Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2018 3:39:20 PM EDT
I have had a few semi auto 308s. Ptr91, m1a and fal. Ended up selling all of them over the years. I always shot 556 way more. Now I have a few bucks saved and am debating picking up scar or pof revolution or something similar or possible picking up some night vision, specifically pvs14 gen 3

I’d probably shoot the 308 more than use the night vision but I think NV would be pretty cool to have. Plus I could show my kids the NV and I bet they would think it is the coolest thing ever.

Where do you think the money would be better invested?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Robinson XCR-M.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think NV would be better since you can you it anytime with your kids. Just brought mine to work so I can use it later tonight and show some friends that were interestedAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
NV is one of the coolest things ever. You'll want to use it more once you have it. The only operational cost is batteries.
I wouldn't call it an investment though.

The SCAR could appreciate if you find a good price on it. Now is a great time to buy guns.
I'd still probably go for the PVS-14. I bought mine in 2006 and have no regrets. You'll end up with IR lasers/illum to support it. It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Pvs14...

Don't forget the full sl3 kit.

If you want to helmet mount (gun mount is an option!) You will need a laser (IR preferrably).

I've had great success with a PEQ15 and PVS14 out to 400 yards on a man size target. If your laser is actually mounted better than it does on a M4, you should be capable of some great results.

Gun mounting apparently works VERY well when used as intended with an ACOG (tritium reticle).
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
NV is the only superpower you can buy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Night vision is life saving gear, it like not having a TQ, or extra mags.  Night vision is more than just a superpower, it's gods gift to combat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
The truth.., mind blowing
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Night vision is more than just a superpower, it's gods gift to combat.
View Quote
only when your fighting people w/o it

owning nv in America is totally different, it can get you killed if used in the same way as say afg
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
buy the night vision
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

owning nv in America is totally different, it can get you killed if used in the same way as say afg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Night vision is more than just a superpower, it's gods gift to combat.

If you're fighting people with NV then you need it even more.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
no you need better tactics
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
How about a cheaper gen 2 monocular and a PTR 91 or one of the cheaper AR .308. Then you can have a little of both. Hell, you can get a gen 2 monocular, Gen 2 rifle scope and a PTR for the cost of a SCAR.

Gen 2 works well enough that you are world's ahead of somebody who has nothing. With an IR illuminatior, it works very well. since it's mainly a toy that can be used in a SHTF pinch, gen 2 offers a ton of bang for the buck.

I had a NAIT gen 2 mono years ago that I got for under $500. It was a great value for what I spent. I only replaced it when I purchased a PSV-7 that was labelled as a Gen 2 unit. When it arrived, it had a Gen 3 tube in it. So I sold the NAIT to pay for an IR laser. Under a half moon, the performance between gen 2 & 3 isn't huge. It is only when you get into a no moon or deep shadow conditions when you really see the difference. Don't get me wrong, Gen 3 is better. But don't sell a Gen 2 unit short. For $600-800, a Gen 2 monocular is pretty nice compared to a $1700-2500 gen 3 PVS14.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody needs good tactics.

But assuming equal tactical acumen, NV folks fighting those without NV, ...... who wins?

I know what Mr. Spock would say.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everybody needs good tactics.

But assuming equal tactical acumen, NV folks fighting those without NV, ...... who wins?

I know what Mr. Spock would say.
View Quote
It just depends...
Those without NODs may put up some parachute flares and initiate their foo gas barrels to make fire.

The needs of those without NODs may outweigh the needs of the few.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It just depends...
Those without NODs may put up some parachute flares and initiate their foo gas barrels to make fire.

The needs of those without NODs may outweigh the needs of the few.
View Quote
Nice imagination. The ability to see at night allows that individual the choice of dictating the circumstances of engagement.

Enjoy the parachute flare game, I’ll be back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Attackers always have the initiative, but defenders can have a prepared defense (sometimes).

It's just another tool in the toolbox.
I agree it's better to have them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Monocular is good to see what’s out there but you still need to see through the scope to engage. Get a thermal scope. Go check out the NV vs thermal on YouTube. If I find it again, I’ll post it here. Hands down the thermal won.
NV vs Thermal
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Thermal is great for detecting, but that is about it. Thermal is fantastic for hunting and fighting. But for other things, NV offers more flexibility. You can start gaze, ride your mountain bike, hike, navigate, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top