Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2018 6:29:53 PM EDT
This may be a stupid question.

I have a Generation 1 Sig 716 Patrol.

I like it and it has been reliable and accurate but it is heavy.

I was thinking about getting a lighter weigh .308 upper.

I know there are several propriety parts to the 716.  I was just wondering if the lower would fit unto any standard AR-10 upper.

I suspect it would but not having another upper to try it on I don't know for sure.

Anybody know?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No such thing as a standard ar-10 upper. They do not have a standard like the ar-15.

Older DPMS pattern is a maybe and this is the most common on the commercial market. So there is hope.

Just from looking at the rear of the receiver, SR25 and the Armalite pattern is out. DPMS Gen II is obviously not gonna work. A bunch of the other more unique patterns are also out including colt, savage, POF Revolution and HK.

Honestly in this instance I would spring for a second gun or built a second lower receiver that is known to be compatible with the upper of your choosing.

tl:dr old DPMS pattern is a maybe, everything else is no go.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No such thing as a standard ar-10 upper. They do not have a standard like the ar-15.

Older DPMS pattern is a maybe and this is the most common on the commercial market. So there is hope.

Just from looking at the rear of the receiver, SR25 and the Armalite pattern is out. DPMS Gen II is obviously not gonna work. A bunch of the other more unique patterns are also out including colt, savage, POF Revolution and HK.

Honestly in this instance I would spring for a second gun or built a second lower receiver that is known to be compatible with the upper of your choosing.

tl:dr old DPMS pattern is a maybe, everything else is no go.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of dozen .223 ARs but this is the only AR-10 that I have so I am not familiar with the various configurations.

I was considering just replacing the barrel but it being a piston operation that will never work.

I think you are right about just getting another AR-10.

Except for the weight there is really nothing really wrong with the Sig.  Maybe I should look into fluting the barrel to reduce a little bit of the weight.  Or just forget about doing anything.

I am surprise to hear that AR-10 uppers are not somewhat standard.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Lancer systems sells a carbon fiber handguard for the 716. Not sure how much lighter it is, but it’s gotta be lighter than the thick quad rail that yours probably has. Not much can be done about that heavy gas block though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a stupid question as I have thought about the same thing. As for Lancer I believe it is the only game in town as far as after market handguards for the 716. You would think by now there would be more available choices overall for that gun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This may be a stupid question.

I have a Generation 1 Sig 716 Patrol.

I like it and it has been reliable and accurate but it is heavy.

I was thinking about getting a lighter weigh .308 upper.

I know there are several propriety parts to the 716.  I was just wondering if the lower would fit unto any standard AR-10 upper.

I suspect it would but not having another upper to try it on I don't know for sure.

Anybody know?
View Quote
I also have a Gen 1 Sig 716 Patrol, not an EDC gun! I really like it, accurate, reliable, built like an anvil. I would just bipod it and run it. Also, if you ever have FTE problems, get the updated dual ejector bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top