Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 5:43:25 AM EDT
I had a STG 58 about 15 years ago, I bought it new from a local gun shop for $875, I think....I sold it, wish I had kept it.

IIRC, I was told it was a Styer (does that make sense) lower???? And had some compoents installed by DSA????  Anyway, I am very ignorent on the DSA/FAL line up....

But my question is, if I wanted to get another rifle like I had with the STG58, which one in the DSA line up is the closest?   Mine had the bipod and Belgium carry handle.  It was not accurate, but it was a heavy, well made rifle that I am sure will last a ling time.  I had metric mags for it...

Thanks for any help....I assume FAL mags are still easy to find these days....I remember buying them for $5 each
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Mags are no longer either $5 or as readily available as they once were.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The closest in DSArms lineup?  Probably this one, but there are details on it that aren't quite right.

However, for $1800, you're around the price point of what really nice matching number STG 58 kit rifles with quality forged uppers are selling for (it's probably closer to $2000).  If you want the classic FAL / STG58 look, that's what I'd do instead.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes your kit was a Styer probably on an Imbel Rec. and mags are around $20 a pop now. Ive heard bad things about the DSA mags stick with the originals.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]
DS Arms made a STG58 with their DS prefix forged receiver. Some where made with parts kits some where made with partial kits and non serialized Steyr replacement parts they received with the plans and machinery from Steyr. Plus US made parts for the count

These will have an A, B or C added after the serial number indicating it was assembeled by them. The A was a 21 inch barrel B I think was 18 and C was 16. I beleive they all used Stey barrels on all, but not sure. Most if not all had a fake flash hider resembeling the STOLL that was originaly on the STG58. A lot where replaced after 2004 (maybe a few before also) I dont think they assembeled any after 2004 at the factory.

They later made a STG58 marked receiver and built a few rifles. They also made a G1 and now there making the FN HB model

People also assembeld Stg58 kits on there SA58, Stg58 marked receivers plus Imbels and other makers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
good mags are 25 minimum
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
To clarify, I am not an expert by no stretch, but when I was looking and found my STG58, I was told DSA was the gold standard other than the original FN FAL.  One of my coworkers had an original FN FAL and let me just say it this way, the safety selector was very unique...this rifle shot very well, that is what got me started to look for a FAL.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there any other FAL rifle offerings on the current market other than DS ARMS ? I know Enterprise Arms in CA used to offer some but they had a spotty QC track record .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/fal21trad-1-of-11-jpg.jpg
View Quote

My understanding is that DSA is the last man standing

Enterprise got shut down in 2015.
Coonan went out of business a few years ago.
Imbel stopped making them (though getting anything imported now would be difficult even if they were active)

Sure would be interesting for a new player to get involved... huh Atlantic. Nudge nudge, wink wink
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd keep an eye out for a used DSA.  Ban-era DSA rifles have forged receivers and can be picked up at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
good mags are 25 minimum
View Quote

If you are impatient and don't care to shop around, sure.  I've never paid $20 or more for 20-rounders, and it hasn't been that long since I last got some.  The only mags that cost me a good bit were factory 10-rounders that I got from Belgium.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you are impatient and don't care to shop around, sure.  I've never paid $20 or more for 20-rounders, and it hasn't been that long since I last got some.  The only mags that cost me a good bit were factory 10-rounders that I got from Belgium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good mags are 25 minimum

Sarco has them for $20 right now, but they are beat to hell. I bought 5 and am contacting them to see what they will do for me about two of them - the followers are badly bent up (entire 'nose' of the follower bent 90 degrees). The other three are fugly, but functional (most of the finish gone and significant cosmetic rust).
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sarco has them for $20 right now, but they are beat to hell. I bought 5 and am contacting them to see what they will do for me about two of them - the followers are badly bent up (entire 'nose' of the follower bent 90 degrees). The other three are fugly, but functional (most of the finish gone and significant cosmetic rust).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
good mags are 25 minimum

I've bought most of mine in the FAL Files Marketplace.  I even got 9 alloy mags for $17 and change each after shipping, no damage or functional issues with any of them.  For ones with rough exteriors (need some rust removal, minor dents, etc.) but completely serviceable, I've gotten them as low as $8 each, shipped.  If you look there frequently enough, are patient, and can jump on good deals when they pop up, you can save a lot of money on mags.  It is tougher to find good deals now, but they still pop up from time to time.

Come to think of it, I did pay some decent coin for the 30-rounder South African-made (Rhodie/Zim surplus) mags SARCO has from time to time.  Those cost even more than the 10-rounders.

I'm pretty much good on steel mags at this point unless I end up with at least a few more FALs or I need a particular type for a unique parts kit build, although if I find some for an awesome price I'd probably still snag them.  I'm pretty much just looking for alloy mags in any capacity, and steel mags in other capacities besides 20-rounders, at this point.

Commonwealth mags, for which I have no need, do seem to cost more no matter what compared to standard mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, go over to the Rifle section of the EE.  1st entry is what you seek.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top