Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 12:51:32 AM EDT
I've got several boresnakes that I keep in a ziplock bag.  I use them for quick cleanings and put Hoppes No 9 on them when I run them through the barrels and then put them back in the ziplock bag.

Well, like a lot of people, I haven't done nearly as much shooting the past 12 months and so the boresnake bag has sat for quite a while.  Today, after getting back from the range, I went to do a quick barrel clean with them and noticed a lot of green corrosion (?) on the brass end of the boresnakes.  It cleaned off fairly easily, but it had me a bit concerned.  Is that some sort of chemical reaction of the gunpowder and Hoppes No 9 along with the brass?  Something else?  Is that normal for leaving them like that for a few months?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Also why you shouldn't use Hoppe's No 9 on anything with a nickel finish, including GLOCK small parts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I find this interesting.  

Generally, I only use Hoppes No 9 on bore cleaning and then use standard Break Free CLP on everything else.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
#9 is formulated to gently help dissolve and remove copper/brass jacket fouling. So, it should not be a surprise that it can be detrimental to bore brushes as well (it is). Brushes don’t last forever.

ETA- Personally, I use a mil-spec CLP with my bore snakes. Also, a bore snake is good for quick field maintenance but not really a substitute for a proper brush and patches cleaning, IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top