Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2022 1:18:55 PM EDT
Have you guys ever ran Magnum primers in a non magnum rifle cartridge? or vise versa? or have you ever ran rifle primers in a pistol caliber? or vise versa?

Obviously with it being a little hard to get primers I was wondering how many people changed things up and what affects did you see if any?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I ran the CCI 34s in an AR308. Ran into pressure a lot earlier than I would have expected. Had trouble figuring out why until it dawned on me that I was using those primers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
All I use are CCI 450 magnum primers in everything.  And now that I have no small pistol primers I am using regular small rifle in 9mm especially for the PCC.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
He's how it works.

Okay combinations (requires reducing powder charge a bit)

Magnum primers in non-magnum cartridges (rifle or handgun)
Rifle primers in handgun cartridges (as long as they function) deleted per rn22723's correction, below

NOT okay combination (primer cup may fail)

Pistol primers in rifle cartridges

You're on your own with this one.

Pistol primers in magnum pistol loads

I've done the latter in 357 but did reduce the powder charge to non-magnum levels.  The problem is likely to be incomplete powder burn and poor performance but it shouldn't fail.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I use are CCI 450 magnum primers in everything.  And now that I have no small pistol primers I am using regular small rifle in 9mm especially for the PCC.
View Quote

So I just started reloading pistol, which I know is the worst time to do. But I have a ton of small and large rifle primers.
I will give it a try and start low on the loads and work my way up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The PCC loves the rifle primers and the glocks will pop a rifle primer with the striker but can't on the thicker cupped magnums.  reg primers and you should be ok.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Works fine. Very handy with some powders that are harder to ignite. In some situations it's been the solution to high ES/SD situations. Drop 1-2 grains charge weight and work back up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PCC loves the rifle primers and the glocks will pop a rifle primer with the striker but can't on the thicker cupped magnums.  reg primers and you should be ok.
View Quote

yeah I'm wanting to reload 9mm for my Ruger PCC, and 45acp for my 1911.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using small rifle primers in 9mm with 100% success in multiple different Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure now a days but back last time around when primers were scarce I went on the EE in hometown and offered my extra large pistol as trade for small pistol.

I a couple of days found a local guy , arraigned a meet and traded one for one . Both guys walked away happy with what we needed.

Yeah , sometimes using primers for stuff they were not designed for can be made to work but try the simple fix (trade) first.

This whole primer shortage thing is getting old , really expected stuff to improve some by now . Yeah I am not expecting to see primers at $28/K but give me a break
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I load 9mm with Rem 6.5 rifle primers. I get slower velocities versus cci 550’s. There’s a video on YouTube where a guy replaces pistol primers with regular rifle primers. There was no notable difference in speed or velocity. I would hesitate to use a magnum rifle primer in pistol though without working up from the min charge with a chrono though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Large Rifle and Pistol Primers are not the same size, the difference is the cup height.
Whereas, Small Rifle and Pistol Primers are identical.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Most reloaders don't even realize pretty much all ball rifle powders call for magnum primers

I have found almost no difference (chronographed) between CCI 400/450 SR loads

I have also used CCI450 in 380/9/40 loads without any velocity difference or so little it does not matter

There is a bigger difference comparing different primer brands of the same size SP/SP with velocity that interchanging SR/SP/SRM/SPM of the same brand

If you are new to reloading I suggest you post here and ask (Specific) advice of experienced loaders before you make a wild guess
As Otto von said "Fools learn from their own mistakes"
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
-Most brands of Small Rifle STANDARD primers are equal to that brand's Small Pistol MAGNUM primers.
Prime example (pun intended) is CCI 400 Small Rifle and CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum.
They are the same, I've used them interchangeably for years with zero difference in performance.
Small Rifle MAGNUM primers are NOT a good substitute for Small Pistol.
SRM will have thicker cups and higher brissance.
Some pistols will not reliably ignite SRM, and loads most definitely need to be reduced and worked up again if your pistol will even ignite SRM primers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top