Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 3:27:14 PM EDT
I've got a PSQ-36 and the left tube will not power up. The thermal works, right tube works great.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a PSQ-36 and the left tube will not power up. The thermal works, right tube works great.

Any ideas?
View Quote
I have some bad news. The NOD has contracted a congenital defect. At the moment, there is no known cure, and it is fatal.

I operate a no-kill shelter for NODs with this condition. It will be taken out at least once a month to a wide open free range area and fed the finest hand made lithium-ion diet with ingredients ethically sourced from local businesses. I will come pick it up no questions asked from wherever you live, so it can enjoy its new life with friends of a similar condition.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have some bad news. The NOD has contracted a congenital defect. At the moment, there is no known cure, and it is fatal.

I operate a no-kill shelter for NODs with this condition. It will be taken out at least once a month to a wide open free range area and fed the finest hand made lithium-ion diet with ingredients ethically sourced from local businesses. I will come pick it up no questions asked from wherever you live, so it can enjoy its new life with friends of a similar condition.
View Quote
I could just poke out my left eye too...
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
PSQ-36? Damn. I guarantee you that next-to-nobody here is going to have the technical know-how to diagnose such a niche product without personally examining it; I'd contact whoever you bought it from – that, or L3-Harris.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Ed Wilcox would be the guy I would contact if I had your problems
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've talked to Ed about the issues I've had with a PSQ-36 as well and he seems to know a lot about the unit. Didn't end up having to send them in so not sure if he can service them.

Also, PM sent OP
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was thinking that also
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same issue with a pair of ANVIS goggles, lost the right tube last spring.

Mr Wilcox was who I turned to and he was a great help, I can not give him enough thanks for what he did to get me back up and running.

Sadly in my case the right tube was improperly wired at the factory (internally) causing the wrong resistance inside of the tube, which killed it. Sadly with the merger of L3/Harris and the split to Elbit I wound up SOL for getting any warranty assistance from Harris. More sad because it was a super tube.

I will also recommend the work that Mr Wilcox preforms, he is top notch in my books.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just another +1 for Ed Wilcox.

The fortunate thing it sounds like about your situation is that you're having trouble with the left, NV-only side, not the more specialized and difficult right side with the thermal channel and components, so there's still potentially some hope that he can get you taken care of--hopefully it's just a loose contact or something that can easily be repaired.

Unless it's stolen property.

Then fuck you.

~Augee
View Quote

Hahaha damn. These actually belong to my boss. He buys expensive shit, sometimes without knowing how it even functions properly

I've cleaned the contacts in the battery pack and tested the pack itself as best as I can. I'm hoping it's a cable issue, but I don't think we're that lucky
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Did he buy that unit on yadkin road? Lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn. I get to play out with some rare stuff but that has me
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PSQ-36s on the commercial market are either gray market units or 1033
View Quote
Damn, I need to check DRMO more often.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Damn, I need to check DRMO more often.
View Quote
You’re never going to find these at DRMO lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You’re never going to find these at DRMO lol.
View Quote
I’ve seen AVS10s and PSQ20s among other high end stuff in the DLA/DRMO RTD system. If they’re being offered for the 1033/LESO program, where else would they show up?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
All kinds of stuff shows up on RTD, but that’s for military and interagency distribution, not for sale to the public. Items from 1033 programs are on loan, not the property of the agency they are issued to. The military still accounts for them, and the procurement offices of the agencies that receive them are well aware that they’re not supposed to be released to the public.

Now, I have done a few years at Bragg- I know how it goes. I have tough boxes of cool guy stuff that was probably written off too, so I get it. But the point is that the OP is probably screwed on any type of repair service because L3 will definitely consider these stolen if they’re owned by a private citizen
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have never seen PSQ36's at the DRMO level.
View Quote
There’s a reason for that.

DRMO (DLA Disposition Services, it hasn’t been called DRMO for about a decade now) items tend to be used well-beyond their intended service life, are obsolete, broken beyond the point of economic repair, or are so excess within the supply system that the military opts to auction them off to the private sector. The latter scenario only applies to items deemed non-sensitive.

PSQ-36s are the cutting edge of night vision equipment available to the US Armed Forces. Highly doubtful they would be available through 1033 programs, let alone DLA RTD auction to civilians
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Just dremel the left pod off and tell everyone you have a psq-20
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They’re not.

I apologize, my initial language may have been somewhat confusing.

I’ve never seen “wide release” FGS made available at auction, but they can be procured through 1033.

Now, as you mentioned, these are usually questionably serviceable items, and usually obsolete/outdated, and often have issues that require cannibalization to produce truly functional equipment—hence why I know for a fact that Ed has experience dealing with the FGS. Our business model is not practical to futz with specialty repairs of 1033 items, but Ed excells at it.

With the FGS, you’re at least two generations behind, with the most well-known upgrade being the FGE.

However—when it comes to 1033 stuff, you’re absolutely correct, it’s not supposed to be sold off, it’s technically on loan and supposed to be accounted for.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Where do you think that some of those handful of AN/AVS-10s “appeared” from? Green tube units, by the way. One thing that often happens is that complete units are cobbled together, written off as “parts,” until a critical mass of cannibalized units has accumulated to build up a functional set, then reassembled and sold off. I don’t know the exact path those AVS-10s took, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was something like that—also could be how and why “someone” overestimated how many units he thought he’d have and oversold them, but that’s neither here nor there.

Those are also available in limited numbers through 1033, @BOONEA ‘s department has several, for example.

~Augee
View Quote
I suppose instead of “available” I should have said “in common use”.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top