Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2020 5:13:15 AM EDT
Any difference between these two models in accuracy?

Is the average $150 price difference just the barrel?

Plan to run it with irons, or maybe a 1-6 scope, price difference doesn’t bother me I just don’t know what difference it makes in accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your opinion of acceptable accuracy?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your opinion of acceptable accuracy?
View Quote
1-2moa in a semi. AR-10 I expect sub MOA but I know a barrel swap isnt cheap on these and free float isn’t an option on these.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1-2moa in a semi. AR-10 I expect sub MOA but I know a barrel swap isnt cheap on these and free float isn't an option on these.
View Quote
They are free float.

My ptr will shoot moa with hand loads. It requires more effort than the AR pattern in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are free float.

My ptr will shoot moa with hand loads. It requires more effort than the AR pattern in my opinion.
View Quote
Doesn't the charging handle tube up front contact the barrel, and in turn the hand guard?

What do they favor for weight? I have a ton of 168 smk and amax on hand, plus a few hundred 178s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doesn't the charging handle tube up front contact the barrel, and in turn the hand guard?

What do they favor for weight? I have a ton of 168 smk and amax on hand, plus a few hundred 178s.
View Quote
There's clearance on the loop of the FSB that encircles the barrel.  The hand guard is hung off the charging handle tube.  There isn't a huge amount of clearance like you will see on other free float designs but it does exist.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Doesn't the charging handle tube up front contact the barrel, and in turn the hand guard? No.

What do they favor for weight? I have a ton of 168 smk and amax on hand, plus a few hundred 178s. I shoot 150 and 165 SST. Have not tried my 178 amax yet because all i had are loaded to 2.870 for bolt gun and will not load in mag.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's clearance on the loop of the FSB that encircles the barrel.  The hand guard is hung off the charging handle tube.  There isn't a huge amount of clearance like you will see on other free float designs but it does exist.
View Quote
Nice, didn't know that.

So no difference in accuracy on a3s and fr other then exterior barrel profile?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice, didn't know that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, didn't know that.

I can't answer your last question but I do have to clarify my earlier statement.  The FSB is rigidly connected to the barrel.  The loop with clearance is around the cocking tube.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't answer your last question but I do have to clarify my earlier statement.  The FSB is rigidly connected to the barrel.  The loop with clearance is around the cocking tube.
View Quote
Thanks for clarifying.

I ordered a PTR 91 FR this morning. Can't wait to try it out. I got bored with my AR10 and sold it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top