Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2021 6:15:58 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

LaCrosse WI honor guard. LE Memorial ceremony

Went through a M14 armorer class with the guys who used to maintain them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Our guys use garands
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing looks as good as wood and metal for a ceremonial rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Still use them here.

1033 program.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Neutered magazines.

Obviously this photo was taken behind the borders of one of the, ah, ... Unfree States.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of them were recalled for service because of Clinton’s stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
My old department still had some under the 1033 program.  We weren't big enough to have an honor guard though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Love seeing them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neutered magazines.

Obviously this photo was taken behind the borders of one of the, ah, ... Unfree States.
View Quote

For this purpose, why would it matter?  It's an aesthetic decision.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still use them here.
1033 program.
View Quote
This.

They're $100 per rifle in my state.
(M16A1 as well. We rebuilt ours into MK18 and M4A1 carbines.)

I scored the agency some surplus Sage EBR stocks for the M14 rifles not utilized for ceremonial duties, but most M14 users here prefer the plain GI stock for its lighter weight. (Honestly they're rarely selected over a MK18 or M4A1.)

We have a lieutenant who chose the M14 for its ability to penetrate vehicles. (He has a MK18 additionally.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A lot of them were recalled for service because of Clinton's stupidity.
View Quote
M14 rifles recalled from 1033/LESO? Where?
Didn't happen around here.

I'm pretty sure Anniston Army Depot still has thousands of them in inventory.

Obama issued EO 13688 after Ferguson to recall all the LESO 40mm launchers, tracked armored vehicles, bayonets, and "Large Caliber Weapons and Ammunition" (never got an exact description of what that would be).

Louisiana had 0 tracked armored vehicles and 2 M79 launchers (each at separate agencies). So they had to surrender them, and were out the $100 or whatever they paid to acquire them.

Florida had a couple of M113 APCs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nothing looks as good as wood and metal for a ceremonial rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Our guys use garands
View Quote

My team went to Garands from Chromed 870's.

I always liked using the 870 better because:

#1. NOTHING sounds as sharp as racking 7 of those  at each of 3 "READY" commands and hearing that "CHICK-CHICK in perfect synch."  
#2  870's were weapons we actually did use on duty.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Neutered magazines.

View Quote

I would think the smaller magazines help with parade drills.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would think the smaller magazines help with parade drills.
View Quote
This.

I'm sure they bought those mags on purpose, for that exact reason.

I don't know of any locale with capacity restrictions which doesn't exempt on-duty LE.

There are occasionally 20rd USGI mags available in the surplus (DLA RTD) system...

Last time I found a batch of 8 NIW and I think they're $2/mag (regardless of condition).

Edit: Here's one.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We had M16a1s that did make it to the field and had some M14s that never made it out of the main office.  

All got returned, the office got sick of tracking them down every time for the paperwork inventory required by DoD.

The upside is they bought more patrol rifles.

I would have liked to have a real M14 for awhile.

The A1 I had was a 1971ish rifle that was new in the box.  I still got the PMCS magazine that was in the box with it.  Heck I still have that cardboard M16 box too.

Sucker impressed me.  My first group with it from kneeling at 50 yards was a 1/2” dime sized group and I wasn’t trying that hard.  Better than any A1 I was issued in the guard.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We had M16a1s that did make it to the field and had some M14s that never made it out of the main office.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah I think all the LESO guns remained stateside the whole time. Some were never issued, and others just unissued since being re-arsenaled.

All got returned, the office got sick of tracking them down every time for the paperwork inventory required by DoD.
That's the sucky part.

The costs are appealing, but then someone's got to do all the paperwork (initially & annually). Then you're stuck with all the rules, regulations, and bureaucracy of the DLA (Army), and subject to the whims of lame presidents.

If any of the the controlled items (weapons, optics, IR lasers, etc.) go missing, then you're filling out a DD Form 200 FLIPL and hoping they don't suspend your agency from the program (which would mean turning in all the equipment).

It's no fun. We had an officer who resigned (pending termination) and I had to fill one out for the Aimpoint CompM4 he failed to turn in (that I'm certain he stole).

The upside is they bought more patrol rifles.
That's where I was hoping we were at a couple months ago, but our CLEO didn't approve that expenditure.

If we get out of LESO weapons, we'll try to get completely out of LESO equipment altogether. The only way to alleviate the annual reporting requirement is to turn it all in. (All the controlled items anyway)...

We can keep our un-armored M998 HMMWV, the UDT/SAR life preservers (which are just really well-made snorkeling vests), mag pouches, and everything else they'd normally sell to the public at government auctions.

I would have liked to have a real M14 for awhile.
It's pretty cool.

I really appreciate the history of them.

Sometimes I take one to the range and dress it in M14A1 configuration, with a selector switch, and play Automatic Rifleman like it's 1963.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

M14A1 20 rounds offhand bursts

More video clips here.

The A1 I had was a 1971ish rifle that was new in the box.  I still got the PMCS magazine that was in the box with it.  Heck I still have that cardboard M16 box too.

Sucker impressed me.  My first group with it from kneeling at 50 yards was a 1/2" dime sized group and I wasn't trying that hard.  Better than any A1 I was issued in the guard.
They're very accurate; fine weapons.

(Especially when not abused and worn-out.)

I tell my students that they can kill just as well as they did in the 1960s.

They're just not equipped for fighting at night, and they're a bit long for CQB.

Still super cool though.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Local Pd has two fully transferable 14s in their arms locker.  Had them for decades.   Doubt they’ve been to the range in twenty years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]
We have 6 M14s, mostly Winchesters and TRWs. I had a Winchester in a synthetic stock. My friend’s dad gave him a late 80s Springfield NM M1A and we shot them both side by side with match ammo, we both switched up rifles too.  With iron sights we shot paper plates at 100 yards and the NM Shot about 1.25 MOA  and the Winchester shot around 1.6 MOA. Not too bad for a rack grade rifle...
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My old department still had some under the 1033 program.  We weren't big enough to have an honor guard though.
View Quote

I could tell that you wereof, uhh, short stature, from your posts.
LOL, jk, That's a great pic, OP. I'm just hoping that it wasn't for a fallen officer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Obama issued EO 13688 after Ferguson to recall all the LESO 40mm launchers, tracked armored vehicles, bayonets, and "Large Caliber Weapons and Ammunition" (never got an exact description of what that would be).

Louisiana had 0 tracked armored vehicles and 2 M79 launchers (each at separate agencies). So they had to surrender them, and were out the $100 or whatever they paid to acquire them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of them were recalled for service because of Clinton's stupidity.

Damn, that sounds like a bunch of dem bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

#1. NOTHING sounds as sharp as racking 7 of those  at each of 3 "READY" commands and hearing that "CHICK-CHICK in perfect synch."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our guys use garands

That's actually a pretty cool idea, to me nothing says LE like the old pump shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top