Page / 160
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 3:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#1]

edit for deets!

Banshee 2.0
Esstac mid length tripple
Hesco 3810s, medium sapi cut
Camelbak Antidote 2L bladder

I am cautiously optimistic about the banshee but time will tell.  A few small fit and finish details could be done better... and if you are really skinny or really short you might run out of adjustment. Im 5'10" and if i needed to tighten the shoulders anymore I'd have to remove the pads.  Im also 210 lbs and if I was a healthy 175 im not sure i would be able to get it tight enough.... that said I dont see me at 175 ever again so I think Im good.  The infamous shoulder buckles...can't say I like them and I'm really surprised they don't offer another more low profile option, like just a strap...so far amazingly it doesn't seem to negatively affect shouldering or cheek weld for me...but again need more time.

Also just picked up a Ferro Slickster should be here in a few days.

Link Posted: 10/24/2019 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
DEETS!
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigjunk1] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Yeah I'd like some hard plates.  I do like the idea on the Banshee Elite with the pockets in the cummerbund.  I know it's stupid, but I'm also between what color to go with.  I was thinking ranger green or MC would match in environment in SC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CAKEPWNER:

Skip on the AR500 stuff, it's imported.

If you're spending Banshee money but won't put much on the carrier you'd be better of with something more minimalist, something along the lines of the JPC.

That said since you're looking at 10x12/11x14 carriers and said your "stuck between level III and III+" I'm guessing you're considering steel armor?
Yeah I'd like some hard plates.  I do like the idea on the Banshee Elite with the pockets in the cummerbund.  I know it's stupid, but I'm also between what color to go with.  I was thinking ranger green or MC would match in environment in SC.
@cdholmes I couldn't decide either so I got both.

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20191004_181258-2993x3991-1138268.jpg
View All Quotes

Skip on the AR500 stuff, it's imported.

If you're spending Banshee money but won't put much on the carrier you'd be better of with something more minimalist, something along the lines of the JPC.

That said since you're looking at 10x12/11x14 carriers and said your "stuck between level III and III+" I'm guessing you're considering steel armor?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425212/20191004_181258-2993x3991-1138268.jpg
Thinking when it's time to upgrade my PC it's going to be the Daeodon. Was really liking the way it fit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

Thinking when it's time to upgrade my PC it's going to be the Daeodon. Was really liking the way it fit.
View Quote
I really like it a lot.
Originally Posted By Seiran:
You and a few others have me looking at the Daeodon Lite. Hopefully someone from Esstac will be out at Northwest with samples.
View Quote
The ASS?

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#9]
Lovin' the slickster.  super nice, and packs up nice and tight, easy to store.

9lbs 4oz total with hesco sapi medium 3810s.  no need for added shoulder pads nice and comfortable.

Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ferro and Spiritus.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:12:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NighthawkCx] [#12]
Spiritus Systems LV-119 Overt in Multicam Black

Shaw Concepts 5.56 Elastic Placard in Multicam Black (Has a built in Elastic tourniquet holder on the bottom that you can't see when it sits empty like this, and you can hold pens/chemlights/etc. in the two loops on the side or you can run a cord lock/paracord to hold tourniquets or bigger items like the Spiritus Systems bank robber.)

MOS Tactical 2-Band Skeletal Cummerbund w/ First Spear Tubes in Multicam Black

Perroz Designs Shoulder pads in Multicam Black

Spiritus Systems Expander Wing in Multicam Black (Mounted backwards on the cummerbund velcro to work with the tubes, I might switch to the Beez Combat Systems Baofeng pouch)

Baofeng UV-5R w/ extended battery and 18'' Abbree whip antenna

Modified Nexus amplified PTT with 2-pin Kenwood plug to work with my Baofeng/Comtac IIIs

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperMO] [#13]
No plates yet, still recovering from buying this and upgrading a couple ARs.

First Spear Strandhogg MBAV cut
First Spear admin pouch
Velocity systems swift clip system
Combat ready vertical clip adapter
Haley strategic micro chest rig

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

9lbs 4oz total with hesco sapi medium 3810s.  no need for added shoulder pads nice and comfortable.

https://i.ibb.co/VHvgYFV/IMG-20191028-151229677.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/CK1hNMV/IMG-20191028-151214536.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vDW1bvF/IMG-20191028-151200436.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a pretty good fit with the plates in the carrier, how snug do those medium SAPI size 3810's fit? I assume that's a medium slickster?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By rksonex:
Looks like a pretty good fit with the plates in the carrier, how snug do those medium SAPI size 3810's fit? I assume that's a medium slickster?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rksonex:
Originally Posted By Heineken:

https://i.ibb.co/VHvgYFV/IMG-20191028-151229677.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/CK1hNMV/IMG-20191028-151214536.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vDW1bvF/IMG-20191028-151200436.jpg
yes medium slickster.  they fit perfect.  i think one could fit slighlty thicker plates but would be tight.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome thanks! I was fixing to order that exact combo but I can’t stand a sloppy plate to carrier fit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisM516] [#17]
Crye Airlite in black.  Went with black for three reasons:

1. Working out with a black plate carrier is non-threatening.  Nobody thinks twice about a black weighted vest.  I use Rogue plates and found them to be very comfortable.

2. In a situation where it needs to be more "covert" wearing it over a black shirt is less intrusive.  In fact, it is fairly unobtrusive on most dark solid shirts.  The plate carrier is thin and slick enough that wearing it under clothing makes the color irrelevant.

3. SHTF...loaded up with Multicam pouches and accessories, most of the black is covered anyways so it doesn't make huge amount of difference in the environments I usually find myself in.

I'm overseas so for the time being it's mostly used for working out until I get back to the States and can outfit it with plates.  Probably getting a few pouches for the holidays :)

Edit: I almost forgot the fourth reason for black...the wife wanted one as well, but they had to match, and she wanted a black one so...better to have two black plate carriers and a happy wife than mismatched plate carriers and an unhappy wife or none at all.

Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ChrisM516:
Crye Airlite in black.  Went with black for three reasons:

1. Working out with a black plate carrier is non-threatening.  Nobody thinks twice about a black weighted vest.  I use Rogue plates and found them to be very comfortable.

2. In a situation where it needs to be more "covert" wearing it over a black shirt is less intrusive.  In fact, it is fairly unobtrusive on most dark solid shirts.  The plate carrier is thin and slick enough that wearing it under clothing makes the color irrelevant.

3. SHTF...loaded up with Multicam pouches and accessories, most of the black is covered anyways so it doesn't make huge amount of difference in the environments I usually find myself in.

I'm overseas so for the time being it's mostly used for working out until I get back to the States and can outfit it with plates.  Probably getting a few pouches for the holidays :)

Edit: I almost forgot the fourth reason for black...the wife wanted one as well, but they had to match, and she wanted a black one so...better to have two black plate carriers and a happy wife than mismatched plate carriers and an unhappy wife or none at all.

https://i.imgur.com/LVKpHyL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x5DY5t2.jpg
View Quote
I personally like black. Black seems like more of a tactical mission /SWATish set up vs. camo. How many civilians will ever be using their carrier in a forest, desert or jungle battlefield situation anyway? If SHTF and you are battling opponents in open terrain, you probably made some bad choices to start with. The most likely use for a carrier and gear outside the military would be traveling at night in a SHTF situation, so black makes sense.
And yes, black can still easily be covered with any camo pattern or other gear if needed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing to crazy.
We have armor on our rigs but if I ever have to get somewhere POV on that worst day I have my own set.  Or if that bad guy picks my house I’m good.

I’ve got a simple cheat rig to throw over it for the zombie big boowho starts.

AR500 Veritas with cumberbund currently with 3A soft armor but a set of LVL 3 steel ready to drop in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:

I personally like black. Black seems like more of a tactical mission /SWATish set up vs. camo. How many civilians will ever be using their carrier in a forest, desert or jungle battlefield situation anyway? If SHTF and you are battling opponents in open terrain, you probably made some bad choices to start with. The most likely use for a carrier and gear outside the military would be traveling at night in a SHTF situation, so black makes sense.
And yes, black can still easily be covered with any camo pattern or other gear if needed.
View Quote
If it's night time, do you honestly think that coyote or multicam will show up any easier than black? Unless it's reflective or a bright color, should be fine.

If you're out in the open, it doesn't matter if your PC is multicam or black, you're going to stand out unless it's covered. But if you're say in the woods, it does matter if you're wearing black or a color/pattern combo that blends in with your surroundings.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:25:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AIWB] [#21]
Originally Posted By vjf915:

If it's night time, do you honestly think that coyote or multicam will show up any easier than black? Unless it's reflective or a bright color, should be fine.

If you're out in the open, it doesn't matter if your PC is multicam or black, you're going to stand out unless it's covered. But if you're say in the woods, it does matter if you're wearing black or a color/pattern combo that blends in with your surroundings.
View Quote
It matters enough, actually, unless you’re running around in pitch black.

Yes, I know most don’t run NV but if the guys (whoever they may be) looking for you have NV you’re fooked. Black sticks out like a neon sign under NV.

And in low light you’d be surprised at how much better camo hides better than black.

I also thought like you until I saw this with my own eyes.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

It matters enough, actually, unless you’re running around in pitch black.

Yes, I know most don’t run NV but if the guys (whoever they may be) looking for you have NV you’re fooked. Black sticks out like a neon sign under NV.

And in low light you’d be surprised at how much better camo hides better than black.

I also thought like you until I saw this with my own eyes.

Cheers.
View Quote
Looking back, I guess I wasn't that clear. I was advocating for something like multicam or coyote over black. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll post a picture of my PC soon to make up for the chatter in a picture thread
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I know black isn't ideal but I wear these things often enough for work that I knew what I wanted for a personal carrier for the reasons I outlined.  It ain't perfect, but it checks the boxes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone experimented with adding a soft armor MOLLE cummerbund to a Ferro Slickster? I’ve heard that the one off a Mayflower APC will work, but would like to be certain before I place an order.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Anyone experimented with adding a soft armor MOLLE cummerbund to a Ferro Slickster? I’ve heard that the one off a Mayflower APC will work, but would like to be certain before I place an order.
View Quote
I don't have personal experience with the APC, but I do have a Slickster. I can't see why any cumberbund of proper length that attaches by velcro on both sides wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to mention the new side pockets will accept side plates and therefore soft armor. Theres also a few companies that can make custom cummerbunds as well
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Few changes
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By vjf915:

I don't have personal experience with the APC, but I do have a Slickster. I can't see why any cumberbund of proper length that attaches by velcro on both sides wouldn't work.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking, and I did a little digging. Turns out the APC MOLLE soft armor cummerbund will fit on a Slickster just fine.

Now all I gotta do is squirrel some money away from the wife so I can get the cummerbund and soft armor.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
New to this...and want to get a carrier.
Hows the (((Modular Plate Carrier
LBT-6094A)))?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tooly:
LBT-6094A)))?
View Quote
I have the clone from AWS and I like it so far.  Haven't done a whole bunch with it yet but it's comfortable

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]
LBT-6094A)))?
View Quote
Depends on your needs.

For a lot of people the JPC really is as close to ideal as you can get, but if you want to carry a huge load of stuff then the 6094 or AWS OCPC (or similar carriers) will be better options. Then if you want to be totally slick none of those are ideal. All depends on what you need it to do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on your needs.

For a lot of people the JPC really is as close to ideal as you can get, but if you want to carry a huge load of stuff then the 6094 or AWS OCPC (or similar carriers) will be better options. Then if you want to be totally slick none of those are ideal. All depends on what you need it to do.
View All Quotes
LBT-6094A)))?
Depends on your needs.

Find the balance of your needs vs what you have available to do it with. For me, I chose scalability above all else. Being a full time civilian now, I don't need all encompassing armor coverage, but I like having the option to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:54:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#33]

Depends on your needs.

View Quote
Want good stuff...to poor to buy cheap. Dont want to hump a shit ton of stuff. Plates..side plates "maybe" mag pouches, first aid...as I get it, i will ad stuff. Need I believe xl. Im 6'2 and been told Im like a line backer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly] [#34]
This one?

So I can some how add a small back pack to this?
So I can put good good size plates in the front and back? Sorry for the dumb questions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#35]
You are correct.  That is the JPC we reffer to. It has back panels available.  But I'll caution you. Don't overload yourself. Long gone are the days of carrying everything on your person. If you are just starting out, you won't need much. PC, plates. You might be fine with a large. Ammo and med. Start there forst3but don't put on every piece of gear just because.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Want good stuff...to poor to buy cheap. Dont want to hump a shit ton of stuff. Plates..side plates "maybe" mag pouches, first aid...as I get it, i will ad stuff. Need I believe xl. Im 6'2 and been told Im like a line backer.
View All Quotes

Depends on your needs.

You can free up some weight if you forgo side plates.

All the guys I've talked to said no need unless you're planning on being static
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah side plates are not necessary CONUS. Speed and mobility vs. Protection and all that. Stay light
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok..no side plates. Just front and back plates.
Mag pouches put a small ifak and be done, to start.

If I just run that...would I be better off getting LBT carrier? Will it protect more of my body but still not to bulky? Thank you guys...I really appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#39]

If I just run that...would I be better off getting LBT carrier? Will it protect more of my body but still not to bulky? Thank you guys...I really appreciate your help.
View Quote
The only thing protecting you is the armor in the carrier. If the armor hasn't changed the amount of protection hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:41:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#40]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
Yeah side plates are not necessary CONUS. Speed and mobility vs. Protection and all that. Stay light
View Quote
Where would I be going that I need to be speedy and mobile?  All of my gear, ammo, food, water, etc are all at my home.  Where exactly would I be going?

That's my thought process anyway.  I can always scale down if I feel the need to go 100 miles west into the mountains
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Where would I be going that I need to be speedy and mobile?  All of my gear, ammo, food, water, etc are all at my home.  Where exactly would I be going?

That's my thought process anyway.  I can always scale down if I feel the need to go 100 miles west into the mountains
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:

I can't speak to your AO. But I run urban to prairie to mountains. If in the event I'm hoofing it, i don't want a lot of bulk. The bulk of my resources are at home as well. But i spent a lot of time working in and out of vehicles so i stress less bulk and snag hazards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

My philosophy is scalability.  Plate carrier. Front and rear plates only. Basic ammo load and med kit
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#43]

The only thing protecting you is the armor in the carrier. If the armor hasn't changed the amount of protection hasn't changed.
View Quote
I thought maybe different carriers had different size plates they could carry.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20180524_165544_jpg-1188207.JPG
My philosophy is scalability.  Plate carrier. Front and rear plates only. Basic ammo load and med kit
View Quote
What size is that...not for nothing and Im new at this stuff but that looks like it would fit on me like if I was to put on a 5 inch note book on my chest.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

Carriers (good ones anyway) come in different sizes, sized according to the size of plates you wear. You size yourself for plates and then get a carrier to match your plates. Carriers like the JPC, AWS OCPC, and LBT 6094 come in the SAPI size range, from Small to Extra Large. There actually is Extra Small as well but demand for that size is so low most manufacturers don't make anything for it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#46]

What size is that...not for nothing and Im new at this stuff but that looks like it would fit on me like if I was to put on a 5 inch note book on my chest.
View Quote
It is a Medium carrier with Medium ESAPI. Based on the measurements you posted earlier, it  would cover your vitals, but may not provide any amount of overlap. There is a trend of high speed guys wearing what is equivalent to "SMedium" armor. I would see if there is a tactical store nearby that has various sized plates. See where they sit on you and go from there. On my short 5' 4'' frame, it covers almost everything.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Carriers (good ones anyway) come in different sizes, sized according to the size of plates you wear. You size yourself for plates and then get a carrier to match your plates. Carriers like the JPC, AWS OCPC, and LBT 6094 come in the SAPI size range, from Small to Extra Large. There actually is Extra Small as well but demand for that size is so low most manufacturers don't make anything for it.
View All Quotes

What's crazy to me I found out is a lot of largish guys wear mediums due to mobility and weight preference.

I believe one way to size is nipple to nipple, so many guys are not covering their entire chest, just their core
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#48]
What's crazy to me I found out is a lot of largish guys wear mediums due to mobility and weight preference.

I believe one way to size is nipple to nipple, so many guys are not covering their entire chest, just their core
View All Quotes

How to size plates
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#49]
How to size plates
View All Quotes

How to size plates
Interesting article. Simply because he mentions down to belly button and that's longer than I've seen recommended from other guys
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting article. Simply because he mentions down to belly button and that's longer than I've seen recommended from other guys
View All Quotes

How to size plates
I couldn't imagine trying to move with a plate down to my belly button.
Page / 160
Top Top