Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/22/2004 10:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike103]
Just picked up one of the 2-shot magazine extension tubes for my 1yr. old Remington 870. Only problem is the [new] follower will not push into the Remington mag tube, nor does it look like it will be able to function correctly as there are a pair of detents pushed into the mag tube at 0 and 180. Anyone else have this problem? Any quick fixes, or will the current mag tube have to be reworked/machined for me to be able to carry 2 more shells?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:51:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EPD1102] [#1]
This answer really needs to be tacked at the top because it gets asked every few weeks.

You will need to either drill out the detents and then smooth the holes with a dremel tool so that your follower moves freely through the tube

OR

You can use the dremel to just remove the raised portions of the detent.

There are people that prefer each method.  I have drilled out quite a few on the department and then smoothed out the holes and re-blued everything without any problems.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s what I thought. I took one look at it last night and was like, “damn, I guess this isn’t bolt-on.” I might cut them, but then I’ll need to re-finish the bare metal somehow. I don’t like the prospect of having to re-finish.

I’m most likely going to make a flaring tool here at work and press the detents out. I figure I can make a ring to fit over the mag tube also so I don’t oval out the tube.

Thanks though===== -
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, here is another method.
There are specific tools also available that are made for smoothing out tubes without any grinding or drilling.  Check with someone who repairs musical instruments (brass) locally.  They should either have a hydraulic tool or a set of stainless steel balls made to resize or smooth dents out of horns, saxes etc.  This is a technique that has been used to straighten out many paintball marker barrels also.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
SHIPSNIPE1 -

Luckily Im handy with the dremel and have access to a machine shop - I now have the extension on like a glove.

Either way, i feel bad for the guy who buys this product  - upon closer inspection of the package - i noticed "870" was handwritten on the label with a marker -  as in - this tube will fit the 870, but you will need a gunsmith or specialty tools to install it  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The dimples aren't a problem.  Just drill them out on a drillpress and using a 1/4" bit.  Use the Dremel to cleanup the burrs inside the mag tube.

BHP9
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By swankforce:

Either way, i feel bad for the guy who buys this product  - upon closer inspection of the package - i noticed "870" was handwritten on the label with a marker -  as in - this tube will fit the 870, but you will need a gunsmith or specialty tools to install it  

That tube WILL fit an 870. The problem is with the Express model, not the extension. Non-Express 870's don't have the dimples.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, thats exactly what I did to mine... actually I used an air grinder and a carbide bur, but its the same sort of thing... feeds ten... easily =x
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont suggest the socket idea... mainly because one didnt take it down far enough, and the other got stuck and forced me to buy a whole new shotgun, I was pissed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 7:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dURRTy] [#10]
I just installed a 2 round extention on a new 870   I used a dremel and the small grinder wheel, a small fine sandpaper attachment.  Once it was smoothed out I cleaned it with brake cleaner. and put a tiny spary of primer on it. Once I cleaned it  took away most the paint I put FP10 on the follower and the tube, then I worked the action a few times cleaned and relubed once more.    Very easy the first time.   Works flawlessly
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 5:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Dremel grind bit the dimples down. I had the same issue and it was a great solution.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I used the drill press method, then deburred using Dremel tool.  Finally smoothed everthing with fine grit emory cloth.  I will test function today then re-blue area.  The dimples exist right under the barrel band so I am not to worried about anything getting in the tube.  This may be an issued if the shotgun is used extensively in dusty or wet areas.  However, there are other places for dust and moisture to enter the mechanism.  I dont think structural integrity is affected that much either.  I will post more with a pic after function check today.
Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
grind the dimples down from the inside, it doesnt even make a hole

never a problem on my 10 round tube
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
What did you use to blacken / re-blue the mag tube?  I have heard people use the term "blue" but it appears Birchwood Casey makes bluing and aluminum black.  I guess I coule just check it with a magnet.
Function fired shotgun today with new tube, worked fine.  I even threaded the hole in the end of the tube to use my sling.  Took my 12 year old daughter to range, first time firing a gun.  She shot the Marlin .22 and the High Standard .22 pistol.  She also fired my SA 1911 and loved it.
 Thanks for letting me go on.  What a great day.
R/
Mike
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Spray matt black and that's it. It isn't visible since the barrel loop is around the dimples. Cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:52:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wetterman] [#16]
To remove the dimples from an Express mag tube you need these:
-hammer,
-socket from you socket wrench set thats outside diameter is 7/8",
-some lubricant (CLP or engine oil or anything),
-1/4" punch or bigger

Follow the instructions of your owners manual to remove the barrel and magazine spring:

Lubricate the inside of the tube where the dimples are:

Punch the socket with the hammer carefully into the tube. Note! Don't let it get too deep 'cause it's really hard to get it out of there. Punch it in and takeit out a couple of times and you'll notice after every time it's moving easier. You might have to use pliers to get the socket out the first time.

When you have flattened the dimples as much as you can with the socket,
Leave the socket inside the tube right where the dimples are/were. Take the 1/4"punch and the hammer and tap the sharp edges of the dimples flat.

At the end, take the mag follower and move it back and forward to see there really is nothing on its way.

I recommend to get the old style magazine spring retainer if you don't install extension but it's not necessary.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Just get a sanding drum, and a dremmel. Put it on it's highest rpm, and sand the tits off the trum. It usualy does not even penetrate the outside if you are gentle. Also do a little ata time to avoid heat buildup. and stop when you think you are close to done. you will probably BE done at that point. Then test and enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#18]
If you do like I did you don't have to paint it or anything and you'll get it nice and smooth outside. And.. It's damn easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Dremmel with grinding bit. Paint eposed metal with high heat paint after.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#20]
Drill out the dimples with the smallest feasible bit. Polish off any internal burrs. Dab on some cold blue if you are anal (mine were left in the white, and haven't rusted in 10 years, nor is the bare metal visible). The resultant holes are hidden/protected under the extension threads anyway, and are too small to cause any feeding problem, so long as they are properly deburred.

Anything else is unnecessary hassle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The drilling and painting and bluing is a waste of time. Been there..done that...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I like to use a magazine tube dent remover and a brass punch.  The dent remover is tapered for easy insertion and has enough length to work with.  The brass punch raises the dent without marring the finish.  Brass marks are easily removed.  I use this method at gunshow when I sell a magazine extention and it only takes minutes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#23]
dremel the sucker. I have done five in this manner
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
If I'm not going to operate on my shotgun
and I don't want to spend the $$'s to take it to a 'smith.
Won't a pocket full of shells do the same thing??

The way I see it (may be wrong) It takes two hands to operate an 870 --  functioning the pump or feeding shells into the mag -- the other hand on the trigger shooting down the lawye -- er...  I mean the birds.

I think I'll take '4+1', a pocket full of shells, and a ready pistol in the back pocket as opposed to a modified 870 that is "supposed to function" with a higher cap. mag.  A bird hunt is one thing but when it REALLY matters I'll toss that EMPTY 870 and run w/ my .45...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#25]

That tube WILL fit an 870. The problem is with the Express model, not the extension. Non-Express 870's don't have the dimples.

I just installed a Choate extension on my 870 Magnum SP. Is this shotgun considered part of the Express family? The reason I ask is that my SP had the dimples and I had to dremel them out.
Clint
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Great tips guys... Just used the socket method to flatten the dimples a little bit and finished them off with a Dremmel.  Worked like a charm and I can't wait to post some pictures of my lateset project.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By terrydavis:
I like to use a magazine tube dent remover and a brass punch.  The dent remover is tapered for easy insertion and has enough length to work with.  The brass punch raises the dent without marring the finish.  Brass marks are easily removed.  I use this method at gunshow when I sell a magazine extention and it only takes minutes.

From Brownells.com

MAGAZINE TUBE DENT RAISER - Slides into 12 or 20 gauge magazine tubes to quickly remove dents. Grooved to clear “tabs” on 1100 Special Field & 11-87 with new style magazine spring retainer.

SPECS: 8¾" (22.2cm) long tool. Handle adds 11" (27.9cm). Steel.

080-870-206
12 Gauge Magazine Tube Dent Raiser   $74.97

A little pricey, but if you want "the right tool", here it is.

Link Posted: 7/4/2006 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Tango7:

Originally Posted By terrydavis:

From Brownells.com

MAGAZINE TUBE DENT RAISER - Slides into 12 or 20 gauge magazine tubes to quickly remove dents. Grooved to clear “tabs” on 1100 Special Field & 11-87 with new style magazine spring retainer.
SPECS: 8¾" (22.2cm) long tool. Handle adds 11" (27.9cm). Steel.

080-870-206
12 Gauge Magazine Tube Dent Raiser   $74.97

A little pricey, but if you want "the right tool", here it is.

Does it work for 870's?
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Works for any 12 gauge mag tube.

(sorry about the delay - haven;t been over here in a while)  
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I tried the socket method, and managed to bulge the mag tube.  

After resizing the tube, I used a round file, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#31]
If a topic is tagged for future reference should not at least the posted pictures work?
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:03:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLY] [#32]
If you are reading this thread, you will have seen that magazine tubes have been damaged using the socket method. If the tube is damaged, you can't get a quick fix replacement... So keep that in mind if you've never done it before.

Personally, I feel that the Drill+Dremel method is the easiest, fastest, and has the least possibility of seriously damaging your tube.

The instructions say to use a 3/16" bit, but I think it would be quicker to use a 7/32" because more of the detent would be removed without the need of "dremel, check fit, dremel, check fit, etc."

Now, if you have a dremel, you likely have a sanding drum as well. That would be the best thing to use, but many other bits will make due just fine.

Before you begin, tightly pack a couple paper towels into the tube, just a half inch past the detents. You will need needle nose pliers to remove the towels. The towels are there to prevent steel shavings/dust from going into the tube and causing a malfunction, as well as easier clean up.
...Another tip would be to stuff a second piece under the detents to use as a buffer if you are using a hand drill, so that when you come out the other side you don't mar the finish or break a bit.

After the holes are drilled, use your dremel on a high speed (6) to remove any remaining detent and debur the holes (inside and outside!). Wipe the area clean with a damp rag and check the fit to ensure it will work, otherwise you will find yourself removing the tube again to finish grinding.

All in all, it's a very simple, quick and easy mod to do yourself.

In the end you will have this:

(The lighting affected the colors... The finish matches in person)
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#33]
that is nice...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#34]
What brand extension clamp is that?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody had any problems with the magazine spring plug, I found that the dimples hold it down, into the tube.  I was wondering how, if at all that impacted the new extension.
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 10:10:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bassmaster4000] [#36]
I drilled my dimples out and then touched up the bare metal with some matte black paint and it looks good. I tried the socket but it didnt take the dimples out all the way. So I just drilled them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Pilot drilled with 9/64, Opened up to 3/16 with a Unibit.  Snugged a 17mm snap-on deep well socket down the tube. Cleaned it up with a fine grit dremel drum. Clean the hades out of it, and it's good to GOOOOOO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:
What brand extension clamp is that?

The one that came with the Choate extension tube.

Originally Posted By remfan77:
Anybody had any problems with the magazine spring plug, I found that the dimples hold it down, into the tube.  I was wondering how, if at all that impacted the new extension.

You need to remove the dimples...
After the holes are drilled, use your dremel on a high speed (6) to remove any remaining detent and debur the holes (inside and outside!). Wipe the area clean with a damp rag and check the fit to ensure it will work, otherwise you will find yourself removing the tube again to finish grinding.

Link Posted: 1/25/2007 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
I used a Craftsman socket, sorry, don't remember the size, but it fits perfectly inside the mag tube. Hammered it down the tube and backed it out with a ratchet, and it pretty much flattens the dimple. Then clean up the inside of the tube with a dremel tool and no dimple, and no hole drilled in your mag tube.

What BB said. I have done it to about a dozen 870's in the last 2 years. Alot of the guys in my department come to me for such mods on their shotguns and ARs. I'm no pro mind you but I got myself a nice shop in my garage and I build AR and mods 870s for a hobby.
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#40]
First post on this site and would like to say that the info that I found in this forum was very helpful. I bought a 870 Express last week and used the socket technique with a brass hammer to smooth out the dimples and it work amazingly. Thanks for the help and I will post some of my pics in a few days.
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
does this include 870's with the extension included from factory? my 870 comes with two round extension from rem, just curious. don't think i'll need to go any bigger anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#42]
No, dimples are only on the tube when the weapon did not come with a factory extension. (4 round tube with a mag cap that holds the barrel on)
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes, you will need to order the old style spring retaining clip.  Check out this link, I have the same issue.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=220792

Originally Posted By remfan77:
Link Posted: 6/24/2007 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Why in sam blazes did they ever put the dimples in the 870 to begin with?

Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Sique:
Why in sam blazes did they ever put the dimples in the 870 to begin with?

Makes no sense.

Probably in an attempt to keep it a "sporting" arm...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By 556newman:
If I'm not going to operate on my shotgun
and I don't want to spend the $$'s to take it to a 'smith.
Won't a pocket full of shells do the same thing??

The way I see it (may be wrong) It takes two hands to operate an 870 --  functioning the pump or feeding shells into the mag -- the other hand on the trigger shooting down the lawye -- er...  I mean the birds.

I think I'll take '4+1', a pocket full of shells, and a ready pistol in the back pocket as opposed to a modified 870 that is "supposed to function" with a higher cap. mag.  A bird hunt is one thing but when it REALLY matters I'll toss that EMPTY 870 and run w/ my .45...

The drill press method is easy and works. There is no need to re finish the holes. I have not had a problem yet. Secondly if done right it will work just fine. And shells in the gun are easyier to fire than shells in your pocket. Also use a side saddle for extra ammo. Pocket carry of spare ammo sucks.
Pat
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I tried the socket method and did not make much progress with it. I then tried the drill and dremmel method and it was easy and worked perfectly! Another vote for drill&dremmel.

Dan
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]
JUST DID MINE CRAFTSMAN 17MM SOCKET .  LITTLE OIL . LITTLE MUSCLE . PUT IT TOGATHER WORKS PERFECT.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By AKvsAR:
I tried the socket method, and managed to bulge the mag tube.  

After resizing the tube, I used a round file, and it works fine.

I also bulged the mag tube, especially around the threaded area on the end. How did you resize the tube?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top