Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 4:15:12 PM EDT
I’ve never looked at turkey loads but since a friend invited me along this year I figured I should see if I could find anything.  I was waiting for my wife to come out of surgery yesterday and stopped into a Scheels store. I thought I might need to drive back to the ER and get treated for heart palpitations when I came across this...

Attachment Attached File

$12/shell!!!  I thought they must have miss labeled it so I looked at Midway USA. They are out of #7 shot but had #9. Their prices are even more shocking...

Attachment Attached File

$14.40/shell!  I know this is top of the line tungsten ammo but give me a break.

Can anyone tell me what this stuff was running pre-panic?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ye who buys it cheap and stacks it deep never doth need to worry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
But, yea, I can understand why you'd have to "trust but verify" at that price.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen them for $35ish for a box of 10, but that was in 2019 (I think).

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ye who buys it cheap and stacks it deep never doth need to worry.
View Quote

Trust me, I’m stacked plenty deep on what I normally shoot. I haven’t been turkey hunting in 30 years. Hell, I didn’t even know tungsten #7 and #9 shot for turkey was a thing.

I’ll dig around the garage and find something that will work and that only only cost me at most $10/25rds. I’m just curious as to how much of a premium this stuff is currently running.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Decent #5 lead out of a full choke is fine.  I have killed my share of turkeys with that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Decent #5 lead out of a full choke is fine.  I have killed my share of turkeys with that.
View Quote

Thanks Bud.  

I would definitely pay $35/10rd for that stuff just to try it. But $35 for three shells...lol, no. I can buy a lot of Butterballs for those prices.

I have plenty of lead #5 laying around that I can use.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They've been having that stuff at my local sportsman's regularly. I can't quite the price, but it didn't raise my eyebrow, so probably under $10/5.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Benelli Super Vinci for waterfowl/turkey. Heavy Shot pre-COVID was around $35-45 per 5rd box. I'm not sure about Federal, but it's a premium load. I would think pre-pandemic is on par with HeavyShot pricing.

I am not a Winchester guns/ammo fan at all, but I will say that they're 3.5" XR Longbeard is phenomenal and (used to be) cheap at $19-23 a box of 10. If you can find it, there is a high likelihood it will pattern in your gun. All my buddies use it as well out of their Remington, Stoeger, Benelli, and Mossberg. Two of them have the JellyHead choke tubes and the two other guys have Carlson's, while I use a Kick's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Scheels is often a bit on the high end of prices have been since 2012.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Benelli Super Vinci for waterfowl/turkey. Heavy Shot pre-COVID was around $35-45 per 5rd box. I'm not sure about Federal, but it's a premium load. I would think pre-pandemic is on par with HeavyShot pricing.

I am not a Winchester guns/ammo fan at all, but I will say that they're 3.5" XR Longbeard is phenomenal and (used to be) cheap at $19-23 a box of 10. If you can find it, there is a high likelihood it will pattern in your gun. All my buddies use it as well out of their Remington, Stoeger, Benelli, and Mossberg. Two of them have the JellyHead choke tubes and the two other guys have Carlson's, while I use a Kick's.
View Quote

Holy crap, you’re not kidding. I found some Winchester 3.5” XR Longbeard locally and patterned it today. Using a 26” Beretta Xtreme Plus with factory full choke at 50 yards I got this spread.

Attachment Attached File

Very happy with that!

I have no idea why my photos keep showing up rotated 90*.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top