Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2023 5:32:42 PM EDT
I recently bought a pistol and rifle from different on-line retailers, to be sent to the same FFL.  I received notification the first had shipped, and when he received it, I picked it up.  At that time I hadn't received notification the other had shipped.  It arrived the following day.  My FFL indicated there was some rule where I could have picked up both at the same time, but now had to wait 5 business days to pick up the 2nd one.

I've never heard of that before, has anyone else?  Is it something unique to Texas?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:36:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#1]
Sounds like a state law. To my knowlege there is no fed law to that but I've been out for a long time. Maybe the dealer could explain it better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
There is nothing legally preventing him from transferring it to you. Sounds to me like he is trying to avoid the multiple sales reporting requirement. Dealers in border states are required to report multiple sales of rifles to a single person in a 5 day period, all dealers across the country are required to report them for handguns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:
I recently bought a pistol and rifle from different on-line retailers, to be sent to the same FFL.  I received notification the first had shipped, and when he received it, I picked it up.  At that time I hadn't received notification the other had shipped.  It arrived the following day.  My FFL indicated there was some rule where I could have picked up both at the same time, but now had to wait 5 business days to pick up the 2nd one.

I've never heard of that before, has anyone else?  Is it something unique to Texas?
View Quote

No. FFL does not know what he is talking about. There is no limit or timespan on how many guns you can buy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
Sounds to me like he is trying to avoid the multiple sales reporting requirement.
View Quote

One is handgun, one is a rifle. No form.

And he said it would have been OK on same day. Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Your FFL is an idiot.
No federal or Texas law limits how many firearms a person can buy at once, in a week/month/year.
There are no waiting periods in federal law or Texas law.
See why he's an idiot?

A dealer who transfers more than one handgun to the same person in a five business day period, must submit a Multiple Sale of Pistols & Revolvers form to ATF and a copy to local CLEO.
Dealers licensed as an 01FFL in the border states (TX, NM,AZ, CA) are also required to submit a Multiple Sale of Certain Rifles form to ATF when they transfer more than one semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a caliber greater than .22 that accepts a detachable magazine, in any five business day period.
The dealer completes and submits those forms, not the customer.

Those two requirements have nothing to do with you or your dealer as it wasn't two handguns or two rifles, but one of each.

You could buy twenty shotguns, six lever action rifles, a Glock, an AR, eighty seven stripped AR lowers and no Multiple Sale form is required.

In both cases the five business day period are the days the dealer is open for business.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 1:18:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cycolac] [#7]
I have no doubt that our ARFCOM brethren are correct.

HOWEVER...many FFL holders seem to have some areas where their interpretation isn't always in agreement with the law/regulations. I have been able to educate some. Others, not so much. I kind of get them doing what they're comfortable with even if it is more restrictive than what the law is - their business, their rules. I have the choice of going elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:
I have no doubt that our ARFCOM brethren are correct.

HOWEVER...many FFL holders seem to have some areas where their interpretation isn't always in agreement with the law/regulations. I have been able to educate some. Others, not so much. I kind of get them doing what they're comfortable with even if it is more restrictive than what the law is - their business, their rules. I have the choice of going elsewhere.
View Quote

I totally agree with Freedom to choose "My business - My rules".  I also tend to walk away from businesses with that type of attitude.  I asked him to provide a link of the law/ATF rule that requires the wait.  Perhaps he'll figure it out, or prove it to me, perhaps not.  If he doesn't prove the law/rule exists, or realize he made a mistake, I simply won't do business with him again.  He's a retired home based FFL, and a friendly guy, so I won't disparage him on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]

I totally agree with Freedom to choose "My business - My rules".  I also tend to walk away from businesses with that type of attitude.  I asked him to provide a link of the law/ATF rule that requires the wait.  Perhaps he'll figure it out, or prove it to me, perhaps not.  If he doesn't prove the law/rule exists, or realize he made a mistake, I simply won't do business with him again.  He's a retired home based FFL, and a friendly guy, so I won't disparage him on the internet.
View Quote

Capitalism, fortunately you can take your business elsewhere. FFL search engines might show a surprising number nearby or on your work commute.

Doesn't apply if you're a DC resident or out in the deep boonies
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
He's avoiding the multiple sale reporting and telling you something else, imo
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CuldesacWarlord:
View Quote

That doesn't make sense if he said OP could have picked up both at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

That doesn't make sense if he said OP could have picked up both at the same time.
View Quote

We got it sorted out.  He let an auditor confuse him a while back, and just never questioned it.  I gave him some ATF FAQ links on the subject, and he ended up agreeing with me, and completed the transfer.  Thanks everyone, for the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CuldesacWarlord:
View Quote

There is no multiple sale reporting when the buyer picks up a rifle and pistol on the same day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Any reason to avoid a multiple transfer if two pistol shipments show up within that 5 day period? Should I just be patient and wait it out?

Report of multiple
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By erazor55:
Any reason to avoid a multiple transfer if two pistol shipments show up within that 5 day period? Should I just be patient and wait it out?
View Quote

When you get an inspection, If your IOI is any good s/he will spot it They are supposed to look for this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 5:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#16]
Any reason to avoid a multiple transfer if two pistol shipments show up within that 5 day period? Should I just be patient and wait it out?...    
View Quote

Are you an FFL or a customer?

While not illegal, "structuring" your transfers does look suspicious. The IOI will see that in the dealers bound books. I've had questions about customers whose name the IOI remembered from another dealers inspection.

I have customers that are paranoid of "being on a list". And yes, if the dealer completes and submits a Multiple Sale report ATF will keep that info.
Every month I'll email at least a dozen of those reports to ATF. Nothing happens. In the last fifteen years, and a couple of thousand Multiple Sale reports only two customers told me that they had a visit from ATF.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

While not illegal, "structuring" your transfers does look suspicious. The IOI will see that in the dealers bound books. I've had questions about customers whose name the IOI remembered from another dealers inspection.

I have customers that are paranoid of "being on a list". And yes, if the dealer completes and submits a Multiple Sale report ATF will keep that info.
Every month I'll email at least a dozen of those reports to ATF. Nothing happens. In the last fifteen years, and a couple of thousand Multiple Sale reports only two customers told me that they had a visit from ATF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Any reason to avoid a multiple transfer if two pistol shipments show up within that 5 day period? Should I just be patient and wait it out?...    

To your question, I am the customer.  Just wondering if after I’m notified it’s in, if i just wait a week, is that any kind of a problem.  Your answer seems to suggest for me not to worry about it?  Hell, aside from 4473’s we’re probably on all kinds of lists anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]

To your question, I am the customer.  Just wondering if after I’m notified it’s in, if i just wait a week, is that any kind of a problem.  Your answer seems to suggest for me not to worry about it?  Hell, aside from 4473’s we’re probably on all kinds of lists anyway.
View Quote

The timer starts when you 4473 the first handgun, not when dealer notifies you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top