Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2019 6:48:50 PM EDT
I was scrolling through through the form here and I noticed we show love for our reloading benches, press setups, what we did today in reloading, firearms and other assorted gear.

But we have not shown any love towards our powder and primer storage setups. Let’s see what we got out there for our storage. Maybe I can see a better idea than mine. (Don’t ask about mine,,,,please)
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a trap!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If I knew how to post pics I would show mine.. yeah I know I should be able to buy now.. anyway, used a side by side fridge and built 1x shelves with 2x4 legs from bottom to top on both sides.. have a light bulb on bottom hooked to a fan and thermostat (unheated garage) two of the rechargeable dehumidifier packs on top shelf’s. Temp stays within a degree or two 60’s and humidity constantly low 30’s
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Stack-on cabinet with 1x12s for shelves.  Inside is lined with type-x drywall (similar to the fireproof drywall put in safes)
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a couple of my old Napa shop cabinets.. they are light enough and have enough holes in them they won't cause an explosion...(would just blow the doors open)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a couple of my old Napa shop cabinets.. they are light enough and have enough holes in them they won't cause an explosion...(would just blow the doors open)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_1441_JPG-800094.JPG
View Quote
Plus with the map gas next to it it’s always easy to set off in case of a government raid.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a shelved & closed wood cabinet, 4 top & 4 on bottom.

Powder on top, primers on bottom & dies on bottom, that's the way it supposed to be anyway
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Plus with the map gas next to it it’s always easy to set off in case of a government raid.
View Quote
Meh, the torch was only there for a day while I was cleaning up everything from the earthquake...its back in its normal spot under the bench..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Only one powder on the benchtop at a time.  Today it is TAC.

There is twice as many conversions and bullets in this one now.  Old photo:

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My powder magazine. Easily holds up to 50 pounds. Two layers of 3/4" plywood for the walls, floor, and lid (rests on top).

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Subscribed, because I need some ideas on how to store mine.

What's the importance of the wood containers?

What are the long term effects of powder stored in non temperature controlled spaces?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is the purpose of the wood and thickness of it?  I have my suspicions but would like to confirm and know for sure. Ive been looking to get mine off the shelves and stored properly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I store powder and primers in ammo cans and pretty much everything else is in the open.

kwg
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:03:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Subscribed, because I need some ideas on how to store mine.

What's the importance of the wood containers?

What are the long term effects of powder stored in non temperature controlled spaces?
View Quote
In a fire they don't want the powder inside a container that will build pressure...(straight from the chief of our local fire department when I asked him about it a few years back)..His exact words were..as long as the container will protect the powder/primers from sparks and open flame and will not hold pressure he doesn't care what the material is..(he was looking in said metal cabinet above because that was when I was wondering if fit would be ok per the "law")..
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I store powder and primers in ammo cans and pretty much everything else is in the open.

kwg
View Quote
Yeah, you might want to rethink that one...
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m new to reloading so I don’t have much for components yet. I’m using my wife’s old safe for storage. It’s a Stack-On cabinet.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m new to reloading so I don’t have much for components yet. I’m using my wife’s old safe for storage. It’s a Stack-On cabinet.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223734/image_jpg-801456.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223734/image_jpg-801459.JPG
View Quote
I wonder since the door is pretty secure if you might not be better off if you hole sawed  a bunch of holes in the back wall to give it a "vent"
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wonder since the door is pretty secure if you might not be better off if you hole sawed  a bunch of holes in the back wall to give it a "vent"
View Quote
It’s not 100% sealed by any means. It is rolled on the corners so there are a few open seems on the corners and there are also several small holes that are there for mounting brackets. So unless I block them all it can not build pressure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Primers in an ammo can is a bomb.
View Quote
I replaced my ammo can primers with loaded rounds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The nice thing about a thick piece of wood, is that it's actually a pretty good insulator, it's soft (impacts), and while it is flammable, it actually takes a lot for a wooden board to just catch on fire.  It also tends to not hold pressure.

A steel cabinet or box is highly conductive, and will transfer heat into the interior very quickly.  If it's an ammo can, that's pretty much a bomb.

A plastic cabinet or box is less conductive, but also is still considerably thinner than wood - so will still transfer the heat into the interior quickly.  And will melt and pool (and burn even easier), whereas wood will hold its shape, even if on fire.

Best practice for storage is definitely a wooden cabinet.  Ideally with primers stored in a separate wooden cabinet.  Also, I read once that the reason the 8lb jug is the standard maximum container size for retail purchase, is because if powder goes bad that size is small enough for the heat dissipation rate the be faster than the heat accumulation rate, and the powder will not hit auto-ignite temperature (in theory).  In larger quantities, it's higher risk.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I make sure to keep less than 25lbs as to obey the fire code. Most of the 8lb boxes are empty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#28]
NFPA / SAAMI provide suggestions .  Many governmental entities adopt them as their own building code and possible amend per local needs.

In the state of MN people are restricted to 20# of smokeless powder in a residence
In the state of MN people are restricted to 10,000 small arms primers in a residence
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
NFPA / SAAMI provide suggestions .  Many governmental entities adopt them as their own building code and possible amend per local needs.

In the state of MN people are restricted to 20# of smokeless powder in a residence
In the state of MN people are restricted to 10,000 small arms primers in a residence
View Quote
Id be in trouble then

Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Id be in trouble then

http://i.imgur.com/i18aRFI.jpg
View Quote
He haw, I won't say anything if you won't LOL. Why don't you buy jugs?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He haw, I won't say anything if you won't LOL. Why don't you buy jugs?
View Quote
I don’t buy powder online and my local store rarely has large containers of what I want
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Primers in an ammo can is a bomb.
View Quote
Makes sense.  I might have to rethink that.  I store them that way to keep them water proof.

kwg
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I trust that my detached garage and home can be counted as two separate residences in our liberal nanny state
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top