Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 9:02:43 PM EDT
I am getting up to a half grain difference with my RCBS uniflow. Is this common?

Powder: RL15
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No normal in my experience. I can keep throws within ~.1g with

ball and or flake powder. Extruded powder like IMR 4064, Varget etc.

are less consistant but still within ~.2g.

Inconsistant throws can also be due to technique.

RCBS uni flow accuracy test

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ball powder, bang once up, once down. Extruded, bang twice up, once down, absolutely the same every time. And even then I will end up cutting a rod here and there - it happens, and velocities aren't very different.
Flake powders I don't mess with - 700X was such a huge PITA to meter that I gave up on any more flake powders.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I would take the drum apart and make sure everything is dry and wiped clean as well inside the hopper.  You may have some static build up or dirt in the cylinder giving you inconsistent throws.  For the record, with RL15 my Uniflow throws consistently around .1gr.

Another thought is your technique.  I find that on the up stroke I quick double tap the handle and that gives me more consistent throws.  No matter what you do with the handle you have to be the same every time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would take the drum apart and make sure everything is dry and wiped clean as well inside the hopper.  You may have some static build up or dirt in the cylinder giving you inconsistent throws.  For the record, with RL15 my Uniflow throws consistently around .1gr.

Another thought is your technique.  I find that on the up stroke I quick double tap the handle and that gives me more consistent throws.  No matter what you do with the handle you have to be the same every time.
View Quote
This ^^^^  It has to be done every few years depending on how much you use it.

kwg
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The secret of using a powder measure is to settle the powder, and resettle after adjustments.

Which I explained in this post, https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Powder-Measure-Tip/42-479795/#i4815819

The thread my post above is in has other good PM info in it.

Then a thread I did about tuning a Uniflo, https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Tuning-a-Uniflow-powder-measure/42-380281/
View Quote
It's important to point out that most rotor-type powder measures are (usually minor) variations on the Uniflow.  The Hornady Lock n Load, Lyman Brass Smith, Redding 3 and 3BR, Frankford Arsenal Platinum, and others are all similar enough to use dryflash3's tuning instructions effectively.

Basically, if it looks like a Unflow, you can tune it like a Uniflow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am getting up to a half grain difference with my RCBS uniflow. Is this common?

Powder: RL15
View Quote
That seems bad.  RL15 is about the same grain length as RL10x, right?  I get roughly 0.1, occasional 0.2 with RL10x.

Take your powder measure apart, clean and degrease everything, inside and out.  Dry it off thoroughly.   Then stuff the hopper full of used dryer sheets, and let it sit overnight.   Then, run a pound of powder through it a few times.  If you're in a rust-prone area, you can coat the metal parts with wax, but it needs to be a hard, non-sticky wax so powder will flow freely.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Already a lot of good info on prepping and technique with Uniflow style powder measures.  Your variance does seem too large and probably would be addressed by methods mentioned.

I'll mention what I do.  I don't usually use my Uniflow for extruded powders like R15.  I was shocked to find the Lee Auto Drum to meter extruded powders more precisely.

I mainly use my Uniflow for ball and similar powders for which it is extremely precise...H110, etc.

I still polished and smoothed out the Lee unit and those cheap looking plastic drums.  They look downright cheesy, but they work.

Some units are probably just better at one style powder or another.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm getting about .2gr with RL-15 but I'm using the small drum. I in fact use the small drum for anything it's capable of charging.

I've even seen where people are using the small drum for higher capacity casings and setting it up to throw half of the charge and stroking it twice.

Of course this isn't necessary with ball powder. It's consistent all the time with either drum unless you are trying to throw very small charges with the large drum.

dryflash3 and some others on here have a good "tuning" method for those types of dispensers. If one of them hasn't described it on this thread maybe they will.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok. I put in a homemade baffle and I paid extra attention to being consistent. I am staying mostly within .1 grain with the occasional .2 grain.

I am cycling the meter with a firm bump at both the upstroke and the down stroke while trying to keep my cadence as consistent as I can.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
One question that I haven't seen asked, or answered, what size drum are you using?

The Uniflow has 2, a large (11/16") and small (1/2").

The small is much more accurate, with less surface area at the opening.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm getting about .2gr with RL-15 but I'm using the small drum. I in fact use the small drum for anything it's capable of charging.

I've even seen where people are using the small drum for higher capacity casings and setting it up to throw half of the charge and stroking it twice.

Of course this isn't necessary with ball powder. It's consistent all the time with either drum unless you are trying to throw very small charges with the large drum.

dryflash3 and some others on here have a good "tuning" method for those types of dispensers. If one of them hasn't described it on this thread maybe they will.

Motor
View Quote
I too only use the small drum for everything up to .308 and 30.06.  I thought about adding the large drum for rifle but I have not needed anything bigger.  I would think the small drum would be more precise for the same given loads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
When using the smaller measuring cylinder for large charges with this type of measure, you have to also pause a beat at the bottom of the lever's throw so that the powder can fully flow out of the metering cavity.

I think RCBS says the smaller cylinder is good up to 50 grains, but they never say with what powder.  From a tolerance standpoint, I like to stay away from the ends of a measurement range, so I wouldn't use the small rotor for more than about 45 grains of ball powder.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top