Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 7:30:26 PM EDT
Probably a newbie question but I want to run it by you guys. I have successfully developed a 45acp load using 4.4gr of titegroup and a COAL of 1.25. Crimp is .468. Have loaded and sent ~250 through my 1911. This is using Berrys plated 230gr RN .452 diameter

I am looking at picking up some Xtreme 230gr RN that are .451 diameter

Will this difference in bullet diameter impact my current load? Amount of powder/die setting/etc? I suspect it will change the position of my crimp die

Again I’m a rookie reloader just seeking some feedback trom others with more experience

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from functional reliability, you will more than likely have to re-check the crimp. It is really dependent on your bbl and chamber.

There are some magical moments when the small difference is digested and has no impact, but only on rare occasions.

How was the development on the current bullet? Was it tricky to make it work? If it wasn't, then odds are this one will not be hard to figure out.

Those bullet diameters often have a much greater impact on accuracy, so even if the plunk test works, and the feed and function works, you will want to go run accuracy too.

On lead bullets, if the diameter is too small, additional fouling issues can come up quickly.

On plated bullets, you may not foul quickly but you will still see the accuracy drop off suddenly when the bbl doesn't like the gage.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
This is helpful - thank you! Development was honestly easy with current load and this 1911 has eaten everything I’ve fed it. I just found this current one to be more accurate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If you found an accurate load, I would stick with it as a priority.
Nothing wrong with experimenting in parallel, but accurate groups in a semi pistol are worth keeping.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice on the crimping. When i get some t ime ill make another dummy and pull it and inspect
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top