Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2024 3:13:46 PM EDT
I just f]got my SOT2 and I am a 07 FFL and looking at building a DIAS for some RD. I have tried to find out exactly what type of lower i need to mill out to support the DIAS. I know its a low shelf but what are those dimensions, I am assuming the pocket is a AR-15 and not M16. Also, I am assuming I need the M16 trigger and safety for a FA FCG correct?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use a M16 FCG. I like Geissele SSF.

It is much easier and cheaper to make your own M16 by drilling one hole and adding a sear. There are jigs to help align but you have to send them your FFL before they sell those to you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryo:
You can use a M16 FCG. I like Geissele SSF.

It is much easier and cheaper to make your own M16 by drilling one hole and adding a sear. There are jigs to help align but you have to send them your FFL before they sell those to you.
View Quote

I agree it seems like a RR would be easier to make.

If you do go the DIAS route is there a legal issue when you remove the DIAS? Cant the semi auto host still function as a MG? It would have a M16 BCG, trigger and selector. If you flip the selector to full auto there won’t be a sear to hold/release the hammer, which means you could get hammer follow. I’m not saying it’s safe but it could in theory shoot full auto.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you really need a DIAS specifically for testing, it is much easier to buy some Anderson FA pocket lowers and just drill a hole. Heck, you don't even have to do any engraving anymore.

KAK has the best deals I've seen on standard M16 LPKs. Get a dealer account set up with them. I also bought some from midsouth before I saw KAK offered them for cheaper.

Cryostructure offers a great drilling jig for a good price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#4]
No engraving? You are still required to engrave it with your info, including a serial #.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGT-Fish] [#5]
Originally Posted By Ryo:
No engraving? You are still required to engrave it with your info, including a serial #.
View Quote

No, you aren't. Manufacturers are now exempt from having to mark existing firearms that have never been in an individuals possession.  And you could definitely use the existing serial number even before they made the exemption.

I can buy an Anderson m16 cut lower from anderson, drill the sear hole, and file a form 2 without having to do any engraving.

Edit to add:
https://regulations.atf.gov/478-92/2023-01001#478-92-a-4-iii
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm an FFL/SOT also and have both post receivers and DIAS.
I have an MGI lower that is a postie that I use the most with all the different magwells.

I don't have a magwell for the small frame Glock lower for the CMMG RDB system so a DIAS makes sense so I can sell the lower later if I want to or get around to making a small frame MGI Glock lower.
Same goes for other special lowers like Scorpion magwells or DPMS GII etc..  Would rather use a DIAS so I can sell the unmodified receiver later
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
I have an MGI lower that is a postie that I use the most with all the different magwells.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/magwells-1024x768.jpg

I don't have a magwell for the small frame Glock lower for the CMMG RDB system so a DIAS makes sense so I can sell the lower later if I want to or get around to making a small frame MGI Glock lower.
Same goes for other special lowers like Scorpion magwells or DPMS GII etc..  Would rather use a DIAS so I can sell the unmodified receiver later
View Quote

Makes sense for those specific circumstances.  I have one as well just in case I need it for something like that, and have other DIAS or packs I've made for different posties.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By truckeic:
I just f]got my SOT2 and I am a 07 FFL and looking at building a DIAS for some RD. I have tried to find out exactly what type of lower i need to mill out to support the DIAS. I know its a low shelf but what are those dimensions, I am assuming the pocket is a AR-15 and not M16. Also, I am assuming I need the M16 trigger and safety for a FA FCG correct?
View Quote

I use an unmodified Aero lower with my DIAS, fits beautifully, you could bed the DIAS with some epoxy if you wanted for a really snug fit.

Add a FA selector, hammer, trigger & disconnector plus a FA carrier and you're done.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/magwells-1024x768.jpg

View Quote

It is your choice, but there has been a change in thought. It used to be that if a manufacturer gave up their SOT, they could only sell their Post Samples with a demo letter from the buyer. If no letter, the Post Sample receiver would need to be destroyed. Now, if a SOT gives up their SOT, they can sell their Post Samples to a SOT without a demonstration letter. This has given additional market value to Post Sample machineguns being sold by SOT holders giving up their tax status.

OP, if you prefer a DIAS, go for it. But whatever you decide, Post Sample machineguns have more market value than the parts set. Good luck with the project.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Unless you really need a DIAS specifically for testing, it is much easier to buy some Anderson FA pocket lowers and just drill a hole. Heck, you don't even have to do any engraving anymore.
View Quote

This.

But if OP needs a DIAS lower, he needs an Colt/SP1 shelf lower.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
It used to be that if a manufacturer gave up their SOT, they could only sell their Post Samples with a demo letter from the buyer. If no letter, the Post Sample receiver would need to be destroyed. Now, if a SOT gives up their SOT, they can sell their Post Samples to a SOT without a demonstration letter.
View Quote

It has always been that way. Just was not well known. Scored a lot of posties before it became well known and prices skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

It has always been that way. Just was not well known. Scored a lot of posties before it became well known and prices skyrocketed.
View Quote

Yep. Always been that way. It just wasn't exploited the way it is now
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

Yep. Always been that way. It just wasn't exploited the way it is now

Thank you for the history lesson guys.

Scott
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top