Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2023 10:40:08 AM EDT
Did ruger ever make this model in blued steel with a wood stock?
All I can find are stainless with plastic stocks.

I have a 77/44, blued with a walnut stock. Very nice looking gun and I love it.
I kinda want it's little brother, but I would want it to match.  (blue/walnut)
However all I can find is stainless with plastic stocks. I am starting to think they never offered them in blued steel with a wood stock.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like this question has been asked a few times over the years on various forums. I think the consensus is that all the 77/357 guns were stainless/synthetic, but the 77/44 Walnut stock would fit the 357 so you could at least make a stainless/walnut version. The Ruger part # is j20438. It might still available, look HERE

I got one of the 77/44 guns years ago (blue/walnut) and have taken a few deer and knocked over several steel targets. Its amazing how tame the .44 Magnum feels in a long gun vs. a handgun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Shame they never offered a blued version.
Not sure if I even want to bother trying to find one then. I am just not a fan of stainless bolt action rifles weather they have wood or synthetic stocks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
They did sell a blued version but it was in the black plastic stock.  I looked for one for years, because I don’t like the stainless either, but they always sold for stupid money.  One post I read said they were a Davidsons exclusive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.
If it was blued, I would not care about the plastic stock as that can be replaced easy.
However sounds like it is a unicorn if it was a exclusive. So therefore will be way out of my price range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SNAFU-M1A:
They did sell a blued version but it was in the black plastic stock.  I looked for one for years, because I don’t like the stainless either, but they always sold for stupid money.  One post I read said they were a Davidsons exclusive.
View Quote

You are correct! I've found a handful of forums mentioning that blue version. Here is one
And here's a picture

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder why they never made many in blued?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
Shame they never offered a blued version.
Not sure if I even want to bother trying to find one then. I am just not a fan of stainless bolt action rifles weather they have wood or synthetic stocks.
View Quote
Buy a SS, get a nitride or DLC coating and a walnut stock, get the best of all worlds?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Buy a SS, get a nitride or DLC coating and a walnut stock, get the best of all worlds?
View Quote

I suppose that could be done, but the price would make it more than I would want to spend. Plus I have a few nitrided barrels and they are not quite a perfect match to bluing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
They did one, but I can't remember the model number on it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I never understood why ruger loves to put a stainless bolt handle and shroud into a blued receiver. Looks so goofy/out of place. It makes the gun look like someone replaced the bolt assembly with the wrong one.
I have noticed this on a lot of the 77 series guns (77/44 and 77/22).
Lucky all my 77/22's and my 77/44 have blued bolt handles.

But I would still prefer that over the stainless receiver/barrel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
I never understood why ruger loves to put a stainless bolt handle and shroud into a blued receiver. Looks so goofy/out of place. It makes the gun look like someone replaced the bolt assembly with the wrong one.
I have noticed this on a lot of the 77 series guns (77/44 and 77/22).
Lucky all my 77/22's and my 77/44 have blued bolt handles.

But I would still prefer that over the stainless receiver/barrel.
View Quote

I can’t remember the color, but there is a cerakote that is pretty close to a blued steel. When I get my 77/357 I’m debating that or tungsten.
Top Top