Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 8:30:41 PM EDT
I’ve got a hornady lock and load AP press, does for 9mm, 45acp and 223 Remington, plates for them as well as various other tools. I’ve got a
Bunch of primers and powder and a ton of brass. I’m trying to gauge value of everything and maybe consider selling it. I haven’t gone
Shooting in at least 5 years as other hobbies, time and commitments have come up. I don’t mind keeping it sitting around but I also haven’t reloaded in 10 years. With how often I shoot, it may just be time efficient for me to buy rounds when I need/want too.

If I were to sell, what would this stuff be valued at?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#1]
Originally Posted By cmmgshooter8:
I’ve got a hornady lock and load AP press, does for 9mm, 45acp and 223 Remington, plates for them as well as various other tools. I’ve got a
Bunch of primers and powder and a ton of brass. I’m trying to gauge value of everything and maybe consider selling it. I haven’t gone
Shooting in at least 5 years as other hobbies, time and commitments have come up. I don’t mind keeping it sitting around but I also haven’t reloaded in 10 years. With how often I shoot, it may just be time efficient for me to buy rounds when I need/want too.

If I were to sell, what would this stuff be valued at?
View Quote

Around here?  If you are lucky, find out the online price, and halve it, if the stars align you might get that much.  And they'll expect you to eat the shipping too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If you bought powder and primers 10 years ago you could probably sell below current market value and still make a profit.

Not sure on the press, Dillon usually gets about 80% of new.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my coworkers bought a very similar used package locally within the last year for $1500. I think it was 9mm, 40s&w & 223.  Came with a ton of components that on their own were probably worth the asking price.  Guy could have done better if he split it up and was willing to ship but he just want to make one local deal and be done.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It really depends on the primers/powders and qty of both.  

A basic LNL AP is like $500-600 full retail.  So maybe $300...  If you have the case feeder/bullet feeder stuff it would be more obviously.  

Used die sets realistically sell anywhere from $10 to $40, depending on the brand.  Lately have paid less than $10 for used and new LEE dies, up to $20 for a never used Hornady titanium set, or $25 for an excellent RCBS set.  

Powder at gun shows is slow to sell even at $25-30 for sealed cans.  Figure $20-25 a lb at most realistically.  I bought a bunch yesterday anywhere from $22-30 a lb.  

Primers- will sell fast in the $40-50 range per k.  Maybe more if they are large rifle or more in demand ones….

So you can use that info to do the math, otherwise we are all just guessing at what you have.  People won’t pay anywhere near the retail price on stuff, especially powder or primers where you don’t know the history of it or how it was stored.  Rarely have seen any sold that was bad, but it does happen once in a while

Personally- I would not sell it off unless you are in a financial bind.  I took a 20+ year break from reloading before getting back into it seriously.  Was happy I never sold off any of my equipment when that day came…
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:
It really depends on the primers/powders and qty of both.  

A basic LNL AP is like $500-600 full retail.  So maybe $300...  If you have the case feeder/bullet feeder stuff it would be more obviously.  

Used die sets realistically sell anywhere from $10 to $40, depending on the brand.  Lately have paid less than $10 for used and new LEE dies, up to $20 for a never used Hornady titanium set, or $25 for an excellent RCBS set.  

Powder at gun shows is slow to sell even at $25-30 for sealed cans.  Figure $20-25 a lb at most realistically.  I bought a bunch yesterday anywhere from $22-30 a lb.  

Primers- will sell fast in the $40-50 range per k.  Maybe more if they are large rifle or more in demand ones….

So you can use that info to do the math, otherwise we are all just guessing at what you have.  People won’t pay anywhere near the retail price on stuff, especially powder or primers where you don’t know the history of it or how it was stored.  Rarely have seen any sold that was bad, but it does happen once in a while

Personally- I would not sell it off unless you are in a financial bind.  I took a 20+ year break from reloading before getting back into it seriously.  Was happy I never sold off any of my equipment when that day came…
View Quote

Thank you, and thank you everyone! I’m leaning toward keeping it and getting it better organized. Sure money hurts right now but who isn’t? I’d love to sit down and crank out some rounds and head to the range, it’s just not as easy any more.  Guess I could sell off my primers and powder just to get new stuff that’s fresh in the future, but really, what’s it hurt having it for a rainy day in a sealed ammo can.

Looks like I’ve got a lb of h335 never opened
And about 2.5 lbs of  Winchester 231. Side note, one bottle has been open but sealed- still good or toss?

8000 small pistol primers
3400 large pistol primers
1000 small rifle primers

Can’t find my bullets right now, no idea what I’ve got there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep it ! I took nearly a 15+ year break building my house getting my kids to soccer etc.. now they are all going off to college or married or just driving themselves to practice. Got my bench set back up cranked out some pistol loads with some older components and now back at it. I tossed some older powder that had weird smell but my primers were still good. Even dug out my dad’s old Mec shotgun loader ( hadn’t been used in almost 35 years) casting, powder coating, load testing rifle loads. Just adds to the fun.  I don’t shoot competitions anymore and only hunt with a bow. But still like the process of making my own tailored loads for whatever project gun I'm playing with.  Find it relaxing to get away from the daily grind- phone/ tv/ etc.. and just enjoy making something.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Thank you, and thank you everyone! I’m leaning toward keeping it and getting it better organized. Sure money hurts right now but who isn’t? I’d love to sit down and crank out some rounds and head to the range, it’s just not as easy any more.  Guess I could sell off my primers and powder just to get new stuff that’s fresh in the future, but really, what’s it hurt having it for a rainy day in a sealed ammo can.

And about 2.5 lbs of  Winchester 231. Side note, one bottle has been open but sealed- still good or toss?

1000 small rifle primers

View Quote

Don’t sell off the primers and powder to get “fresher” stuff.  Primers will last dang near forever if stored OK.  Hell you can wash them in a wet tumbler on accident and they will still fire off when dried!  

Powder can deteriorate but it is uncommon.  Just smell it and look at it on a white sheet of paper.  (Search threads here for “old powder” or similar).  

Been loading with mid 90’s powder lately.  Works fine.  Oldest I have used was probably made in the 50’s or 60’s…. Have seen a few times where it deteriorated but did not know how it was stored prior, I assume it was in a shed where it got cold and hot frequently though.  Single base and double base powders can deteriorate at different rates as well, I can’t recall which one lasts longer off the top of my head though.

Short version- it is likely fine to use.    
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Don’t sell off the primers and powder to get “fresher” stuff.  Primers will last dang near forever if stored OK.  Hell you can wash them in a wet tumbler on accident and they will still fire off when dried!  

Powder can deteriorate but it is uncommon.  Just smell it and look at it on a white sheet of paper.  (Search threads here for “old powder” or similar).  

Been loading with mid 90’s powder lately.  Works fine.  Oldest I have used was probably made in the 50’s or 60’s…. Have seen a few times where it deteriorated but did not know how it was stored prior, I assume it was in a shed where it got cold and hot frequently though.  Single base and double base powders can deteriorate at different rates as well, I can’t recall which one lasts longer off the top of my head though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

1000 small rifle primers

Thank you for the information. I’ve got everything stored in cans and in a cool dry area. I’ll be holding on to it based on everyone’s input, once again, thank you everyone!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Your components can not be replaced at the cost you have in them.
Keep the stuff.

Hornady equipment does not retain value like that of Dillon.  Just a simple fact. You have decent calibers and decent equipment.  It makes sense to keep it, because replacement would cost
you dearly! Just maybe take some preservative precautions with some desiccant!

Gosh when we suffered the after effects of Obama being re-elected and Sandy Hook people were paying $100 for Hornady LNL AP plates alone!  
People were paying $100's over retail on Dillon stuff too.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're going to keep everything in good condition and not sitting in a garage or storage bin were rust and moisture will occur then consider keeping it.

If the stuff will sit and rust you might as well sell and when your ready to start again, upgrade to the latest presses and equipment.

The other option is keeping some of the equipment.  Maybe a single stage, manual scale, dies... easier to store and ready to go whenever you get back into it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top