Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2023 3:30:36 PM EDT
I have read the proposal rule change and am trying to figure out if this would apply to a person who would have 5 lbs of powder
at their house. They do consider black powder an explosive.

Title:
Annual Reporting of Explosive Materials Storage Facilities to the Local Fire Authority
Action:
Notice of proposed rulemaking
Purpose:
The Department of Justice is proposing to amend Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (‘‘ATF’’) regulations to require that any person who stores explosive materials notify on an annual basis the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such materials are stored. In addition, the proposed rule requires any person who stores explosive materials to notify the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials were stored whenever storage is discontinued. These changes are intended to increase public safety.
Release Date:
08/23/2023
Effective Date:
Comment Period:
08/23/2023 to 11/21/2023
Link to Official Document:
Federal Register / Vol. 88, No. 162 / Wednesday, August 23, 2023 / Proposed Rules
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
And why would you volunteer this information?

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 4:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakesausage] [#2]
Snip
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll dump out 3lbs from my 8lbs of TiteWad I use to reload 12ga. Right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What if the local fire authority doesn't care or want to know about it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
View Quote

I have been told by several top men...top men mind you, that smokeless powder makes excellent fertilizer for a lawn.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
And why would you volunteer this information?

View Quote

Worked out well in the 1770s, didn't it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
View Quote

Smokeless powder isn’t considered an explosive.

True black powder is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Like the poster above me said they do consider black powder a low power explosive. If you buy black powder from a dealer the ATF
do check the dealers books. Guess who's info is in the books with the amount purchased. This new rule they want to pass is geared towards your local fire department.
Believe it or not LA already has that law on the books for more than 5 lbs of black powder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/smokeless-powder-designed-use-small-arms-ammunition-subject-explosives-storage
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:32:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#10]
Originally Posted By romad99:
https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/smokeless-powder-designed-use-small-arms-ammunition-subject-explosives-storage
View Quote

Why are we still at this point being our own worse enemies. At this point, following rules is for suckers. Tell those incompetent jackwads to go FO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top