Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I made it a point to test the POI on my XP38  and XP50 (both with DLOC mounts) this last weekend. I tested  on my 22LR target rifle with 1lb trigger pull and lead sled brace system.  Both scopes zero at 75 yards hitting a 1.25” folded sq of tin foil 72 degrees that afternoon. I then shot in temps low as 42 degrees to a high of 74 degrees and had very little if any impact change. When it was 42 degrees I shot a inch high, but left and right POI  was perfect. Most of the time every shot hit the tin foil somewhere and really that’s about as good as I hope for with human error involved.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I made it a point to test the POI on my XP38  and XP50 (both with DLOC mounts) this last weekend. I tested  on my 22LR target rifle with 1lb trigger pull and lead sled brace system.  Both scopes zero at 75 yards hitting a 1.25” folded sq of tin foil 72 degrees that afternoon. I then shot in temps low as 42 degrees to a high of 74 degrees and had very little if any impact change. When it was 42 degrees I shot a inch high, but left and right POI  was perfect. Most of the time every shot hit the tin foil somewhere and really that’s about as good as I hope for with human error involved.
View Quote
Based upon what we're starting to learn about this issue, you may want to rerun your test with a larger caliber firearm.  It seems that there is an issue with the display shifting inside the unit which I'm assuming could occur either due to temperature changes affecting the housing of the scope or recoil.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The best thing the OP did was buy this through TNVC/NGI.  Shit does happen; it's how the companies handle it that makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Based upon what we're starting to learn about this issue, you may want to rerun your test with a larger caliber firearm.  It seems that there is an issue with the display shifting inside the unit which I'm assuming could occur either due to temperature changes affecting the housing of the scope or recoil.  
View Quote
You may very well be right a larger recoil weapon may have a affect. I just wanted to test if the scope would shift with temp and using my target 22 ( the most accurate gun I have). I have seen shift before with temp/humidity  in thermal scopes but nothing crazy huge POI wise I’ve seen. I figure there is a issue with the above XP50 other than just temp POI shift.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I will have to check my xp50 out. My brother keeps complaining that he’s missing coyotes at 100+ yards. He’s blaming it on the short barrel but I’m guessing it could now be this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will have to check my xp50 out. My brother keeps complaining that he’s missing coyotes at 100+ yards. He’s blaming it on the short barrel but I’m guessing it could now be this.
View Quote
Please post back... just so others know, not to dog pile.

John- thanks for the comments. You're the one to blame for this... you thermal pusher you...lol. j/k Yes, time to hunt again for sure.

Diz- I'm sure TNVC/NG won't leave me hanging should a replacement or fix (which has been admitted does not yet exist) does not resolve my issue. Even if I have to get an In-Store credit I MUST have a working thermal. Using a thermal is like trying Crack Cocaine... there is no tying it out just to see...lol. Now... where I will come up with additional funds to make the next level step I don't know. This purchase was my MAX... I don't need my wife up my ass over another 2K + to make the next step.

terry1- I'm using a 6.5 Grendel so far. All my problems were experienced during the same shooting session in low 80's weather as well as mid 60's. It moved around considerably as you can see by the pics during a single session and I think it continued to go higher. I wasn't going to shoot another $26.00 box of ammo just to see what I already figured out.

I'm really hoping something is abnormally wrong with mine, above and beyond what they think "might" be the problem and a replacement gets me back up and running but honestly it does not look good... at least for a short term (a few weeks) fix.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Short term it sucks, long term I’m sure it will get worked out. Anything man made can and will have fails it’s just playing the odds when they make thousands of them. It’s horrible when it’s a $5000 item though feel your pain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure what cal. rifle Bowhntr6pt was using but maybe you could test your scopes on the same cal. Its possible that there's a recoil issue then. I think I read somewhere the scopes are rated for up to .375 cal.?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Help me understand.

Is this caused by internal temperature from the core heating up only?

Or is this external temperature only related?

Is this affecting all XP50's or just certain batches?

I haven't shot mine outside a narrow temp range since I've had it zeroed in.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm really wanting to buy one of these Trails, they have all the features I want, but this problem needs to get figured out first. I called a large distributor (not a NV specific site) last Friday about these and they were out of stock, they have had an order in to Pulsar since Nov 28th. 11 weeks behind seems like a lot, does anyone knowledgeable about the industry know if Pulsar is waiting to figure this problem out before they release more units or what is causing the long back order situation? To be fair, that distributor was OOS on most of the thermal brands they sell.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm really wanting to buy one of these Trails, they have all the features I want, but this problem needs to get figured out first. I called a large distributor (not a NV specific site) last Friday about these and they were out of stock, they have had an order in to Pulsar since Nov 28th. 11 weeks behind seems like a lot, does anyone knowledgeable about the industry know if Pulsar is waiting to figure this problem out before they release more units or what is causing the long back order situation? To be fair, that distributor was OOS on most of the thermal brands they sell.
View Quote
Sellmark who distributes Pulsar gets shipments biweekly. I would assume just like the gun industry bigger businesses get priority.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The market is small in the grand scheme of things .  There was a bunch of folks who realized, at about the same time, that pulsar was the best overall value.  They got bought up. Many put on backorder.  It’s had the snowball effect.  People are now getting on the waiting list, because they don’t want to miss out......... creating a further backorder.

As to the zeroing issue.   The ones I’ve got haven’t had any.  Had a buddy that , after reading the internet, decided that he had a problem.   I used the thing for 2weeks.  Put it in freezer ect.  Never could find an issue.  But it’s not out of realm of possibility that there’s isolated issues out there.   Personally don’t believe anything about thermal expansion.  It would be across the whole line . Do believe that a combo of physics, and other factors are involved
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
So I had temperatures in the low to mid 80s today, which is a good bit warmer than when I zeroed in my pulsar and decided to test mine just to see what I got.

Originally zeroed it in at 50 yards at  55 F and today re-tested at 50 yards fired two shots and looked at the target with my binoculars and thought holy shit 2 1/2 inches high.

Fired a third shot and it was where it was supposed to be.  Dead on.

I checked the DLOC mount and yes it had worked loose from previously being hand tightened.

There were no instructions that came with the mount so I called DLOC and asked them about it. I was told hand tight or 44 inch pounds.

Anyway once I tightened mine down, shots were going where they were supposed to be. And I don't think I have an issue with my scope.

I'll probably just torque wrench mine in place since I don't plan on popping it on and off regularly to use as a scanner anyway.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I had temperatures in the low to mid 80s today, which is a good bit warmer than when I zeroed in my pulsar and decided to test mine just to see what I got.

Originally zeroed it in at 50 yards at  55 F and today re-tested at 50 yards fired two shots and looked at the target with my binoculars and thought holy shit 2 1/2 inches high.

I checked the DLOC mount and yes it had worked loose from previously being hand tightened.

There were no instructions that came with the mount so I called DLOC and asked them about it. I was told hand tight or 44 inch pounds.

Anyway once I tightened mine down, shots were going where they were supposed to be. And I don't think I have an issue with my scope.

I'll probably just torque wrench mine in place since I don't plan on popping it on and off regularly to use as a scanner anyway.
View Quote
That's great news... I hate you...lol...
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
After reading this thread and your response, I am wondering if it is a mount issue with all the scopes. OP, time to test the mount.

ETA: a shifty zero is common with mount issues, I think most of us have seen it before but with certain technologies we tend to trust the mechanical devices at our finger tips and question the internal construction of the newer tech.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I sure hope its something so simple like the mount. I sure want one but I'm holding out till its resolved.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#17]
FYI:

44 inch pounds is not something I can do by hand. I have a fairly strong hand grip.

At the range today I used a box wrench to tighten just beyond hand tight.

When I got home tonight I checked with my "wheeler" torque wrench and watched the nut turn a bit more. Maybe 1/16th turn.

I think if you just check the nut for hand tightness each time you use the weapon you should be fine.

If it matters to anyone? My scope is mounted on a DMPS LR-308 upper receiver rail. I've not used it on anything else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the 44 in lb info.. Never tried, just assumed, that the nut wasn't going to work with a socket, but it does.. and you're right, no way you're torquing to 44 in lb by hand.  I always feel better knowing I'm torquing to the same spec each time vs whatever hand tight is that day.

Quoted:
FYI:

44 inch pounds is not something I can do by hand. I have a fairly strong hand grip.

At the range today I used a box wrench to tighten just beyond hand tight.

When I got home tonight I checked with my "wheeler" torque wrench and watched the nut turn a bit more. Maybe 1/16th turn.

I think if you just check the nut for hand tightness each time you use the weapon you should be fine.

If it matters to anyone? My scope is mounted on a DMPS LR-308 upper receiver rail. I've not used it on anything else.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Man that’s much tighter lock down on the DLOC mount than I’ve ever tried. I have the DLOC mounts on ReapIR, XP38 and XP50. Plus I have three hunting buddies that all have DLOC mounts on their trail scopes. We have always just gave them a good hand tightening without any issues so far that said none of us are shooting a semi-auto 308 just mainly 22LR, 17hmr, 22mag  223, 6.8 and some 300blk. If I go to a bigger cal I’ll be sure to tighten it to 44 then to be safe.

I mounted my XP50 on my 300BLK this morning for a  real quick test between rain showers the temp was 36 degrees (around temp mid 50’s when sight in same range) plus super humidity today it’s been raining for days. Turned scope on let everything sit for 5 minutes then fired 3 shots at 75 yards then another 3 shots at 75 yards from the bench and lead sled. All six shots grouped pretty well and hit the two foil Sq’s I had tape to the target.I can’t see that I have any issues at this time. Was going to shoot another couple groups and rain came back and ran me into the house for now.

One last test I want to try is leaving the scope on maybe 20-30 minutes before shooting to see if that makes any difference. The reason for this is I notice the side of the trail housings can get pretty warm after running longer periods of time not sure if this could affect POI or not. At least for now I can rest  and not worry my brain that I may have some sort of POI issue also with my scope it’s seems to hold POI better than I can shoot in real field conditions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

After reading this thread and your response, I am wondering if it is a mount issue with all the scopes. OP, time to test the mount.
View Quote
Not a mount issue. Too many others have had problems to the point Pulsar has acknowledged there is a problem

If it were a mount issue, I'd not be banging MOA and sub-MOA groups.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn it... I was hoping it was a mount issue... Now I have to wait this mess out or go with another brand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Bowhntr6pt, How long has Pulsar had your scope and have they gave you an estimate on how long its gonna take to repair it? Did they offer to send you a replacement?
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bowhntr6pt, How long has Pulsar had your scope and have they gave you an estimate on how long its gonna take to repair it? Did they offer to send you a replacement?
View Quote
According to the tracking, they received it on Feb 22nd.

All I've really been told is "we're working on a solution" and they have ZERO in stock to send me a replacement at the moment.

I'm just in a holding pattern for now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All I've really been told is "we're working on a solution" and they have ZERO in stock to send me a replacement at the moment.

View Quote
I'm still looking forward to checking this thing out when you get this resolved and hope that it's soon.  In the meantime I hope you are able to join us at the property up north this weekend for some night hunting.  We will have an extra thermal on hand for you to use, the weather is going to be perfect and I know there's plenty of coyotes that need to be addressed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really don't understand why you shipped it back to Pulsar when you knew they (A) didn't have a solution and (B) didn't have a replacement.  Now you have no scope at all, when you could've just kept your unit and endured the minor and temporary annoyance of having to confirm zero before each hunt, which honestly is something a responsible hunter does anyway.

But to each his own.  They will make it right for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Guess I need to really pay attention to mine. I don't "think" it's doing this but I really haven't had much outside temperature variation since I got it. And I've only had it in service for a couple weeks now.

Does this issue only occur after the scope has been on for some great length of time or is it possible that the issue could occur the moment it's first turned on for the day?

I might have missed it above, but is this internal core temperature related, or weather temperature related?

Could you mitigate this by keeping the unit powered off between shots?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really don't understand why you shipped it back to Pulsar when you knew they (A) didn't have a solution and (B) didn't have a replacement.  Now you have no scope at all, when you could've just kept your unit and endured the minor and temporary annoyance of having to confirm zero before each hunt, which honestly is something a responsible hunter does anyway.

But to each his own.  They will make it right for you.
View Quote
I agree. If they didn't think they could fix it or couldn't send me a replacement until they figured it out I probably would have just kept it for a scanner until Pulsar got it figured out. AS far as having to confirm zero before every hunt, I guess that wouldn't be that bad if that was the only problem. It seems that the OP can sight it in and wait a few min. and then shoot again and the poi has changed, then wait a few more min., shoot again and now another poi change. And not just change a little... "5 inches different" @ 100 yards. Any hunter that's responsible aint hunting with that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree. If they didn't think they could fix it or couldn't send me a replacement until they figured it out I probably would have just kept it for a scanner until Pulsar got it figured out. AS far as having to confirm zero before every hunt, I guess that wouldn't be that bad if that was the only problem. It seems that the OP can sight it in and wait a few min. and then shoot again and the poi has changed, then wait a few more min., shoot again and now another poi change. And not just change a little... "5 inches different" @ 100 yards. Any hunter that's responsible aint hunting with that.
View Quote
I don't need or want a 5K scanner.

I won't hunt with it as is... period... I have no idea where the bullet will go.

Whether it be a refund or exchange to try another unit, either way, they will want my unit back before taking action. They get shipments every two weeks so they say.

Seeing as they are not sure what the problem is or what to do about it, just holding on to it hoping for a solution with 5K invested is not an option for me.

I sent it back simply to be in a position to get a refund or replacement ASAP. I'm giving them a little more time to fix this, then I'm moving on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm guessing that when pulsar gets more xp50's in they are gonna ship you a new one. And if so, and if it works as its supposed to,  I may get one myself.

Please post the serial # of your old one. I wanna make damn sure I dont end up with that one LOL.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#31]
UPDATE- called today, he just got finished testing my unit.

My unit is being shipped back to me tomorrow.

All I really got was they froze it, thawed it, etc., etc., etc. He said at one time he detected some movement...

He told me they were uploading new firmware then sending it back.

God I hope this solves my problem. If not, it's going back for a refund.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#32]
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3136821&page=1

Interesting thread on another forum...
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Appreciate you sharing this with us and keeping us updated. I was really close to buying a XP Trail 38 or 50 and glad I didn’t.  I realize shit happens but stuff like this getting to market and not having a recall or even a a fix is unacceptable. I wonder how many out there have not tested theirs sufficiently and just think they missed a shot. Or in the case of my buddy’s boss. Bought two of these to use later on this year and just wanted to make sure he had them for when he needed them.

Surprised not more action being taken here to fix the problem as this is the kind of nonsense that puts a company out of business.  I think an industry response is warranted here too regardless.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I still haven't gotten out to shoot mine(since reading this thread).  I will put it threw it's paces this weekend.  I have a question about sighting these in.  I've tried the hot hand packets approach in the past and not had a great experience.  I seen some foil or something similar is being used, is that the best bet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
UPDATE- called today, he just got finished testing my unit.

My unit is being shipped back to me tomorrow.

All I really got was they froze it, thawed it, etc., etc., etc. He said at one time he detected some movement...

He told me they were uploading new firmware then sending it back.

God I hope this solves my problem. If not, it's going back for a refund.
View Quote
The fact that a replacement wasn't the default response is a little troubling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I still haven't gotten out to shoot mine(since reading this thread).  I will put it threw it's paces this weekend.  I have a question about sighting these in.  I've tried the hot hand packets approach in the past and not had a great experience.  I seen some foil or something similar is being used, is that the best bet?
View Quote
Stop off at Lowe's or Home Depot, get some thin metal of any kind (maybe some of those thin metal No Trespassing signs or something similar), cut into desired size squares... warm them up on your vehicle motor.

Just about anything you can heat up will make a good target.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#37]
While you are at Lowe's check out front in the contractor section. They had toe warmers marked down to one dollar per package the other day when I was in my local store.

They are self adhesive and work great.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
While you are at Lowe's check out front in the contractor section. They had toe warmers marked down to one dollar per package the other day when I was in my local store.

They are self adhesive and work great.
View Quote
Great Idea.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Great Idea.  Thanks.
View Quote
If you go with hand or foot warmers, cut out the desired size square on a piece of cardboard or similar material and put the warmer on the back side of the target over your square cutout.  I used the aluminum foil method this weekend while sighting in a Trijicon unit and it worked fine for me.   Made a 2" x 2" square.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you go with hand or foot warmers, cut out the desired size square on a piece of cardboard or similar material and put the warmer on the back side of the target over your square cutout.  I used the aluminum foil method this weekend while sighting in a Trijicon unit and it worked fine for me.   Made a 2" x 2" square.
View Quote
Your username has inspired me to post this which is totally unrelated to this topic.

I moved mine FLIR PTS233 onto my 9 mm AR and zeroed it in last night. While doing so I made quite a discovery for a new big game hunting opportunity.

I'll not embed video to not hijack this thread anymore than necessary. Big game hunting with the PTS233
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Your username has inspired me to post this which is totally unrelated to this topic.

I moved mine FLIR PTS233 onto my 9 mm AR and zeroed it in last night. While doing so I made quite a discovery for a new big game hunting opportunity.

I'll not embed video to not hijack this thread anymore than necessary. Big game hunting with the PTS233
View Quote
Very cool.  Username was because at the time I joined ARFCOM back in 2000 I had recently purchased a Colt 6450 and I thought it was the coolest of the ONLY TWO ARs I owned.  My how times change.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting the video. Just got my 233 but haven’t mounted it yet. Pretty sure it’s going on my 300BO though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ve watched this flip flop around for awhile as people are floundering for answers.

It is going to take at least six months for this to get repaired, it is not a mount problem.

The thermoresistors in the microbolometer Vanadium Oxide substrate base are constantly changing temperature as they absorb mid-IR radiation.

In order to correct them back to unity the firmware performs a Uniform Numerical Correction (NUC) to bring all the resistors back to their default setting, mapping each one out in the process and checking for defective thermoresistors and correcting them, this resets the entire microbolometer image you view each time a NUC occurs

There is a defective mathematical algorithm in the Pulsar firmware that needs to be corrected to keep the image from shifting every time it performs a NUC, possibly the Read Out IC circuit chip is also chopping the data it collects from the microbolometer that it transfers to the image processing software causing additional problems.

These are firmware problems that require a hardware engineer to correct and for new software to be written and tested to correct it.

Some Russian somewhere will have to devise a new firmware upgrade to correct the inherent miscalculations being performed in the array causing the entire image to shift, this will take some time since the people that do this are in Russia.

Owners of these units will have to wait for a firmware update from Pulsar to correct the shifting array.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I would of thought that all the xp50 models would be having POI issues if it was a firmware problem?
Some owners are reporting no poi issues.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Skypup,

I'm the one that posted the pics.. I appreciate your explanation and not trying to question it... just adding some info from my case to see if it fits in your explanation.

I have my XQ50 trail set to semi-auto calibrate.  I thought this meant that it would only NUC when I pushed the NUC button?  For the test, after using the remote to take the unit out of standby I'd look and see where the crosshairs were, then I'd NUC, then take the pic.  In my case it seemed the image moved between NUC'ings (while the unit was in standby), as I never saw a shift occur between that time of immediately before I NUC'd and right after.

Does it do NUC's I don't know about?  Does my situation still fit your explanation?

Thanks

Quoted:
I’ve watched this flip flop around for awhile as people are floundering for answers.

It is going to take at least six months for this to get repaired, it is not a mount problem.

The thermoresistors in the microbolometer Vanadium Oxide substrate base are constantly changing temperature as they absorb mid-IR radiation.

In order to correct them back to unity the firmware performs a Uniform Numerical Correction (NUC) to bring all the resistors back to their default setting, mapping each one out in the process and checking for defective thermoresistors and correcting them, this resets the entire microbolometer image you view each time a NUC occurs

There is a defective mathematical algorithm in the Pulsar firmware that needs to be corrected to keep the image from shifting every time it performs a NUC, possibly the Read Out IC circuit chip is also chopping the data it collects from the microbolometer that it transfers to the image processing software causing additional problems.

These are firmware problems that require a hardware engineer to correct and for new software to be written and tested to correct it.

Some Russian somewhere will have to devise a new firmware upgrade to correct the inherent miscalculations being performed in the array causing the entire image to shift, this will take some time since the people that do this are in Russia.

Owners of these units will have to wait for a firmware update from Pulsar to correct the shifting array.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would of thought that all the xp50 models would be having POI issues if it was a firmware problem?
Some owners are reporting no poi issues.
View Quote
If they own a xp50 model with the same defective firmware version, they will have the same defective POI issue whether they know it or not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Skypup,

I'm the one that posted the pics.. I appreciate your explanation and not trying to question it... just adding some info from my case to see if it fits in your explanation.

I have my XQ50 trail set to semi-auto calibrate.  I thought this meant that it would only NUC when I pushed the NUC button?  For the test, after using the remote to take the unit out of standby I'd look and see where the crosshairs were, then I'd NUC, then take the pic.  In my case it seemed the image moved between NUC'ings (while the unit was in standby), as I never saw a shift occur between that time of immediately before I NUC'd and right after.

Does it do NUC's I don't know about?  Does my situation still fit your explanation?

Thanks

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Skypup,

Thanks

Quoted:

The reticule is always stationary in the image view presented in the imager viewer, it does not move, when adjusting POI you are moving the screen around a couple of pixels at a time.

The entire image is what is moving due to defective NUC algorithm and/or defective Read Out Only circuit chip information sending the info to the image processor for viewing being chopped off prematurely. This drift naturally occurs in all microbolometers and it is what is corrected among many others things when a NUC is performed. The thermoresistors must be corrected once they drift out of homogeneous uniformity via the NUC mathematical algorithm that is mapping and resetting the pixels back to unity.
A drift or shift of only one pixel or more over time is what is causing the image to move which is what is changing the POI, just like what it does when you manually move the entire image to fit onto the crosshairs when you first target the scope, however, unfortunately the image is continuing to drift after you have set POA-POI due to defective firmware programming.

https://www.mathworks.com/company/user_stories/flir-accelerates-development-of-thermal-imaging-fpga.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If they own a xp50 model with the same defective firmware version, they will have the same defective POI issue whether they know it or not.
View Quote
As a consumer how can I determine which xp50 models have the bad firmware version and which have the good version without purchasing one and hoping for the best?
Shouldn't Pulsar know by now that a certain firmware is defective and exactly which units have that version installed?

I think pulsar should issue a recall on the affected units and also list which units are affected by serial #.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#49]
It sounds to me like he may be indicating that the firmware revision has not yet been created and everyone who has this line of scope has the issue, but some of those users just haven't figured it out yet.

Like me. I am a user who has not been able to duplicate this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Another industry insider is saying the firmware fix is done.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top