yet. Will have some videos up as well with a side by side between the XE and the MAWL. First impression: it was well worth the weight. A few quirks though. First of all the remote switch is only designed to be mounted on a pic rail (3 or 9 o’clock) with no MLOK provisions and it isn’t really top mountable. Hoepfulky someone comes out with an adapter instead of having to use a Magpul 7 slot or the like. The hard dust cover is TIGHT. I mean it takes two hands to move it tight. I’ll probably be going back to the rubberized one. The illumination is fantastic. More in that when I finally get a video up with some more details.

https://i.ibb.co/BGNj4BJ/1-E957-A70-9-A3-B-417-D-AE99-196-C3-E108-D0-E.jpg
View Quote

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to do that.  Is this the full strength version or the civilian power version?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By chR15:

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to do that.  Is this the full strength version or the civilian power version?
View Quote

Full power. I’ll get my 14 in a tripod with my camera behind it and get some nice video.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I know Vic, and honestly if it wasn't for you and Matt Meyers we'd have nothing at all. Credit where credit is due.  You guys have probably sold a literal Army Group size worth of LAMs to civilians over the years and it is appreciated.  Just love to see some civi NGLS units and other small and feature rich LAMs like the Raid Xe.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sveesix:

https://i.ibb.co/BGNj4BJ/1-E957-A70-9-A3-B-417-D-AE99-196-C3-E108-D0-E.jpg
View Quote

Oh, she's beautiful.  Glad to hear that the full power is nice and yeah the proprietary switch is like "eh", but hopefully enough of these reach end users that an after market switch becomes a profitable venture for someone.  

Maybe the hard cover would loosen a bit over time?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there a delay between hitting the button and the thing actually activating?

I hated that so much on the RAPTAR along with the weak illuminator.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By spork:

View Quote
There is minimal delay on the RAID-X, so I would assume that the RAID-Xe is fine in that regard. Assume being the keyword.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By spork:

View Quote

No delay that I can notice!
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:38:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Soooo sounds like the latest blast of inventory that hit dealers was red-laser civi models. Anybody got a confirmation from the safety sticker or manual on what the power outputs are?
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 3:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#47]
Originally Posted By jwramp:
Soooo sounds like the latest blast of inventory that hit dealers was red-laser civi models. Anybody got a confirmation from the safety sticker or manual on what the power outputs are?
View Quote

@jwramp

That was me you saw on reddit.

Kosher Surplus has pics of the actual units but they're blurry.

https://www.customnightvision.com/product/wilcox-industries-raid-xe-next-gen-laser-civilian-power/

I snagged a tan civilian variant. Hopefully it doesn't suck. Have had and used MAWLs, D2s, A3s and full power PEQ-15s.

Wanted to try this.

I'll take whatever pics yall want when I get mine. Spoke to Glynn over at NVI and mines shipping Monday and I'm paying for 2-day air.

This is what I paid-

Attachment Attached File

These are the civilian model specs I pulled off the Wilcox data sheet today-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Benny at Kosher Surplus is making a comparison vid between the civilian RAID-Xe, the MAWL C1+, full power PEQ-15 and an NGAL.

Sneek peak pic they posted on their IG-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm anxiously awaiting some hands on user review. I'm ready to ditch my FP Peq for either a Mawl or one of these. Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Yeet-Cannon:
These are the civilian model specs I pulled off the Wilcox data sheet today-

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241023/Screenshot_20221104_153729_OneDrive_jpg-2587498.JPG
View Quote

If those are indeed accurate, I wonder how they pushed >0.7mW out of the IR aiming laser.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top