Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2024 2:26:43 PM EDT
Which Reading powder measure would you chose to throw Varget for a 6 BR cartridge?

The barrel is on the way. I am figuring the charge will end up in the 28 to 32 grain range probably pretty close to 30.

I'd like a 10X but it might not get me all the way there.

N140, N150, and N540 are also possibilities.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The Redding BR-30 powder measure was specifically designed to measure powder throws around 30 grains. IMO, the BR-3 is just as good, but allows for much higher throw weights.

I own and use a Harrell's powder measure. The repeatability is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#2]
What makes one volumetric measure any better than another?

Ease of adjustment is a given (a backlash-free micrometer drive vs a simple bolt) but there must be other things.

Why spend beau coups bucks on a volumetric measure instead of an automated thrower like AutoTrickler?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#3]
You may laugh,  but I bought a lee perfect powder measure some years ago for l9ad development.

It threw varget so damn well and spot on.  I was shocked.

Leaks like a broken faucet with finer grain powders like H110 though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grumple:
You may laugh,  but I bought a lee perfect powder measure some years ago for l9ad development.

Leaks like a broken faucet with finer grain powders like H110 though.
View Quote

Oddly, I bought one for that reason and it failed miserably.  Also leaks with fine powder.  Total WOM
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Ease of adjustment is a given (a backlash-free micrometer drive vs a simple bolt) but there must be other things.

Why spend beau coups bucks on a volumetric measure instead of an automated thrower like AutoTrickler?
View Quote

The price!  I have seen people defend (insert whatever brand here) because "reasons".  Im sorry, volumetric is less based on the brand, and more about the powder youre throwing.  There isnt some magic thrower out there that much better than the rest.  And when you ask them to actually prove it, they disappear or make excuses.
Ironically the Lee Deluxe PPM might honestly be the best one out there due to it using a wiper in its design so it can more easily throw chunkier powders with less cutting.  If youre throwing short cut extruded or ball, pretty much any volumetric that is well made can do that with real accuracy.
Ive proven that my Hornady drop can drop within +/- .04 using powders like 8208 and +/- .02 with ball powders verified on my FX120i in 50 drop averages.  

Automated systems like the AT are the way to go because we are weighing powder by the grain, not by volume in 99% of cases.  Being able to actually get powder weights to a single kernel is far greater accuracy than just about anyone needs.  If a grain or two of powder takes you out of a node, then you probably need to do some more work tuning up your load.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've loaded tens of thousands of 556 with Varget, I use a Dillon 650 with a Quick Measure and it is very acurate     Jon P.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:29:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#7]
back when I was loading varget in my 6br cases I used a cheap ass lee powder measure. while entriely plastic and very cheaply made, and you have to smack it each load to make it load accurately, I hear its supposed to work well with stick powder. and you really don't need to mess around, 30 grains exactly is the go to load. its stout but works well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jondp:
I've loaded tens of thousands of 556 with Varget, I use a Dillon 650 with a Quick Measure and it is very acurate     Jon P.
View Quote

Here's a link, in case others (like me) do not know what a Quick Measure is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
So, I'll ask again, what makes one volumetric measure superior to another and why?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#10]
There are two ways powder is dispensed, by volume witch is the fastest but not the most accurate, and by weight , like with a electronic auto trickler, witch is very accurate . So when loading by volume witch is very common it all has to do with filling the chamber, closing the chamber and dropping the powder. Very fine powders tend to be more accurate because when the chamber closes it doesn’t disrupt the powder in the chamber. Now with long stick powders it’s a different situation when the chamber closes it may cut the powder and disrupt the powder in the chamber , so the powder dropped is not nearly as accurate. If your loading for extreme accuracy you have to weigh every round, although with the right powder measure you can get close, with fine grained powders you can get quite close, long stick powders usually have more error. On the Quick Measure websight he gives a good description,      Just my opinions, good luck.  Jon P
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Harrell's has a micrometer click adjustable dispenser that allows you to record and repeat your setting for future reference. Hand thrown is faster than an auto trickler, but that can be overcome by working between throws.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:

The price!  I have seen people defend (insert whatever brand here) because "reasons".  Im sorry, volumetric is less based on the brand, and more about the powder youre throwing.  There isnt some magic thrower out there that much better than the rest.  And when you ask them to actually prove it, they disappear or make excuses.
Ironically the Lee Deluxe PPM might honestly be the best one out there due to it using a wiper in its design so it can more easily throw chunkier powders with less cutting.  If youre throwing short cut extruded or ball, pretty much any volumetric that is well made can do that with real accuracy.
Ive proven that my Hornady drop can drop within +/- .04 using powders like 8208 and +/- .02 with ball powders verified on my FX120i in 50 drop averages.  

Automated systems like the AT are the way to go because we are weighing powder by the grain, not by volume in 99% of cases.  Being able to actually get powder weights to a single kernel is far greater accuracy than just about anyone needs.  If a grain or two of powder takes you out of a node, then you probably need to do some more work tuning up your load.

View Quote

I use an RCBS COMPETITION POWDER MEASURE w/Pistol small rifle chamber for loads up to 40 grains.  I cost me less than $120.

I also have a RCBS Uniflow with a Rifle Chamber for loads weighting greater then 40 grains.  I had it about 30 years.  I can't remember what I paid for it, but it has been fully amortized.

I throw and weigh every charge.  I use an approach to weight and I try to drop .2 of a grain low and trickle up.

As far as Automated systems go; they are not faster, they are not more accurate, they require a 2 cent straw to work properly, they are expensive, and when the power goes down and SHTF, and you really need to reload, your SOL.

IMHO and YMMV

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I only have Dillon and RCBS boom scales, so hard to say what the throw-by-throw dispersion in reality is, but my Hornady Lock-N-Load PM as well as Lee PPM seem to measure N140 accurately if your throw technique is consistent.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Digital Powder Scale and Dispenser, brand of your choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BobinNC:

I use an RCBS COMPETITION POWDER MEASURE w/Pistol small rifle chamber for loads up to 40 grains.  I cost me less than $120.

I also have a RCBS Uniflow with a Rifle Chamber for loads weighting greater then 40 grains.  I had it about 30 years.  I can't remember what I paid for it, but it has been fully amortized.

I throw and weigh every charge.  I use an approach to weight and I try to drop .2 of a grain low and trickle up.

As far as Automated systems go; they are not faster, they are not more accurate, they require a 2 cent straw to work properly, they are expensive, and when the power goes down and SHTF, and you really need to reload, your SOL.

IMHO and YMMV

View Quote

I dont disagree Bob!  I have 3 Hornady drops.  A friend has numerous RCBS drops.  Other than some minor differences with the rotors, they are almost identical.  They can interchange the PTX's and the Hornady case activated linkage works great on the RCBS units.  I actually prefer the RCBS PTX, works much nicer.  

As far as automated systems?  Yeah, the RCBS Chargemasters need a little tweaking, and when I had one, I did the straw trick and tuned it a bit.  However, while my AutoTrickler V3 may be slightly slower than a rotary drop, it is probably more accurate due to the fact the scale weighs to .02gr resolution.   Whereas a beam scale you might struggle to be able to see a .05gr change on the balance.  And yes, I still have my trusty 505 and a hand trickler in a SHTF situation, but overall Ill stick with my AT because I can seat bullets while the next charge is trickling up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

To use on a Dillon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By txgp17:
View Quote

As long as they cost upwards of $500 I would agree.  Anything less is unreliable.

Varget is a PITA.  I wouldn't expect accuracy to a tenth of a grain with a dropper alone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jondp:
There are two ways powder is dispensed, by volume witch is the fastest but not the most accurate, and by weight , like with a electronic auto trickler, witch is very accurate . So when loading by volume witch is very common it all has to do with filling the chamber, closing the chamber and dropping the powder. Very fine powders tend to be more accurate because when the chamber closes it doesn’t disrupt the powder in the chamber. Now with long stick powders it’s a different situation when the chamber closes it may cut the powder and disrupt the powder in the chamber , so the powder dropped is not nearly as accurate. If your loading for extreme accuracy you have to weigh every round, although with the right powder measure you can get close, with fine grained powders you can get quite close, long stick powders usually have more error. On the Quick Measure websight he gives a good description,      Just my opinions, good luck.  Jon P
View Quote

I don't necessarily agree that by weight is the most accurate. I cant say a powder measure is more accurate but to me volume is volume. The kernals may become more compressed together in a powder measure causing some drops to not be as uniform but a square centimeter is always a square centimeter. Any one who loads in a building that isn't climate controlled can tell you powder is hydroscopic and absorbs water which makes it gain/lose a lot of weight. Your 60 grains of powder may have been 59.6 yesterday and may be 60.6 tomorrow.  It may grow a tiny bit but it seems the volume stays more uniform.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

As long as they cost upwards of $500 I would agree.  Anything less is unreliable.

Varget is a PITA.  I wouldn't expect accuracy to a tenth of a grain with a dropper alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Originally Posted By txgp17:

Reliability of any electric scale (in normal price range) is what I worry about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Grumple:

View Quote
Yup, I've tested the Lee against Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and a couple others, and it was much more consistent with extruded/stick powders...so much so, that I have a few of them set up for Varget and H4895.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top