Page / 160
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Doodles] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By armoredman:
@NavyWizard @PFran42

Well, with the wonderful gift from PFran42, things are really coming together. I stuck the CAT off to the side, to keep the front slicked down. I realized that a ton of gear right where you would prefer to get shot could be counter productive, especially to the useful lifespan of said gear. With the split front cummerbund design, I leave the left side at the perfect length and just slap the right under the velcro to make it ever so slightly faster. I am sure there are lots of tips and tricks you guys discovered/were taught that I missed, being a sailor so long ago.So, this is for now, still have pouches to play with and haven't really figured out how to dye the carrier if I want to, or just leave it the grey/green tiger stripe. The CAT might get in the way of the sling...thoughts? I would love an actual med pouch instead of my ersatz one - suggestions? That zipper isn't the easiest to deal with left hand only.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/new_one_6_jpg-1786963.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/new_one_7_jpg-1786964.JPG

View Quote

Looks much better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

LBT 9022B is my IFAK of choice.

And no one can day of your gear is going to get in the way of the sling. Instead of pontificating, pull it out of the safe and sling up and see what happens.
View Quote

I already did - it sometimes slightly catches. I don't pontificate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And no one can day of your gear is going to get in the way of the sling. Instead of pontificating, pull it out of the safe and sling up and see what happens.

How do you like to sling your rifle?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

Love the Galaxy's Edge KTF patch!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
Originally Posted By Alien:
This is actually the last thing I just put on mine. It has a belt mounting option though and I'll keep that hardware with it to use. I don't have a warbelt yet, but I wanted to keep it on the carrier for now so it's accessible. It doesn't get in the way much, but it's a compromise.

My tube quick release is a knock off and may replace it with the real deal for peace of mind, but I think my setup plate is finished for now. Despite single curve plates, it's comfortable. However, I hate how thick the shoulder straps are and how the quick release buckle is right where I want to shoulder my rifle. It makes it more awkward than it needs to be. That's really my only complaint about the carrier. I don't know if I will learn to deal with it or if that will bother me enough to replace the whole thing later. I think they could have designed that aspect of it better to be honest.

As it stands now, it consists of the following:

Shellback Banshee Elite 2.0
LA Police Gear Level III plates (yes, I know they are Chinesium but it's all that was available at the time and I'll replace them later)
Tactical Tailor 3 mag holder (may add those kydex retention clips)
Elite Spanker dump pouch
Gerber Strongarm knife
North American Rescue ROO M-FAK (plus an extra Recon Medical tourniquet)
Baofeng 8w radio & headset (should probably get a better headset)
Knockoff tube mod (can still go back to velcro)
Cool morale patches
Clips on the back to add my Camelbak hydration pouch if needed

https://i.imgur.com/AAG9quS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WEjRaJV.jpg

Love the Galaxy's Edge KTF patch!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:31:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightMiataMan] [#6]
First plate carrier, how'd I do and how can I improve my setup?

• Ferro Slickster

• Hesco 3810 plates, SC L front, SAPI M rear

• Haley D3CRM

• IWA M14 Smoke

• 17rd Glock PMAG (will be stepped up to a 24rd glock mag, waiting on GMWH to ship)

• 3x AR mags in a Coyote Tactical insert w/KYWI's

• Steiner AZ 8x30 in the front pouch

• 24rd Glock Mag

• Baofeng BFF8HP (Signal Stick antenna + 3.5mm headset adapter not attached, that's what the cable routing is for)

• CAT7 in hanger also from Coyote Tactical Solutions

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: northcoastwizard] [#7]
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:
First plate carrier, how'd I do and how can I improve my setup?

• Ferro Slickster

• Hesco 3810 plates, SC L front, SAPI M rear

• Haley D3CRM

• IWA M14 Smoke

• 17rd Glock PMAG (will be stepped up to a 24rd glock mag, waiting on GMWH to ship)

• 3x AR mags in a Coyote Tactical insert w/KYWI's

• Steiner AZ 8x30 in the front pouch

• 24rd Glock Mag

• Baofeng BFF8HP (Signal Stick antenna + 3.5mm headset adapter not attached, that's what the cable routing is for)

• CAT7 in hanger also from Coyote Tactical Solutions

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701430003878985728/801319123970818098/IMG_20210119_230538652.jpg
View Quote

Luk gud. I've had some dud IWA/Enola Gaye smokes, hopefully your luck is better. Why keep the binos on your kit?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:

Luk gud. I've had some dud IWA/Enola Gaye smokes, hopefully your luck is better. Why keep the binos on your kit?
View Quote

My primary rifle setup is a recce rig. Whenever this switches over to the 300blk pdw, those will be coming out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
You tell me right now where you got those shoulder pads!?!? So awesome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#11]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
View Quote

Rummaging around grandma's old quilting closet next to her crochet set.

That being said, you might be able to find some similar child's seat belt pads on ebay.....

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Spill!

You seriously made/stumbled upon those?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#13]

Spill!

You seriously made/stumbled upon those?
View Quote

Well stumbled upon, yes.  In a closet, no.  Sadly my grandma is pretty cool but not that cool.  Actually stumbled across them on e-bay.

*the only part of this "rig" that is made on China...."

As previously stated, under the search terms:

"childs seat belt pads"

IIRC

Eta:  I also have a set of TT's on the way for when these babys eventually/more than likely give out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Welp I went a little crazy yesterday, worried about what may be coming. Ordered 3 carriers and a set of plates. Likely going to configure all 3 slightly differently.

LBX Armatus II, Multicam Black. Liked that it came with the triple mag pouch. I got a Medium, so I'm likely going to set this one up with some Hesco U210s in Medium SAPI cut and keep this thing SUPER light

Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist, Multicam. Optics Planet has this thing for $95 right now. I ordered it to hold the RMA 1155 Level IVs in 10x12 I ordered. Likely will do a simple setup that includes a triple 5.56 mag placard and maybe hydration on the back? Not sure yet, but it will definitely be built out using the RMA 1155s.

Op Tactical Special Config Mayflower MBAV APC. OP Tactical is local to me. Their showroom is closed right now but I like the fact that I can hopefully swing by when they reopen and try some different things with the vest. I'll try this vest with the RMA 1155s to see how it handles the weight, but I'd like to get a large SAPI cut Hesco 4601 or maybe the RMA 1192s. I figure this will be a Level IV setup with the nicest plates I can get and a nice QASM/Swfitclip rig with either a triple or quad 5.56 placard that can also be flipped to a chest rig. Still lots of research to do on this build out.

I want to figure out plates and get them ordered before I start worrying about the belt/sidearm configuration.

Goal is to be able to LARP/Train starting in the summer with all of the gear so I can at least retool around the plates as needed.

Going to go through this thread as I get time, but I greatly appreciate all the posts and information being shared. I promise to do the same!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JHorne:
Op Tactical Special Config Mayflower MBAV APC. OP Tactical is local to me. Their showroom is closed right now but I like the fact that I can hopefully swing by when they reopen and try some different things with the vest.

Goal is to be able to LARP/Train starting in the summer with all of the gear so I can at least retool around the plates as needed.
View Quote
It's a great store with great people. Real convenient outfit to have in the central part of the state. A few friends of mine have the OPT APC and like it quite a bit, I think it'll work out good for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PatriotNC:
It's a great store with great people. Real convenient outfit to have in the central part of the state. A few friends of mine have the OPT APC and like it quite a bit, I think it'll work out good for you.
View Quote

Yea I have been impressed by them. I am by no means an operator or anything even close, but the couple of times I've been in there they have been fantastic. When I placed my order, I put in the comments that I'd like some help on picking a front placard setup. This was last night. They emailed me an hour ago with a nice 6 sentence response about what will work, what they carry, what they recommend, etc. It was really nice of them.

Hoping they open the retail front up again soon for me to head over and fondle some of their awesome stuff!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NickOTime:

Well stumbled upon, yes.  In a closet, no.  Sadly my grandma is pretty cool but not that cool.  Actually stumbled across them on e-bay.

*the only part of this "rig" that is made on China...."

As previously stated, under the search terms:

"childs seat belt pads"

IIRC

Eta:  I also have a set of TT's on the way for when these babys eventually/more than likely give out.
View Quote

Ha! I thought you were screwing with me. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JHorne:
Op Tactical Special Config Mayflower MBAV APC. OP Tactical is local to me. Their showroom is closed right now but I like the fact that I can hopefully swing by when they reopen and try some different things with the vest.

Pretty much all of my gear came from OPT.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

View All Quotes

Sorry, missed this one - two point sling around the right shoulder and under left arm. I'd post a pic but I am away from the house right now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Sorry, missed this one - two point sling around the right shoulder and under left arm. I'd post a pic but I am away from the house right now.
View Quote

You’re going to be hard pressed to NOT have the sling catch on anything. Try to minimize as best you can, but unless you have zero pouches on your PC it’s just going to happen sometimes.

When I know I’m going to be manipulating the rifle I swim my left arm out and just leave it around my neck to have some extra slack.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a thought. With the ersatz medical pouch alone it never snagged, but that is a really slick pouch. I will also just try to get used to it - that kanagroo pouch made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:04:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChicagoFoodie] [#22]
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By evo7011:
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

https://i.imgur.com/0Mnb0Rl.jpg?1
View Quote

Looking good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

View Quote

Looking nice. Don’t think I could ever bring myself to wear it at the range haha
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Nice!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Looking nice. Don’t think I could ever bring myself to wear it at the range haha
View Quote

Why not, too tan or too fancy? I plan on mainly working out in it for now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I'm still trying to get use to shouldering my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Doodles:

I'm still trying to get use to shouldering my rifle.
View Quote

just be lucky you don't have to wear soft armor shoulder pads also!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#32]

just be lucky you don't have to wear soft armor shoulder pads also!
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#33]

View Quote

I work out in mine. One of the many reasons I went with God’s Plaid aka M81 Woodland. I’ve read the weight doesn’t help with calories burned but my opinion so far has been it helps with the endurance. I also think it helps keep you familiar with your kit and how it feels and what your physical limits are. The pace you’re used to unladen is probably going to smoke you with 20 or more pounds added on. With ammo being such a finite resource at the moment it seems like a good way to keep training outside the range. I resolved a long time ago I wasn’t going to be one of those who take their plates out when it comes time to qualify because they are heavy and suck to wear over a vest
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By stoner01:

Thanks for reminding me...
View Quote

you're welcome for my cervix!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jonathon:

I work out in mine. One of the many reasons I went with God’s Plaid aka M81 Woodland. I’ve read the weight doesn’t help with calories burned but my opinion so far has been it helps with the endurance. I also think it helps keep you familiar with your kit and how it feels and what your physical limits are. The pace you’re used to unladen is probably going to smoke you with 20 or more pounds added on. With ammo being such a finite resource at the moment it seems like a good way to keep training outside the range. I resolved a long time ago I wasn’t going to be one of those who take their plates out when it comes time to qualify because they are heavy and suck to wear over a vest
View Quote

I've started working out a bit in mine, though tonight will be the first time with it fully laden down. I'm at 16.8lbs now (3x 30rd mags, 1x 24rd glock stick, 1x TQ, 8x30 Binos, Radio, Smoke) so I figure adding in another AR and Glock mag will put me around 18lbs. It's pretty light compared to most but it's still 16.8lbs that I'm not used to working with, 6.5 of that all hanging off the front.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]

you're welcome for my cervix!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sconnieVLP:

You’re going to be hard pressed to NOT have the sling catch on anything. Try to minimize as best you can, but unless you have zero pouches on your PC it’s just going to happen sometimes.

When I know I’m going to be manipulating the rifle I swim my left arm out and just leave it around my neck to have some extra slack.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sconnieVLP:

I end up with the sling around my neck a great deal of the time. The neck gets a rest when we're not on the move, or when we're moving but need to use both hands for something other than rifle tending. Plus, you can't flip it onto your back if it's just around your neck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Getting closer...

-Crye JPC
-Crye Shoulder Pads
-Beez Cummerbund
-Esstac Flap
-Hesco 4401 Plates

View Quote

Did you have to permanently modify the pc to work w the tubes and cummerbund, or was it something you just replace the oem one with?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By LFC2112:

Did you have to permanently modify the pc to work w the tubes and cummerbund, or was it something you just replace the oem one with?
View Quote

Just replace OEM, pretty simple actually.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#40]
Minimalist Home Defense Setup
- Crye SPC
- Warrior System Pouches
- IFAK (Quick Clot Gauze, TQ, Gloves, CPR Shield)
- Benchmade Adamas 375
- Ceramic Plates
- Homemade Single Point Sling
- Weight: ~ 12.5 lbs

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:39:36 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

What is going on with your e-doff straps there?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
Minimalist Home Defense Setup
- Crye SPC
- Warrior System Pouches
- IFAK (Quick Clot Gauze, TQ, Gloves, CPR Shield)
- Benchmade Adamas 375
- Ceramic Plates
- Homemade Single Point Sling
- Weight: ~ 11 lbs

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102065/CA7773E7-15AB-4EF6-9E01-66725C94848E_jpe-1792034.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102065/3579C4D0-03FF-4180-84B9-F590CBB76078_jpe-1792335.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102065/05AFB2BB-8482-4AE1-971B-A29A3FA28048_jpe-1792339.JPG
View Quote

May wanna consider adding a compression bandage to the kit. A 3" ACE wrap will do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#43]
Originally Posted By ARgunner0210:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARgunner0210:

Good catch, I tucked them out of the way while I was adjusting the shoulders to get the plate to sit right and forgot to route them back through to the front.

Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:
May wanna consider adding a compression bandage to the kit. A 3" ACE wrap will do.

It’s a pretty small IFAK, but if I remove the TQ I could probably fit a compression bandage in there. Maybe just rubberband the TQ to the PC somewhere out of the way
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
these dont look too bad.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Here is my JPC 1.0.  Had it since they first came out--it is probably in one of the first 300 made or so.  Pat Rogers helped me get it.

Front (left to right)

BFG Marco
Radio/mag wings
BFG 10 speed single
2 x Eagle double M4 mag pouches
Radio/mag wing
D27 admin pouch

Back
Zip on panel adapters
DARC style recovery strap

Left side cummerbund (as seen)
Seatbelt cutter
BFG double .308 10 speed
Custom dump pouch

Right side cummerbund (as seen)
EGL Pouch (IFAK and GP)
Stored weapons retention strap

Not much has changed for me on this.  Some minor tweaks, but it has largely stayed this way.

I use it for teaching, and I wear it probably 2-10 days a month depending on the schedule.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By billpete:
Here is my JPC 1.0.  Had it since they first came out--it is probably in one of the first 300 made or so.  Pat Rogers helped me get it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79024/IMG_7602-1794431.jpg

Front (left to right)

BFG Marco
Radio/mag wings
BFG 10 speed single
2 x Eagle double M4 mag pouches
Radio/mag wing
D27 admin pouch

Back
Zip on panel adapters
DARC style recovery strap

Left side cummerbund (as seen)
Seatbelt cutter
BFG double .308 10 speed
Custom dump pouch

Right side cummerbund (as seen)
EGL Pouch (IFAK and GP)
Stored weapons retention strap

Not much has changed for me on this.  Some minor tweaks, but it has largely stayed this way.

I use it for teaching, and I wear it probably 2-10 days a month depending on the schedule.
View Quote

How would you rate the durability, specifically of the hypalon material on the shoulder area?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By LFC2112:

How would you rate the durability, specifically of the hypalon material on the shoulder area?
View Quote

Not a single issue.  And I have worn it hard, in all sorts of conditions and in a wide variety of terrain/structures, etc.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#48]
I moved the TQ holder down, discovered the only thing that bugs is the cheap velcro patch on the front catches on my shirt. I can live with that. Then I thought, well, I have extra pouches left over, lets experiment, and added the High Ground Admin pouch/double mag pouch on the right side. Weird place for me to carry magazines, but they seem to be out of the way for now, and it doesn't seem to interfere with draw from the pistol holster you can't see. Pouch unzips on both sides, velcro top, to a windowed map pouch and pen holders. I think I have a pen and a notebook in there, no idea why. I will experiment at the range with this setup as soon as it's opened back up and the winter rains cease.

Attachment Attached File

@wtfboombrb , finally got a chance to take a picture, so this is what this antique ex-swabbie has set up. It seems to work for me, rifle hangs easy, mounts up well and fast.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I moved the TQ holder down, discovered the only thing that bugs is the cheap velcro patch on the front catches on my shirt. I can live with that. Then I thought, well, I have extra pouches left over, lets experiment, and added the High Ground Admin pouch/double mag pouch on the right side. Weird place for me to carry magazines, but they seem to be out of the way for now, and it doesn't seem to interfere with draw from the pistol holster you can't see. Pouch unzips on both sides, velcro top, to a windowed map pouch and pen holders. I think I have a pen and a notebook in there, no idea why. I will experiment at the range with this setup as soon as it's opened back up and the winter rains cease.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/new_one_8_jpg-1795081.JPG

@wtfboombrb , finally got a chance to take a picture, so this is what this antique ex-swabbie has set up. It seems to work for me, rifle hangs easy, mounts up well and fast.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/new_one_9_jpg-1795085.JPG

View Quote

You now have a basic kit! I'm going to make a wild prediction. The more you wear and train with it it, the more you'll change it by adding, deleting, moving things around, etc. There is no single "right way" in my opinion; there are variances even in the tight knit group I train with. That said, everyone in a group should know what's in everybody's ifak and how to use it, and how to quickly remove everybody's body armor. Knowing how to operate everyone's weapon is certainly a must.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#50]

You now have a basic kit! I'm going to make a wild prediction. The more you wear and train with it it, the more you'll change it by adding, deleting, moving things around, etc. There is no single "right way" in my opinion; there are variances even in the tight knit group I train with. That said, everyone in a group should know what's in everybody's ifak and how to use it, and how to quickly remove everybody's body armor. Knowing how to operate everyone's weapon is certainly a must.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top