Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2020 12:45:09 AM EDT
Curious what people are using for ammunition in a suppressed rimfire firearm? Looking for subsonic precision, and would be happy with Remington ThunderBolt bulk if it shot straight, landed true and wasnt loud but the fact is I think I'll need to step up a bit more.

Curious what people are using (if they are using anything at all)
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I think all match ammo should be subsonic.

I use Wolf.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What does it matter? It’s not like you can buy any.

I like CCI standard velocity and Aguila standard velocity. My all time favorite was RWS HP with the big cross shaped HP. It seemed to shoot well in anything but I haven't seen any in years. In matches I like Wolf and green tag. They are considered lower end match rounds but I like them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Gemtech and CCI are my top two choices. As I understand Gemtech is loaded by CCI.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Put these behind a proper barrel length and a good supressor, all you hear is trigger and round impact.
Semi-auto is more noise, bolt action, makes ya giggle!

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/blazer/blazer_rimfire/4-21.html

Federal amd cci makes these, do NOT  buy the 525 round box thats federal cheap shit!
The 500 box is CCI match.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use Wolf.
View Quote

Any good match ammo is, I also use Wolf/SK (same thing).
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

BINGO
Out of my CZ this fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does it matter? It’s not like you can buy any.

View Quote

Buds has it, but is a little expensive and you often have to spend the $30 or so a year to be a Team Bud's member.  Unlike previous panics, .22lr is not the first thing to fly off the shelves.  PSA and SMKW have had it in stock recently as well.  My favorite is AE Suppressor, but that has not been around in a while and was somewhat limited to a handful of big sellers to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use Wolf.

I thought there were several companies that offered high velocity match ammo? I always assumed it was intended for semi autos.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
For plinking CCI standard Velocity

Actively looking for Eley, RWS, Lapua and or fiocchi loadings or CCI Green Tag.

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had pretty good luck with winchester's M-22 45g subsonic stuff. It's certainly no cci standard, or eley etc, but it does the trick for shooting steel.  
I've found it to be pretty consistent velocity out of my 21" lilja, and think I've maybe had one dud after an easy 3000 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Scarcity is an issue right now, but almost invariably a European made standard velocity ammo ( the term used for subsonic ammo before the word subsonic came into vogue- the term subsonic seems to have replaced tactical as the latest buzz word) is what you will find most consistent and accurate.
Eley, sk, lapua, rws for the most part I don’t even bother with domestic manufacturers as quality control consistency and accuracy is all marginal, with the possible exception of CCI.right now I can buy eley for less than the lower quality domestic stuff that is panic priced.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought there were several companies that offered high velocity match ammo? I always assumed it was intended for semi autos.
View Quote

There is no such thing as high velocity match ammo. Some companies make high velocity and add the word match or target to it as a marketing gimmick ( federal auto match is a perfect example) but none of it has the consistency or accuracy of standards velocity. You might find the rare gun that shots bargain high velocity ammo very well, but this would be a rare exception to a broad rule
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as high velocity match ammo. Some companies make high velocity and add the word match or target to it as a marketing gimmick ( federal auto match is a perfect example) but none of it has the consistency or accuracy of standards velocity. You might find the rare gun that shots bargain high velocity ammo very well, but this would be a rare exception to a broad rule
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever try to explain bullet transonic instability to a know-it-all idiot?  Well, don't - you'll just get frustrated and walk away shaking your head.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ever try to explain bullet transonic instability to a know-it-all idiot?  Well, don't - you'll just get frustrated and walk away shaking your head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stuff I found before was 1200fps I think for that very reason. I just can’t remember where the heck I saw it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

No longer.  About a year ago Lapua/SK stopped making the Wolf, and the Wolf branded 22 ammo is now made by Ely.  Still good stuff - if your guns like Ely.

Unfortunately for me, in the dozen or so rifles I've tried various Ely offerings in the equivalent (cost wise) Lapua/SK offering shot better.

As to the OP question - Any of the medium to high end target ammos - SK/Lapua, Ely, RWS, GECO (made by RWS) - should do it for you.  If this current ammo panic ends up being like the Sandy Hook/Obama II panic, then these ammos will stay fairly consistent in price compared to pre-panic times and availability should remain good.  If you are gonna pay 15-20 cents/round for rimfire, you may as well shoot the good stuff.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top