Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 8:05:17 PM EDT
Hey gang, came across this rifle at a LGS the owner (who I know and trust) says this 70's Era slabside has an unknown mfgr. RDIAS. The thing that got me is he said the rifle is registered, I asked again just to clarify and he repeated his answer, but I thought on a rifle like this it was the RDIAS that was registered.
Do I have that wrong?

Also he didn't have a price on the gun, which is awesome shape for its age, but can anyone give me an idea on fair market value?

Thanks y'all!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask to see the paperwork... if it looks like plain RDIAS paperwork, how would anyone (ATF included) know the Rifle is "married" to the RDIAS?

If it is indeed "married", that pretty much negates the added value of an RDIAS or the extra value of an SP1 since they can't be separated... offer Colt M16 money and see if he'll take it.

Then when you register the Form 4, try to register just the RDIAS itself as you would a regular separate RDIAS... if the ATF approves it, sell the SP1 and keep your now massively more valuable RDIAS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the responses so far gents. The following is pretty much a quote from the dealer,
"The gun is a registered receiver gun with a DIAS conversion, which is very rare. The DIAS is not the registered item and can not be removed from the rifle."

Please keep in mind I'm new to this game. I don't fully understand the "married" thing, nor do I get the M16 money reference. Can someone put this in plain English?

Please and thank you!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A married DIAS means that you have a bastard machine gun.

The DIAS may not be used in another M-16/AR-15, thus losing its value.  The SP-1’s upper is not readily interchangeable nor are its fire control parts, thus losing its value.

So you have a the worst possible combination for machinegun less a lightening link married receiver.

Price wise, 1/3 lower that a RR or DIAS.

18Z50….not your attorney, the above information is speculative, buying machining while intoxicated may substantially lower your bank account.  If you have erection lasting more than 1 hour while firing a machinegun, you’ve purchased an MP5.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
A married DIAS means that you have a bastard machine gun.

The DIAS may not be used in another M-16/AR-15, thus losing its value.  The SP-1’s upper is not readily interchangeable nor are its fire control parts, thus losing its value.

So you have a the worst possible combination for machinegun less a lightening link married receiver.

Price wise, 1/3 lower that a RR or DIAS.

18Z50….not your attorney, the above information is speculative, buying machining while intoxicated may substantially lower your bank account.  If you have erection lasting more than 1 hour while firing a machinegun, you’ve purchased an MP5.
View Quote

OK, I'm catching on. Thanks 18B30 for the advice. So should I buy this rifle am I just a simp or total loser?
Also it'd be my first foray into the F/A market so keep in mind I'd be a hero in my own mind.
So any idea on what I should offer!

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 18B30] [#6]
What is the asking price.  If you can steal it for 15k yes, if he wants 27k….No.

Is it the carbine or full size rifle?

Over all condition?

I’d want to test fire it and ensure it works flawlessly.  As your can’t tweak it to much.

18Z50
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:03:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Knowing the dealer he'll probably be asking around 20k+ which I assumed to be fair, As the rifle (carbine) is in excellent shape. But then again I'm new to this game and am relying heavily on strangers opinions on the innernet.

Thanks y'all for the help!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ruckus:
Knowing the dealer he'll probably be asking around 20k+ which I assumed to be fair, As the rifle (carbine) is in excellent shape. But then again I'm new to this game and am relying heavily on strangers opinions on the innernet.

Thanks y'all for the help!
View Quote

I wouldn't touch this with your money....It is a potential nightmare and it's value will plummet if it gets non functional. NOT WORTH IT
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Have it tested to see if it runs.

I wouldn't have an issue with a DIAS receiver. Sucks they registered it that way. If so thing happens to it, it can be repaired.

Personally I'd rather have the 3rd hole but if it runs I wouldn't have an issue with it for the right price.

I think I've seen some SP1 listed at $26k but I have no idea of it sold or if it was a 3rd hole or a DIAS.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#11]
For the reasons listed above (except for the non-standard fire control group, which is untrue), this is basically the least-desirable transferable M16 variant. Unless you can get it for a song, I would pass.

In addition, there has been some discussion stating that these are technically "improper registrations", due to a registered but unmodified receiver, and an unregistered "machine gun" that is the DIAS. Will an "improperly registered" machine gun be subject to forfeiture at some point? Seems risky...

The only upside to these is if they are really cheap. Everything else is a negative. To me, they just aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
For the reasons listed above (except for the non-standard fire control group, which is untrue), this is basically the least-desirable transferable M16 variant. Unless you can get it for a song, I would pass.

In addition, there has been some discussion stating that these are technically "improper registrations", due to a registered but unmodified receiver, and an unregistered "machine gun" that is the DIAS. Will an "improperly registered" machine gun be subject to forfeiture at some point? Seems risky...

The only upside to these is if they are really cheap. Everything else is a negative. To me, they just aren't worth it.
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts on the subject.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
As always great info/advice, I thank you all.

Looks like I'm gonna let this one pass by and keep saving my pennies for true thee hole receiver.

Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I know of that gun.
Also check out the aluminum trip lever.
Pretty well worn out / peened.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Until you see the form 4 you really don't have anything to discuss.

Only after you see how its registered can you understand if it something you want and if the price is right.

I have seen a lot of guys go down rabbit holes so deep they needed road maps to get back because they didn't start with the paperwork.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top