Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/4/2024 12:10:18 PM EDT
Hodgdon IMR Winchester Accurate and Ramshot are taking first of the year increases 18-35%
Alliant is about 10%
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They've already gone up 80% from pre-WuFlu.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
One place I go isn't to bad yet.
  And white box 41 primers at 50.00 1000 is better than most places.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Alliant is unobtanium around here
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#4]
IMR 35% range
Accurate and Ramshot 18%
Some of the ADI Hodgdon stuff only 11 percent like Varget
Only powder that did not go up was Titewad
Winchester 18 percent or more and same for St. Marks made Hodgdon

Guess VV will be looking cheap.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Pricing themselves and us out of the game..
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Is reloading now as expensive as buying factory ammo?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
one pound of IMR powder,....$59.99 at powder valley.    Umm no.  

They had varget in stock.....$389/ 8#s iirc.  About $50 a pound.  Not doing it.  

I’ll start making black powder by hand.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I was just doing some math while loading some 12ga 8shot target loads.  With the current prices on components i don't think its worth it to reload target loads anymore.  Once i run out of components i probably won't reload target loads anymore.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:

View Quote
Has been since '21.

Either components are a truer representation of inflation, or we're getting gouged.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#10]

View Quote

Pretty much. I've been reloading for a long time and for the most part outside of obscure rounds, and situations where I'm looking for the most accuracy possible, it doesn't make much sense anymore. Pistol rounds especially come to mind.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these brands all owned by Blackrock/Vista?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
I was just doing some math while loading some 12ga 8shot target loads.  With the current prices on components i don't think its worth it to reload target loads anymore.  Once i run out of components i probably won't reload target loads anymore.
View Quote
That is why I sold my loader and stocked up on factory rounds.  The price of shot alone is quite shocking.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:19:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#13]
It’s never going back down, only , up, up, up, up.. ( not for decades ) because before it was shortages / panics, these days it’s shortages, panics, government regulations, added antigun taxes, shipping increases, and the big one, inflation created by dumbass government policies, and out of control spending , shit powder wil probably be $100 a lb a year or two from now, primers $200 per thousand at this rate.

So if you need it, best take the damage and buy it now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Has been since '21.

Either components are a truer representation of inflation, or we're getting gouged.
View Quote

we're getting gouged.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
So I never got around to reloading have all the equipment brass and primers…

Never got around to figuring out what powder to start with.

Was going to try and buy some before it gets really bad.

I have no clue what I should buy….

Planning on starting with 9mm then eventually do 5.56 one I have some experience.

Does it matter what powder I buy?

Can someone suggest ones I should look for?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MrSelfdestruct:

Planning on starting with 9mm then eventually do 5.56 one I have some experience.

View Quote

If you can try and take a picture of what's on the shelf.   Post it here and ask or at home with a book  you can see what is compatible for your use.
   H-335 for 5.56/.223  is a solid pick in 55gr bullets
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
What about the Israeli/HAMAS war and the Russian/Ukraine war? Doesn't that cause a huge strain on the components that are needed for reloading?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGH456E] [#18]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
It’s never going back down, only , up, up, up, up.. ( not for decades ) because before it was shortages / panics, these days it’s shortages, panics, government regulations, added antigun taxes, shipping increases, and the big one, inflation created by dumbass government policies, and out of control spending , shit powder wil probably be $100 a lb a year or two from now, primers $200 per thousand at this rate.

So if you need it, best take the damage and buy it now.
View Quote

I'm not so sure about your thoughts here..................  

For decades, companies (not just reloading etc) have announced annual price increases.
Thats nothing new.
Yes, ammunition and reloading components have been in a cyclical flow of shortages/excess for decades now........... due primarily to political pressures (ie ban scares etc).
Thats nothing new.

And what isn't new either is supply/demand of markets, to include the shooting sports.  

Prices for most items (ammunition etc) are back down to "normal" levels............ it ebbs and flows ........... not "up up up."

Right now, the pressure is for these blanket price increases............ but those aren't connected to the core supply/demand question.  

So they will raise prices, sales will drop, inventory will increase................. and the sales (price drops) will occur.  
It's been that way for decades.  

So just my 2%.......... prices will jump up in Jan/Feb........... then as spring hits, the sales will drive prices back down.
Then in late summer/fall availability will drop as fears of the upcoming election come clearer and prices will go up.  

And the cycle repeats.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
So I was worried I was going to loose out if I waited to take a pic…

There weren’t a lot of options still in stock .

I bought hs-6 for the 9mm

and benchmark for the rifle.

Did I do ok?

Also how much will a pound of powder reload?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Has been since '21.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Has been since '21.

Ammo companies are not our friends. They'd rather sell 1 bullet for a million dollars than a million bullets for a dollar each. They don't care that they're pricing the average guy out of shooting sports or reloading. In fact, that may be part of their plan.

"We'll continue buying billions of rounds from you through our military contracts, but we're going to need some assurances regarding pricing on some of your "publically available" products...."

Private companies are screwing us, and our rights, at least as hard as the .gov right now.

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve been through it a lot. Clinton, Obama and all the other scares to make components go up. Inflation has something to do with it. Some people say I’m crazy but it’s everyone against us. They are going to price it way out of range just to get our guns one way or another. Yes all the wars put a strain on it. But the powder factory in LA catching fire? All the food plants catching fire? Vista being bought by a Czechoslovak company? The Chinese buying farmland and property surrounding a military base? Chinese spy ballon crossing the country? That’s just some of the stuff people don’t know. Red Dawn, terminator and I Robot in 20 years. Am I crazy???
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]
So I never got around to reloading have all the equipment brass and primers

I have no clue what I should buy .

View Quote
@MrSelfdestruct
Here's a good starting point for what powders work for different calibers.
https://hodgdonreloading.com/

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#23]

There weren’t a lot of options still in stock .

I bought hs-6 for the 9mm

and benchmark for the rifle.

Did I do ok?

View Quote

Divide your powder charge into 7000, that's how many grains are in a pound.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Yes.

Buy a manual, preferably the manual published by the bullet manufacturer you are going to use. .223 can use a lot of different powders when loading 50 to 62 grain bullets, you will need slightly slower powders if you load 69 to 77 grain match bullets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
What about the Israeli/HAMAS war and the Russian/Ukraine war? Doesn't that cause a huge strain on the components that are needed for reloading?
View Quote

That's what I've read is the deal with powder. The article said there isn't that many actual manufacturers of smokeless powder anymore and they also make the type of powder needed for mortar and especially artillery shells which is the focus right now.

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Below are some quick estimates.

155 artillery uses ~ 5.5 lb of powder per shot.

Ukraine is shooting 5,500 shells per day. That is 15 tons of powder being burned per day for 155's only.

They have been doing that for a year. That is enough powder to load 3 billion 556 rounds.

That is just 155's

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 12:01:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#28]
I literally laughed at the gun show table a few weeks ago, where I passed on $60 1lbs containers. He had at least a dozen of them of CFE223, which is what I was after.  Let alone the other powders. He had at least 50 pounds at the show.

Now I'm maybe understanding why, or question if it's one of those things I'll look back on and question why I didn't buy.

I'm not an old timer, but I've seen $25 primer cases and bottles of prime powder at gun shows and I'm worried what the new norm is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

Pretty much. I've been reloading for a long time and for the most part outside of obscure rounds, and situations where I'm looking for the most accuracy possible, it doesn't make much sense anymore. Pistol rounds especially come to mind.
View Quote

If a guy has been doing this a while and paying attention - he stocked up when stuff he regularly used was on sale for to have on hand for when it was not... :)

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: willyj73] [#30]
Deleted
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#31]

SNIP...

View Quote

:)

That is about the same as going to make a pot of chili and finding 3 beans left in your jar.

Or a milk jug somebody put back in the fridge with nothing but a milky film left on its bottom...

:)

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#32]
It's definitely gone way up, but still worth it, IMHO.  

I load 9mm on a progressive press at 600-800 rounds an hour, and I save about  $100 per 1,000 rounds (reusing brass or scrounged range brass).   It would not pay to single stage it, but then when did it ever pay to single stage 9mm?  

Top shelf Hunting ammo (Accubonds, Barnes, etc) is like $5 to $10 a round anymore, but I load it for about $1.50 a round, and I tune it to my rifles.

5.56 is about $0.50 a round for low end brass cased, but I load it for about $0.25 a round.   Kind of sucks, because brass trimming and other prep keeps me down around 250 rounds an hour, even using the progressive, but that's still north of $50 an hour.  

Definitely sucks balls paying 7 cents a primer and high powder prices, but still doesn't suck as bad a buying factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:14:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#33]

View Quote

For 223/5.56, there are so many.

I would look into TAC.  I have quite a bit and it seems to work for all bullet weights.  I think it is best with the heavies but it works with all.  It is a ball powder, so it meters very well when throwing charges.  It is reasonably priced.

For 9mm, and all pistol cartridges, I would recommend W231.  It just works!  It has low flash, much lower than many others.  It meters reasonably well.  It works in almost all handgun cartridges.  I use it it 9mm, 38, light to moderate 357 (not full power loads), 45 ACP,... you name it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:26:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

For 223/5.56, there are so many.

I would look into TAC.  I have quite a bit and it seems to work for all bullet weights.  I think it is best with the heavies but it works with all.  It is a ball powder, so it meters very well when throwing charges.  It is reasonably priced.

For 9mm, and all pistol cartridges, I would recommend W231.  It just works!  It has low flash, much lower than many others.  It meters reasonably well.  It works in almost all handgun cartridges.  I use it it 9mm, 38, light to moderate 357 (not full power loads), 45 ACP,... you name it.
View Quote

This. TAC is the only rifle powder I can stil find being sold locally for $35 per pound. Everything else is $48+.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:28:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#35]
It is the new year's beginning and it's time to update my inventory.  It takes a few minutes to do but is worthwhile.

Having a reasonably accurate inventory list is HUGELY worthwhile for stress reduction and keeping expenditures under control.

I'm reviewing mine right now, as I type this.  I want to be sure I don't run short of "beans for my chili" or chili powder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Curiously, .22LR prices are continuing to fall.  In a reverse of the 2008 Obama era run.  So while the ingredients that go into .22LR shells continue to be gouge-priced by the monopolistic practices of Hodgdon; the cost of .22LR is down to just 5 cents a shot now; with that primed cartridge with powder and casing, now costing almost half teh retail value of a reloaders primer alone.  (Retail that is; bulk shoppers can do a better).

So...

I'm buying 5 cent Mexican .22LR High Vel ammo by the thousands these day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

View Quote

That's what I use for my handgun loads (everything but full power 357 magnum).  I just cleared out Miwall of all their HP-38 and W231.  22lbs should last me 10-15 years.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#38]
W231 is a good general powder for pistols.  One reason i use it.  But it sucks if you want max velocity.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By reelserious:

we're getting gouged.
View Quote

I suspect this. Hodgdon sells most brands of powders and has control of most of the supply. The brands they do not have are considerably cheaper and have hardly increased in price through the last few years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#41]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

View Quote

I bought a bunch back when most powders were ~ $28.

Guess I'll have to use that up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there a press release for this or anything?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

It's certainly far less fun anymore.  Got sick of the constant need to swap components and powders and trying to chase anything in stock years ago.  Doesn't appear to have changed much.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#44]
They've already gone up 80% from pre-WuFlu.
View Quote

And that's WHEN you can find them.  Most of the stuff I'm interested in is either OOS, or occasionally in stock, but only in 1-lb bottles.  The days of being able to pick up a 4- or 8-pound jug whenever you felt like it are now a thing of history.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#45]
IMR was 58.99 yesterday For 1lbs of 3031 was all they had and about 12 1lbs jugs of it

SRP CCI 11.00 a hundred
Rem 6 1/6 small rifles cost me 103 after tax for a 1K sleeve. (97.00 per 1K)

LRP were 16.89 per 100 they only had six 100 packs left. Wanted them but didn't need them anymore then I needed the remmy primers I bought.

This was my local True Value hardware store.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Ordered 3# of powder yesterday, $170 with shipping and hazmat, outrageous.  I guess my competition shooting is going to take a nose dive.  

Back in the day I would cast bullets with scrap lead. 45 target loads cost me a couple dollars a box.  This allowed me to shoot a lot and hone my skills.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I found a lb. of Varget in the back of my reloading room.....marked $18. Not sure when I bought it, but it had to be 15+ year ago....
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#48]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

If a guy has been doing this a while and paying attention - he stocked up when stuff he regularly used was on sale for to have on hand for when it was not... :)

View Quote

Oh I did, and I still have enough to last me for a few more years. I learned this lesson a couple of shortages ago. However, I haven't seen any reasonable priced powder or primers in 3.5 years. Despite sticking up, there is going to be a point where I'm going to have to restock. I've been shooting a lot of factory pistol ammo recently since it's still fairly cheap. That let's me save my components for a time when ammo is high too.

If you are just getting started reloading, it makes zero since imo for plinking ammo in common calibers. Which is what most people are after.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By imq707s:
I found a lb. of Varget in the back of my reloading room.....marked $18. Not sure when I bought it, but it had to be 15+ year ago....
View Quote

That's about keeping up with S&P 500.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#50]

I bought a bunch back when most powders were ~ $28.

Guess I'll have to use that up.
View Quote

Same here, but it doesn't help people that are just starting out or those running out of components. I could have also stocked up on ammo when it was dirt cheap too and use the same argument though.

Stuff like 9mm can be had for about 10% over what is was non sale price 10 years ago. Powder is up darn near 100%, primers are up 2-300%. Bullets are up the least and most of them are still up at least 20% if not more. It just doesn't make much sense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top