Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2021 8:55:57 AM EDT
Does anyone here actually have one? Do they sound as bad as people assume? They are going on sale next month and I am considering getting one.

I understand that they are heavy and the baffle design is far from optimal

If the price is right during the sale I would like to get one even though they are heavy. I'm already set up with YHM mounts and have the drill fixture. When I read about it I can not find anyone with first hand experience or how it actually stacks up against others. It's all assumptions based on the baffle design. I wouldn't expect it sound as good as my Turbos, but how bad are they in reality? Any regrets buying one?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been building silencers long enough to know it will underperform almost anything made w/in the last 15-20yrs (save for maybe the Kestral).
Don't waste your time or money.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
@User55645

What's the Kestral? I searched around with no luck.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Huntertownarms.  No longer in business.  Shilled by Youtube influencers and dealers who liked huge markups on poor to mediocre made simple designs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been building silencers long enough to know it will underperform almost anything made w/in the last 15-20yrs (save for maybe the Kestral).
Don't waste your time or money.
View Quote
Does this apply to the new design as well? 50deg cones with a small 110deg shoulder. I would assume they would be almost as good as 60Deg cones, but I am far from an expert here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Does this apply to the new design as well?
View Quote

In my first reply, I simply googled the thread title and it returned this. That's the garbage I was replying to.
The "upgraded kit", found here, is a much better design.
I think you could do better on price and materials, though.
A lot has been lost due to website hosting issues, but join here and you'll understand a bit more. It's another forum, but completely free and dedicated to form 1 silencers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome. Thank you
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In my first reply, I simply googled the thread title and it returned this. That's the garbage I was replying to.
The "upgraded kit", found here, is a much better design.
I think you could do better on price and materials, though.
A lot has been lost due to website hosting issues, but join here and you'll understand a bit more. It's another forum, but completely free and dedicated to form 1 silencers.
View Quote

That new model is not what I remember in the 5.56 can. I would be almost will to bet he sources those. If I remember correctly, the old 5.56 baffles looked like a small cone made out of a freeze plug.
EtA: The first links cups still looked better than what I remember.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EtA: The first links cups still looked better than what I remember.
View Quote

Oh, I'm sure they could've provided something worse, earlier on.
This is what the first link looks like, after boring. In between a flat and slightly pressed freeze plug.

@USAFtacFANAC
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh, I'm sure they could've provided something worse, earlier on.
This is what the first link looks like, after boring. In between a flat and slightly pressed freeze plug.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9Shlkig9gyPNGiJgj1EleRDQ2hHCAkgBrvA&usqp=CAU
@USAFtacFANAC
View Quote

That is it. Even in my rookie status, I know that would not be effective.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of the .30 cal / 5.56 kits that I made into a .30 cal can.  It's a piece of hot, heavy garbage.  It's 9 inches, weights about 2 lbs, barely takes the bark off a 5.56, and feels like a duece from Shaq. I think I paid $350 including the stamp so I'm not really out that much money.  It will eventually go to Nick at ecco for a 9 inch welded baffle stack design that I love seeing him make.  

On the other hand, the .22lr kit has been great (I have the Ti).  
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one of the .30 cal / 5.56 kits that I made into a .30 cal can.  It's a piece of hot, heavy garbage.  It's 9 inches, weights about 2 lbs, barely takes the bark off a 5.56, and feels like a duece from Shaq. I think I paid $350 including the stamp so I'm not really out that much money.  It will eventually go to Nick at ecco for a 9 inch welded baffle stack design that I love seeing him make.  

On the other hand, the .22lr kit has been great (I have the Ti).  
View Quote

I will dissent.  

Mine all seem to do a decent job at suppression, and while 22oz isn't nothing, my wife doesn't seem to have a problem with it on her 11.5 inch AR.  I don't have a decibel meter so I can't give numbers but for the money and ease of creating I am very satisfied with my 22, 45 and 30 cal cans.  They're not cutting edge but they're designed well, Silencer Student did a pretty thorough review including decibel tests.  Did you clip yours?  I did the single clip method (per Silencer Student) and line them up (per SilencerCo).
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I only have their .22 kit but just from my experience with that I wouldn’t recommend the 5.56 version. The .22 can barely suppresses the shot, maybe a 2 out of 10. Last week I was #49 on the waiting list for Ecco to recore it into something useful. Hopefully it won’t be much longer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I got one while they were on sale. It sounds a lot like my YHM Turbo T2, slightly different tone but sounds just as quiet. I may send it off to get it clipped. It is ugly and heavy but it works well. I will be doing some grouping soon to see if it causes my groups to open up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:It sounds a lot like my YHM Turbo T2, slightly different tone but sounds just as quiet. I may send it off to get it clipped.
View Quote

I have a hard time believing it sounds just as good as a YHM can, w/o being clipped.

Regardless, you should definitely clip the baffles. This can be done by you and doesn't need to go to an SOT.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I only have their .22 kit but just from my experience with that I wouldn't recommend the 5.56 version. The .22 can barely suppresses the shot, maybe a 2 out of 10. Last week I was #49 on the waiting list for Ecco to recore it into something useful. Hopefully it won't be much longer.
View Quote
What host and ammo?

Try rotating the vents on the k baffle so they all don't line up.  Kind of hard to explain but the vent that exhausts into the sidewall of the can.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I will dissent.  

Mine all seem to do a decent job at suppression, and while 22oz isn't nothing, my wife doesn't seem to have a problem with it on her 11.5 inch AR.  I don't have a decibel meter so I can't give numbers but for the money and ease of creating I am very satisfied with my 22, 45 and 30 cal cans.  They're not cutting edge but they're designed well, Silencer Student did a pretty thorough review including decibel tests.  Did you clip yours?  I did the single clip method (per Silencer Student) and line them up (per SilencerCo).
View Quote
Clipped when I drilled and used some superglue to keep the stack together during assembly.  I've had it on my 11.5 as well and it's manageable.  It was built for a 16 inch night rifle so it's just too heavy for my needs.  The 5.56 small kit looks better, although still heavy.  Have a 5 inch WTT kit I'm waiting on a stamp for.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Is a single clip or 2 opposing clips preferable?

Edit: 5.56 can 11.5 - 16 in. barrel and .30 can on 8 in. .300 blackout.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What host and ammo?

Try rotating the vents on the k baffle so they all don't line up.  Kind of hard to explain but the vent that exhausts into the sidewall of the can.
View Quote

Ruger Mk4, mixed ammo but in a pistol it’s all subsonic anyway. I’ve tried lining them all up, offsetting them 90* and 45* and nothing really helps. I mean, it’s a little bit quieter so I guess you could argue it’s doing it’s job…Buts it’s not near as quiet as something purchased from one of the big bois and after sending it off to Ecco I’ll probably have about the same amount of money into it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ruger Mk4, mixed ammo but in a pistol it's all subsonic anyway. I've tried lining them all up, offsetting them 90* and 45* and nothing really helps. I mean, it's a little bit quieter so I guess you could argue it's doing it's jobButs it's not near as quiet as something purchased from one of the big bois and after sending it off to Ecco I'll probably have about the same amount of money into it.
View Quote
Strange that you are experiencing that.  Mine rides on a Mk4 as well and does a good job on supers and subs.  If you aren't happy with it I can't recommend Nick at Ecco enough.  He recored a .30 cal can for me that is fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is a single clip or 2 opposing clips preferable?

Edit: 5.56 can 11.5 - 16 in. barrel and .30 can on 8 in. .300 blackout.
View Quote

Based on what Silencer Student says double clip offers no appreciable difference, single then make all the clips lined up in the can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Strange that you are experiencing that.  Mine rides on a Mk4 as well and does a good job on supers and subs.  If you aren't happy with it I can't recommend Nick at Ecco enough.  He recored a .30 cal can for me that is fantastic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruger Mk4, mixed ammo but in a pistol it's all subsonic anyway. I've tried lining them all up, offsetting them 90* and 45* and nothing really helps. I mean, it's a little bit quieter so I guess you could argue it's doing it's jobButs it's not near as quiet as something purchased from one of the big bois and after sending it off to Ecco I'll probably have about the same amount of money into it.

I was #49 on the callback list as of 09/01. Call can’t come quick enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Based on what Silencer Student says double clip offers no appreciable difference, single then make all the clips lined up in the can.
View Quote
Good to know. I haven't checked the thread in a while and decided to go single and could always go double in the future if necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top