Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2019 9:32:15 PM EDT
Right now my de-facto home defense gun is my G19 carry gun, in a rapid access safe next to the bed (everything stays locked up all the time unless it's on my person; we have a toddler).  My general-purpose 16" AR in 5.56 is in the safe a few steps away but it's kept unloaded with a mag next to it; it's rather long to use in our fairly small house, especially if I need to run across and grab our son.

I'm considering getting a dedicated home-defense AR pistol and eventually throwing a can on it (also partly just as an excuse to build another AR).  I came about this --> <-- close to a PSA pistol kit in 5.56 but I figured I'd be better off doing more research first.

Then I got to wondering if maybe .300BLK wouldn't be better.  I'm very concerned about overpenetration (through walls etc) but I also don't want to blow everyone's hearing out if I need to use it.  And I think the longest shot I could possibly make inside the house is about 35 feet; upstairs about 20 feet.

So the question is, should I stick to the Glock or go with a dedicated AR-based platform?

If the answer is "stick to a pistol" then I'll still build an AR pistol, but just for range and fun use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I like subguns
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Both. G19 goes with me everywhere. When I get home the AR comes out. Out of reach of my toddler.

When I go to bed wife gets my G19 and I use the AR.

I’ve cleared plenty houses and buildings with a 14.5” gun. I never thought it was to long.

A 10.5” gun with a can is about the same length as a 16” gun. So as far as mobility goes it’s the same. (Obviously has a trade off of taking the edge off of a short gun with a can).

How I personally feel is if I know or think I’m about to get into a fight I’m going to bring a long gun.

If I’m going about my daily business and something happens then I have my pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I should have expected "get both"

Perhaps a more pertinent question... 5.56 or .300BLK for this notional home defense gun?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer a pistol. I have owned two Tavors, an RDB, MCX a couple 14.7” and 14.5” ARs, an sbr Scorpion Evo and an sbr PS90 and I still prefer a pistol for my home defense.  In the middle of the night when you are half asleep the simpler the better.  But at the end of the day it’s whatever let’s you sleep better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifles are much more effective on target, especially loads like the XM68GD and most TSX offerings. I highly recommend a good rifle bullet for home defense. For instance you can get 2400fps from a pistol length setup with the fairly cheap 90gr Gold Dot.
AR 15 Pistol Upper Ballistic Tests: 6.8 SPC vs 300 Blackout vs 7.62x39
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, I should have expected "get both"

Perhaps a more pertinent question... 5.56 or .300BLK for this notional home defense gun?
View Quote
Depends on your chosen barrel length. Over 10 and I would get the 5.56. Under that and I would get the .300 with a TSX bullet. I actually prefer the 6.8 from really short barrels, helps that I bought a bunch of the XM68GD for .40/rd.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like subguns
View Quote
While not "subguns", I've grown very appreciative of the more common "pistols with braces".  When home, normal bedside tools are a pistol, AR, and shotgun.  Having been toying with some recent additions such as the CZ Scorpion, B&TGHM9, and Sig MPX K with braces, I've come to the conclusion the resurgence of the civilian pseudo-subgun, is changing my perception as viable HD tools.  While I like the rifle-caliber pistols, I think they're overkill for HD, unless you have a larger estate and the probability to move outside with much longer ranges.  Given the shorter profile of the pistol-SMGs, they still offer an excellent platform for HD essentials such as a light and possibly an optic.  Most standard magazine capacities range from 20-30 rounds; vastly better than a pistol and much more balanced than pistols with extended magazines.  Providing more points of contact, they offer much better control, faster follow up shots, better accuracy at longer ranges, and a more secure manual of arms.

After putting a Geissele trigger in my MPX, it's vastly superior to any handgun to quickly and accurately put multiple rounds on multiple targets.  I will still have a handgun by the bed and a battle belt to throw on, but when I get home, a couple more classes with my MPX, and it will likely be my primary bedside HD tool.  Obviously, nothing has been suppressed, yet; however, that may change some choices as I have a 300 BO pistol that would make a great HD choice as well and even better if suppressed (better on my ears).

If I need to head outside to check the barn or around the lake, I'll be grabbing my AR pistol or even carbine.  Choices are good and some fill certain niches better than others.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
3 to 10 yards, Pistol with a light on it.  A rifle in tight spaces is awkward.  Think opening doors, manipulating light switches etc.
View Quote
Kick open doors, use flashlight on rifle. You were saying?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
3 to 10 yards, Pistol with a light on it.  A rifle in tight spaces is awkward.  Think opening doors, manipulating light switches etc.
View Quote
My small house, city lots, what goes out my window facing neighbor windows... pistol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#13]
For years I've kept a handgun however about a year ago I changed to a Mossberg Shockwave. Compact, hard hitting and easy to use without over penetration. I still keep my 1911 as backup but not primary.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
maybe a 16+" rifle would be a but a AR pistol/sbr its not.

A SBR allows you to still manipulate everything w/n reach.

OP rifle is always better than a pistol, easier to put on target, easier to stop BGs.

I would go 556, 10" and a can if you want, I would not put loudness above effectiveness when choosing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep a pistol by the bedside, but also have a pistol grip shotgun & sbr within reach. What ever makes you feel comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get a 14.5" P&W to 16" AR.  The short barrel AR trend is hip right now but 14.5" is short enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#17]
8.5" 300BLK with a brace, single pint sling, WML, and 110 gr black tips.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a Sig Rattler with folder or KSG-NR, Glock 17 would be a backup if I needed it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Pistol is an easy choice for me. Small house, lots of tight corners.

Ar pistol for wife unit. She is to be entirely defensive, taking up position opposite the bedroom door.

Once we have kids, pistol will probably go in a bedside safe/box thingy. Ar pistol will likely get retired for traditional pistol as well in box.

I'm trying to convince the wife she needs a 20ga shockwave to mount undee the cabinet above the kitchen sink.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#20]
No kids.  I take a 16" AR for HD.  Rifles are better if you are OK maneuvering them around, which takes some practice.  More ammo in the gun, more accurate shots, faster on target, faster shots.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Smith 642 +P hydrashok and SBS backup.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No kids.  I take a 16" AR for HD.  Rifles are better if you are OK maneuvering them around, which takes some practice.  More ammo in the gun, more accurate shots, faster on target, faster shots.
View Quote
I've tried many times. A 16" (especially with can) is way too long for what I'd need. But ny glock 19... now that's just an elegant extension of my hand.

The AR pistol is meant to be rested on the bed, pointed at the door. Has a TLR4 on laser/light mode. Simply shoulderingbracing or hipfiring and using dot will easily hit to 100yds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#23]
8" 300BO SBR for me with a can coming in. it's actually a smaller package tucked into a shoulder than extending a pistol, and I can tuck the stock into my arm pit and shoot it one handed while carrying a kiddo. I have a 3 year old and a 1 month old now and the long gun makes more sense. I want more rounds, more power, and the ability to bring enough gun to make a big impact in a hurry. It's more stable and could be good for anything between bad guy in the house, coyote in the yard, neighbor down the block popping off rounds my way, etc.

I only want one thing to think about and grab for all situations. I figure a short, handy, lighted SBR (or braced pistol for travel) with a can works for me. I can only see 150 yards at the longest. Also a 2 story house so plan is post up at top of stairs, since the ground and my brick walls will be backstop I'm less worried about over penetration. 300BO because it's more powerful than 556 in short barrels, can because I'm not trying to go deaf.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I have three kids in the house including a toddler. The two older kids know not to touch and have some shooting experience but there is no teaching the toddler yet.  My primary home defense guns, kept in a bedside safe, are a Glock 19 RTF2 and a Glock 19X. Spare magazines are all 19X 19 rounders so they work with either pistol.

If I have advanced warning I have a suppressed 9mm SBR that I would go to. It uses Colt mags, so no interchangeability with the pistols. Eventually I will SBR one of my Glock lowers to solve that issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top