Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have a dremel, just a regular power drill will work. Drill out as much as you can, and then turn the bit on an angle like this ---> / and work it up and down. It "cuts" the rest of the dimple off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You must use a socket that barely fits in the tube and remember to use lubricants. If it's a too small the tube might bulge. A little common sense people!
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to use the dremel drill method.  I wanted to go the socket route, but none of mine fit in the tube correctly.  Anyway, it works now and I'm very happy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Took me all of 15 minutes to do the socket method, as described on page 1.

Start with a slightly undersized socket, lots of CLP, and tap it in there.

To get it out, put a long bolt into the mag tube from the breech end and when it sticks through, put a nut and washer on it to lock the bolt in place. Use the bolt to pull it out.

Repeat with a larger socket, I think I ended up with an 11/16, which had the perfect outer diameter.

Flatten it all out with a punch or small hammer while the socket is still in there, pull it out, and voila, you're done.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
good info...I was just wondering this myself
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 2:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbaguns] [#6]
I done the socket method on a dent in a mossberg tube. But I removed the tube first and put a long extension on the socket. Hammered it all the way down the length of the tube, twice. Removed the bent pefectly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
 Just finished the socket method.  used an 11/16 socket.  (note: I have several socket sets... The craftman was extremly tight and almost didn't even fit period, thus opted for one that was a had enough of a gap that slid in but with little to no wiggle room)  hammerd in then had to vice wrench to get it out......for a moment i thought "crap I ruined the gun" but it did eventually come out.  Finished it off with a dremmel by minimal grinding  and polishing on the inside until smooth .  

Note!!!  Its a bit risky because I noticed the tube a bit bulged , not much but enough where the barrel now is tight over that point. Goes on ok but needs a little convincing to come off.

I will follow up with pics when I install the mag extension.  thinking of ordering a 2+ from wilson.  Toping it off with a 18 in rem barrel from cheaper than dirt.

So far im looking at about $165. to convert rem 870 express to a HD shotgun.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 11:46:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bushmaster1] [#8]
i did the socket deal on mine back a few years ago. worked great.

if you are affraid of not getting it out... deffinitly take a bolt and put it through the socket (threaded side up) and put a nut on it so you wont lose it down the tube.

if the socket gets stuck youll have a handle to help pull it out...
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1IV:
Just get a sanding drum, and a dremmel. Put it on it's highest rpm, and sand the tits off the trum. It usualy does not even penetrate the outside if you are gentle. Also do a little ata time to avoid heat buildup. and stop when you think you are close to done. you will probably BE done at that point. Then test and enjoy.

Did this very thing last week.  Works great.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
I used a Craftsman socket, sorry, don't remember the size, but it fits perfectly inside the mag tube. Hammered it down the tube and backed it out with a ratchet, and it pretty much flattens the dimple. Then clean up the inside of the tube with a dremel tool and no dimple, and no hole drilled in your mag tube.

1+

did mine the same way. Worked well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I tried the socket method and now I have a 17MM socket lodged in the end of my tube.  Any ideas before I trash an otherwise perfectly good 870?
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 10:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fordrngr] [#12]
So does anybody know why my 870 HD that came from the factory with the extention tube has dimples on the mag tube?  I'm not going to do anything with them yet as it loads 6 shells in the tube and fires all 6 without a problem.  I was just wondering why they may have done this.  

Thanks in advance.
Bill
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Craftsman 18v cordless drill and Dremel worked perfectly. Now if only the factory Remington parkerized +2 extension and the Express finish matched!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an 870 Express with the dimples.  I wonder, why are the dimples there in the first place?  I ran across a thread in another forum, and here is what someone has to say:

"IF you decide you want to remove the magazine tube extension and return the standard length magazine tube. you are going to need a new (steel) magazine spring retainer, magazine cap nut, detent ball and spring, since the plastic magazine spring retainer also acted as the cap nut detent.

Now for the rest of the story...IF you have one of these 870's with the dimples and you remove them, you will need a detent spring and ball, plus the tools to set the spring and ball into the barrel lug. The reason being is that they will NOT be present and need to be there, why you might ask...well because the detent is what is going to keep your magazine tube extension from unscrewing from the magazine tube. Unless you buy the bracket that clamps it to the barrel, which is another story.
"

Link to other forum

Can someone reword this for me so I can understand what I am giving up by not having the dimples if I remove them, but do not add an extension to my mag tube?  I wanted to go ahead and modify the magazine tube so it's ready to accept the extension once I get one.  However, it seems from this thread that in doing so, I will have other problems.  What is in the extension kit that allows me to go without the dimples?  What keeps the magazine tube from unscrewing on an extended tube?  Also, what sort of problems will I experience with no dimples on a 4 shot mag tube that originally had dimples?
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a dremel with a sanding disk and took bout 20 minutes last night when I got off work. I have an el cheapo dremel from wal-mart which is only bout $25-30, and came with the sanding disk.  I had a strong flash light and sanded down the dimples going slow and not mar up the tube but focused on the dimples,

Sand and check every so often. I also had some very fine sand paper bout 600 grit or so ( really can't remember, just guessing), and finanlly had smoothed dowm the dimples.

I am using scatter gun technologies 1 round extention, and used the mag follower to check smoothness in tube. Just make sure no burs are left in the tube and you should be fine, as well do a function check for feeing of shells and your good to go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Wetterman. I'll be trying your socket technique. Seems easiest and I don't have a dremmel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I did mine a few months ago.  I started with the socket method...I was conservative at first, and worked my way up in sockst size.  At one point, there is nothing more the socket can do...so I bought a 6 piece Stanley pin set from Walmart for $9, and started to bang on the outside of the dimples against the socket inside to flatten them out further.  The final touch was some dremmel grinding internally to make is oh so smooth.  

I thought about blueing it, or using some other for of finish to prevent corrosion, but a gunsmith at a local store told me not to bother with doing anything.

So now, all I need to do is buy a 2 round extension, and I am ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 11-87 with a SS mag tube. Will any of these methods work.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 7:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aippi] [#19]
Go to www.aiptactical.com and put your cursor on "customer service" follow the drop box down to "how to Videos" and watch the video on the Tube Extension Kit" follow that video and all will be fine.  DO NOT use the method of putting a socket in the tube and pounding on it.  This can FUBAR the mag tube and you will have to send it back to the factory as that thing was factory braised by robotic welders and in a jig lined up perfectly.  If you crack that braising by pounding on it then it will never be right again and you will have function issues unless factory repaired.  Yes, there are gun smiths out there that could fix it but I would never try it.   I have sold two new receivers in the past two years to guys who tried the socket thing.  This is why I put the video on my web site.  I am a Factory Certified Law Enforcment Armorer and cerrified on the 870 so this is good advise....... Others gave well meaning advise and you could follow it, be careful and their method work and not damge your weapon.  Want to risk damage to a $230 receiver trying their way?  If you do please remmember my web site as I sell new receivers.

If your weapon came from the factory with a Remington LE 2 shot extension then it does not have detents and you have no issue.  If it had the detents we are talking about it would only take 4 rounds.  If you bought it from some shop that is adding these accessories they may have installed it to a 4+1 HD and did not properly remove the detents.  If that is the case, watch the video and remove the detents properly.  

to the guy with the socket stuck in his mag tube.  Take the stock off, remove the trigger assembly.  take a wooden dow about 3/8 to 1/2" and from the back end of the receiver run it in the mag tube and drive the socket out.  Cehck to make sure you have not damaged the braising on the mag tube where it is mounted in the receiver, if not, Then go to the above web site watch the how to video and remove the detents correctly.

Link Posted: 7/16/2009 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there something wrong with your videos right now aippi?  I went there to watch the video you suggested but I don't see anything to click on to watch a video?  Maybe it's something wrong with my computer or something at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Replacing the tube is a Factory repair as it has to be lined up perfect and braised correctly or you will have feed and function issues.  If it is bent enough to cause a restriction have it replaced.  If the damage is only a matter of appearence and it is functioning fine, I would leave it be........ doing anything else in the way of sizing, beating on it or bending can risk cracking the braising where it is mounted in the recevier, it could be a crack that you may not even see but this will FUBAR the weapon.   A new receiver on the Remington parts list is $ 237.05 for the Express matte finish receiver or $237.05 for the police Parkerized Receiver, so if you have to get a new Reciever get the Police receiver as it is the same price.......or there is an Express Receiver without the detents for $237.05 also.  Yes they all cost the same amount as there is only one 870 and they differ only by finish.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#22]
It'd be nice if more than 1 set of pics in the thread worked.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 1:54:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aippi] [#23]
Yes, my computer guy is moving the how to videos to a u-tube account so they will load quicker.  I can only load 30mb on my web site so I can't show some procedures, just have to talk them through... they will be back in Q-time till he gets them to the other then a link will be there.  Once on the utube site I can re-shoot the videos and cover the entire process.  A cleaning video is coming also.......  I am also going to start keeping all the FUBAR stuff I get in that guys have tried on their own from information they get on some of these web sites.  AR-15.com has the most knowlegable guys of any of the sites so I like this one, but even some stuff here is not good advice.  So putting pictures of  things like receivers with bent mag tubes and cracked braising mounts from guys trying to use dent pullers and sockets may make the point better and save some guys damage to their weapons....
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone that drilled them out have any pics?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]
No pics but How about a video.  www.aiptactical.com and click on "How to videos" then "tube extension kit"
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Just did the dimple removal last week.  Never having done this mod before, I was worried about doing more damage than good, so I dropped the extra $$ and picked up this reamer from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=154173

With a little bit of oil and repeated adjustments to the reamer diameter, it only took about 15-20 minutes to completely remove the dimples.  To me, it seemed like a fail-safe process b/c I could not turn the reamer if it was adjusted even slightly too wide.  If I set it up to give just a little resistance, a few turns removed just enough material to get it spinning freely.  Then it was time to open it up a little bit and do it all again.

Now, can't feel the slightest trace of the dimples from the inside, and the outside of the tube looks exactly the same as it did before.

Not sure what else I'm gonna use the reamer for, but even as a one-time tool, it was a good investment in my mind to make sure it was done right and avoid having to ship the gun back for a replacement tube.

Maybe I'll just have to buy more dimpled 870s so I can justify dropping the coin for the reamer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Found this one while looking for 1911 sights:

http://www.xssights.com/NewProducts/index.html

Second row all the way on the right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 10:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hendricks5150] [#28]

Originally Posted By youngAR:

Found this one while looking for 1911 sights:

http://www.xssights.com/NewProducts/index.html

Second row all the way on the right.

Linky no worky

ETA: Got it...

http://www.xssights.com/NewProducts/

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks everyone for this thread, it's very helpful.

While the XS tool looks to be a very good option, I am cheap and decided to use a socket. Yes, you can damage your shotgun by using this method if you are not careful, but I had no problems. I think the key is to go slowly and avoid using too much force when driving the socket into the magazine tube. Also, be sure that the socket is not angled when you are pushing it down the magazine tube.

I used a Craftsman 17mm, 1/2" drive socket with an extension. Using lots of oil I carefully and slowly drove the socket down the magazine tube. The socket pushed the detents out nicely. I left the socket in and using a small hammer I tapped on the outside of the tube to remove any ridges. The socket was stuck pretty good so I removed the stock and trigger assembly from the receiver and carefully drove the socket back out the end using several 3/8" extensions put together to the appropriate length.

I have both a drill press and Dremel tool, but decided to try the socket method first before I did any drilling or sanding. My 870 came out perfectly and I will be ordering an extension and 18.5" barrel in the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FreeFloater:
I have an 870 Express with the dimples.  I wonder, why are the dimples there in the first place?  I ran across a thread in another forum, and here is what someone has to say:

"IF you decide you want to remove the magazine tube extension and return the standard length magazine tube. you are going to need a new (steel) magazine spring retainer, magazine cap nut, detent ball and spring, since the plastic magazine spring retainer also acted as the cap nut detent.

Now for the rest of the story...IF you have one of these 870's with the dimples and you remove them, you will need a detent spring and ball, plus the tools to set the spring and ball into the barrel lug. The reason being is that they will NOT be present and need to be there, why you might ask...well because the detent is what is going to keep your magazine tube extension from unscrewing from the magazine tube. Unless you buy the bracket that clamps it to the barrel, which is another story.
"

Link to other forum

Can someone reword this for me so I can understand what I am giving up by not having the dimples if I remove them, but do not add an extension to my mag tube?  I wanted to go ahead and modify the magazine tube so it's ready to accept the extension once I get one.  However, it seems from this thread that in doing so, I will have other problems.  What is in the extension kit that allows me to go without the dimples?  What keeps the magazine tube from unscrewing on an extended tube?  Also, what sort of problems will I experience with no dimples on a 4 shot mag tube that originally had dimples?

I don't think this question has been answered yet, so I will try to do so. I believe you can get by without the detent spring and ball if your barrel is not equipped with it by simply putting a little Loctite or similar product on your magazine cap or extension when you install it. Also, you can wrap a rag around your magazine cap or extension so that it does not get damaged and then use a pair of pliers to tighten everything down.

If someone has more first-hand experience with this please jump in.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I just installed the Choate +2 extension on my 11-87. I used the mill to remove the dimples. It worked well.

Now, what if I want to convert it back to regular for bird hunting? I no longer can put the ratcheting mechanism in it. Is hand tight on the OEM tube nut enough? The Choate cam with a clamp that will keep the new one from rotating off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#32]

I just purchased a new 18in 870 express with the two shot factory installed mag extension.  It holds 6+1.  Is this correct? or should it hold 7+1?  

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By revolver145:

I just purchased a new 18in 870 express with the two shot factory installed mag extension.  It holds 6+1.  Is this correct? or should it hold 7+1?  

6+1

4 round standard capacity + 2 rounds via extension

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jestertoo:
I just installed the Choate +2 extension on my 11-87. I used the mill to remove the dimples. It worked well.

Now, what if I want to convert it back to regular for bird hunting? I no longer can put the ratcheting mechanism in it. Is hand tight on the OEM tube nut enough? The Choate cam with a clamp that will keep the new one from rotating off.

You can buy the old style mag spring cap from Remington's website.

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/PartsProductCompact.aspx?catalogid=1&categoryid=3564&productid=3373&topcat=1038
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Go to www.brownells.com and in the search block enter "Wave Washer"  it says for an 1100 but these work for any 11-87 or even 870.  You get three for around $6 and they last a while.  Simple install the forend, then the wave washer and screw you mag cap on.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By grady:
Just did the dimple removal last week.  Never having done this mod before, I was worried about doing more damage than good, so I dropped the extra $$ and picked up this reamer from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=154173

With a little bit of oil and repeated adjustments to the reamer diameter, it only took about 15-20 minutes to completely remove the dimples.  To me, it seemed like a fail-safe process b/c I could not turn the reamer if it was adjusted even slightly too wide.  If I set it up to give just a little resistance, a few turns removed just enough material to get it spinning freely.  Then it was time to open it up a little bit and do it all again.

Now, can't feel the slightest trace of the dimples from the inside, and the outside of the tube looks exactly the same as it did before.

Not sure what else I'm gonna use the reamer for, but even as a one-time tool, it was a good investment in my mind to make sure it was done right and avoid having to ship the gun back for a replacement tube.

Maybe I'll just have to buy more dimpled 870s so I can justify dropping the coin for the reamer.

I just purchased one of these. You should make a how-to video
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a cheap set of files...some flat, some rounded. I filed down the dimples from the inside on my 11/87 and it works fine. While I have the power pools, I'm terrified of taking a powertool to a gun. The files are slower, but the end result is nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By gus:
<table]<tr]<td]
Originally Posted By swankforce:

Either way, i feel bad for the guy who buys this product  - upon closer inspection of the package - i noticed "870" was handwritten on the label with a marker -  as in - this tube will fit the 870, but you will need a gunsmith or specialty tools to install it  

That tube WILL fit an 870. The problem is with the Express model, not the extension. Non-Express 870's don't have the dimples.

My older (late 80s) Express didn't seem to have this problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks! I used this method as I have seen the socket method used, IMOP this is a better way to go and was easy

Originally Posted By aippi:
No pics but How about a video.  www.aiptactical.com and click on "How to videos" then "tube extension kit"

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Wetterman:
Spray matt black and that's it. It isn't visible since the barrel loop is around the dimples. Cheap and easy.

Yep.

I don't think my Express had the dimples. My extension went on without issue. I got mine new int he late '80s, so maybe they were different then.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DonS:
Originally Posted By Wetterman:
Spray matt black and that's it. It isn't visible since the barrel loop is around the dimples. Cheap and easy.

Yep.

I don't think my Express had the dimples. My extension went on without issue. I got mine new int he late '80s, so maybe they were different then.

They were. I have one from the 80's. Not sure when they put the dimples on, but my guess is sometime during the Clinton administration.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I just turned a cold roll bar a hair undersize of the mag tube.. Grease it and carefully use the bar like a dolly doing sheetmetal. 1/2 a dozen raps over each dimpled area and the dimples were gone. Touched up the ID with a brake cylinder hone and perfect.
Took about 15 minutes total.
Not a fan of drillng them out, just leaves another place for debris to enter the tube.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Glad I found this thread yesterday.  I used the grinding attachment on my Dremel (it almost hurts to think that I actually used a Dremel on a gun) and filed off the nipples.  I used a hand file to smooth out the last little bit and it funtioned flawlessly in a controlled environment.  The read test will be in 2 weeks when it makes it's public debut at my local 3 gun match.

Thanks ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone ever had an issue with debris entering the tube when the barrerl is on?  

As far as I can tell the barrel covers the holes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Jester123:
Has anyone ever had an issue with debris entering the tube when the barrerl is on?  

As far as I can tell the barrel covers the holes.

Unless you cut some really big holes the mag tube ring (on the barrel) will cover the formerly dimpled spots.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Just a report on my 870 dimple experience. After having misgivings about the socket method  I decided to drill the dimples out as described in the video @ www.aiptactical.com.  Everything went easy as pie and it turned out great.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HUNTER223] [#47]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't know why but my Wingmaster (Magnum) has the damn dimples too.

I used a dremel sanding wheel in a high speed drill to remove them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Did mine yesterday. Used a dremel with grinding wheel and finished it up with a polishing wheel. Gonna touch it up with some cold blue.
No holes in the mag tube. Took all of 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I just checked out my express and it has no dimples and the old style mag spring retainer.  Also seems to have an alloy trigger group.  How did this happen?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top