BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2024 5:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QRB]
Please delete...
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By QRB:
"Thus sayeth the Crown - hasten thee to thy work shoppe, and there using lathe, files and diverse instruments of the artificer, thou hast this day our gracious leave to cleave the canon of thy arquebus in twain."

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53515432381_d1355609db_k.jpgIMG_2396 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

I have been wanting to have a few suppressors and an SBR or two for many, many years. It seemed utterly unfair that citizens just across the state border could have these things, while only 100 or so miles to the west, it was forbidden to me. A few years ago, we moved to a "free state" but one thing and another kept me from getting a Form 1 submitted. Honestly, I found the process daunting, and I had too many questions about supporting documents, etc., to have confidence in submitting an e-form. But Silencer Shop now offers Form 1 submission services. Yes, you pay a small convenience penalty for their help, but they do make the process utterly painless.

Less than two weeks later, the approved forms arrived via email, and I headed for the basement workshop post hate. This KUSA KR-9 was pretty easy to do. I used a good, true collet chuck to affix the barrel into my lathe. I was surprised to find the barrel in front of the front sight tower to have less than .001" run out. I used the back gear to keep the weight of the receiver from setting up any wobble, and took exceedingly fine cuts to reduce the barrel to the major diameter for 1/2-28. I didn't want to cut the threads on the lathe with that much extension, so I pulled the barreled action, cut and crowned the muzzle by hand at the bench, and used a close fitting pilot with 1/2-28 threads to guide a die nice and straight. Perfect outcome!

I had purchased a Dead Air Xeno "Wee Brake" and after a trial install, I cut a notch into the rear of it to mate with the spring loaded retention pin on the sight tower. No real need for this, as it was good and tight, but it just seemed a better approach than removing the locking pin. The resulting package with a YHM R-9 shoots well and is very quiet with 147-grain ball. Yahoo, I'm pretty happy!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53515752404_13bef7413a_k.jpgIMG_2392 by Jim QRB, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice looking piece! I've been wanting to SBS an AK variant of some sort for a while. I have an AMD65 that has the welded extension that would be easy to revert to its proper original condition, but I haven't decided if I want to keep it long term or not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Fantastic job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top